Lo Scarabeo Question

Shade

How does one correctly pronounce Lo Scarabeo

I have heard a few versions mostly:

Low Scare-uh-bay-oh (emphasis on the "bay")

or

Low Scah-rob-ee-oh (emphasis on the "rob)

Is it either of these or something different?

I have this horrible habit of mispronouncing words for years on end without ever knowing I am doing it. Sometimes I even prefer my own mispronunciations - I still occasionally pronounce the goddess Hecate as Heh-caught-ee (emphasis on the "caught") because that's how I first learned it from Ray Harryhausen movies. And in secret I enjoy mispronouncing Samhain because I can't get into the correct "Sow-wen."

My chief sin is of course pronouncing tarot as

"Tear-oh"

instead of

tuh-row as all of the smarter people I have met pronounce it.

Starshower

Hey, I'm a worse sinner. I first learned about Tarot from a Swedish lady who pronounced it 'Tah ro' and I still keep catching myself saying that! Eek, it sounds SO pretentious.

Looking forward to learning how to pronounce that sacred scarab beetle!

Cat*

Shade said:
How does one correctly pronounce Lo Scarabeo
I have heard a few versions mostly:
Low Scare-uh-bay-oh (emphasis on the "bay")
or
Low Scah-rob-ee-oh (emphasis on the "rob)
I say Lo Scah-ruh-bay-oh with an emphasis on "bay" and hope it sounds somewhat Italian... ;)

Lo (o as in lock)
Scah (a as in park)
ruh (same a-sound as before, r should probably be rolled properly)
bay (with very little y - sorry, I can't think of a better word to describe the sound just now)
oh.

And now I hope that someone with an actual knowledge of both Italian and "sound"-writing in English drops by to enlighten all of us. ;)

Cat*

Starshower said:
Hey, I'm a worse sinner. I first learned about Tarot from a Swedish lady who pronounced it 'Tah ro' and I still keep catching myself saying that! Eek, it sounds SO pretentious.
Heh, sounds like the German pronunciation... (emphasis on the "ro"?). When I speak English, however, I say "tuh-row" (with an emphasis on "row").

I always enjoy these pronunciation threads, particularly for their transcriptions of Italian/French sounds into English. :D

Le Fanu

It would be "Lo" (o as in lock), Ska (as in "scrap" without the r and the p), "ra" (vowel sound as in the french "La") and then finally "bayoo" (without pronouncing the y too much).

Complicated? The stress should be on the "bay"

i.e skara-BAY-oo. Difficult to explain these things, phonetics I mean...

But emphasising the "rob" doesn´t sound right...

Sphinxmoth

right or wrong, in public (meaning to one or two friends at most) i would probably pronounce it sca-REH-bey-oh. accent on the second syllable, same's you would say apostrophe.

*thinking about it, i rather like Le Fanu's pronunciation of it, tho

firemaiden

Italian pronunciation for dummies:

Lo skah-rah-BAY-o

(bay as in the San Francisco "Bay")

Italian vowels are like Spanish vowels, very simple.

Emily

I didn't know how to pronouce LoS either but I say it the way Firemaiden has explained it. :)

RiccardoLS

I think it's correct, except for two things:
Bay: there is not the Y sound. like in San Francisco Bay but without the Y.

And also you don't pronounce the LS name, ealse you attract attention. It's a Voldemort kind of things. ^^

ric

Sidhe-Ra

Ah...the publisher of tarot that shall not be named!!!