PDA

View Full Version : Herkimer Diamonds

Dancinbear
01-10-2008, 12:58
I was lucky enough to take a trip to the Herkimer Diamond Mines in upstate NY over the summer. I dug up plenty of smaller diamond and the large one in the picture, still in the matrix.
They are double terminated quartz crystals that are only found in a small area in NY state.

EarthFaery
01-10-2008, 14:00
Ohhh I am so jealous! I've been wanting to go all summer but it never worked out, definately next year! I live only a couple hours from there:)

It's awesome Dancinbear! Enjoy it!

morticia monroe
01-10-2008, 23:11
I love it. :) Isn't it fun digging? That's my idea of the best day ever. I always pack my lunch :)

Beautiful stone. I have a good sized mineral collection, but no herkimers.
Glad to see another rock lover here. :)

faunabay
02-10-2008, 00:18
It's funny you should post this now......lately I've been wondering.....what are the metaphysical properties of the herkimer vs. just a "regular" quartz double terminated? I actually have a few of both and they do "feel" different so I'm curious about the differences.

Briar Rose
01-11-2008, 10:33
Dancinbear, next time you go please let me know. Maybe we could arrange to meet. I am on the western side of Mass in the Berkshires. I would love to go.

Dancinbear
01-11-2008, 14:33
Sure thing HV. I'll let you know. Can you sleep in a tent because I camp out when I go?

Next I want to hit the garnet mines in CT.

http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/trips/roxbury.htm

Is that too far for you?

WillowRose
03-11-2008, 08:27
oh wow ! I love herkimer diamonds :)