PDA

View Full Version : opal

devangana
11-10-2008, 22:35
hi everyone i just want your opinion regarding opals...its really one of my favorites...yet, some informations says it is unlucky. what can you truly say about opal?

eastarot
13-10-2008, 01:13
Opal resonates with some people and with some people it doesnt. I have a friend who loves them sooo much she collects them all the time. And I know of another woman who gave away her opal ring after she had an accident while wearing it.
If it feels right to you, wear it. I have a blue australian opal ring I wear occassionaly, its beautiful but its neutral with me - nothing good/bad

My teeny 2 bits:)

Haunted Wood
14-10-2008, 22:23
I don't think that any stone or gem can be lucky or unlucky, it's just a stone afterall. I think opals are quite pretty, and a unique stone to wear as I don't see many people with opal rings or other opal jewellery. Plus they come in so many varying colours and each one is unique.

memries
14-10-2008, 22:55
I have a blue opal ring Australian too. It is beautiful you can almost see a picture in it with the coloring.

I have had the most comments about that ring. The depth of the beautiful blue. How could anything so beautiful not be good ?

I feel good, love it and enjoy it when I wear it. I used to wear it every day.
Not to wash dishes or anything though. Now I am having trouble with my fingers. It only started when I did not wear my rings.. odd huh ?

I could easily buy every opal I see if that were possible. I thought it had quite a lot of strength in it and peace and for me always awe.

It is not my birth stone but who makes that up anyway ? I do not care.

The crowned one
14-10-2008, 23:05
hi everyone i just want your opinion regarding opals...its really one of my favorites...yet, some informations says it is unlucky. what can you truly say about opal?

They are a unique and beautiful stone. I can stare into a good quality opal endlessly. The play of light and colour is amazing. The only stone with the same amount of depth would be a ruby for me.

Alta
14-10-2008, 23:52
I also love opals and have a very luminous opal ring. Nothing unlucky at all about it.

devangana
15-10-2008, 17:34
thanks everyone for a very encouraging comment. opal is unique indeed and i seldom see them in our local store thats why when i got the chance i purchase whatever is available from the stocks. i got a niece who wanted a white stone so i was thinking of white opal yet i was quite skeptical when i read across somewhere of being unlucky...it was known to be one from history. thats why i asked your experties and different views of the stone. i am glad to get positive response from your personal experiences. once again thank you and more power!

Chronata
17-10-2008, 07:28
Opals are absolutely gorgeous. One of my all time favorite stones. Especially Boulder opals!

I remember reading all that stuff about it being unlucky too.
I also remember reading (though I can't just now remember where...) that the rumors of it being an unlucky stone were started by diamond merchants at the turn of the century...which was when Opals (and moonstones) were so popular that the sale of opals was vastly outnumbering the sale of diamonds!

I can't imagine that ANY natural stone could be unlucky at all.

devangana
18-10-2008, 00:23
thanks for the information chronata, its nice to know that opal became very famous and even still sought after all these time. not everyone though know what its properties truly possess. so intriguing....so mystical. just as long as your intentions are pure and good..i think nothing can go wrong with opal.

memries
19-10-2008, 23:30
This looked really lovely for anyone who lives nearby. Hope I can put it on here. I have no commercial affiliations.

http://www.opalsociety.org

diane drizzy
20-10-2008, 06:07
Being of Sicilian descent, we have superstitions for superstitions! Remember Sophia from the Golden Girls? Well you get the picture.
I was raised to believe that opals were unlucky, but of course I loved the stone and had to have one. A friend told me it would be ok though if she got earrings for me and I paid her back. Well we did just that.
Do I have to tell you all that I lost a stone from them that same week?
Should have listened to Sophia.

celticnoodle
20-10-2008, 08:31
I LOVE opals! :heart: and, they just happen to be my birthstone too. :thumbsup: now, I have heard that they can be unlucky to those people who wear them, if it is NOT their birthstone, but very lucky to be worn by those born in October. Lucky me! :D

however, I do not believe in that. if you like them--buy them and wear them! your love and comfort in doing so will bring you luck, possibly!

to keep them shining and full of color, be sure to rub them occasionally with oil--baby oil is fine, but it helps them to keep their beautiful colors! I never knew this till a jeweler told me, and I continue to do this with my opal ring. I also have a necklace or two, and many pairs of earrings, as my brother is not very adventurous and buys all us girls earrings for Christmas every year. I get opals from him every Christmas, and he also gives my other sisters the very same gifts each year too. :laugh: we laugh about it each Christmas, but it's okay, as I like my opals!

Nevada
20-10-2008, 09:27
Huh, I never heard of opal being unlucky, but now that I think about it, I owned a fire opal ring that was in my purse when it was stolen, many years ago! Wow...

Opal is considered one of my birthstones, and while I used to think I liked it, because I thought I should like my birthstone, as soon as I read that tourmaline is also a birthstone for October, I felt great relief. I love tourmaline, and it feels good to me. It's also mined near where I live, by a Native American tribe, so I would think the vibration is right for me having been born near here as well.

I understand opal needs to be stored in water. Anyone else heard of that?

Nevada

celticnoodle
20-10-2008, 09:44
I have heard that you should run it under water to remove the dirt and grime that may have collected upon the stone, and then apply some oil to it, to make it shine brillantly. never heard to keep it in water though. i know it is a soft stone, and will soak in things, such as water or oil.

Ambrosia
20-10-2008, 09:55
I believe Opal has a high content of water and therefore must not be exposed to extreme heat as this will dry it out and may result in the stone cracking. This water content is what produces the beautiful play of colours. So, I guess that maybe in the past, people may not have known how to care for this stone, resulting in it cracking, and therefore may have arisen the idea it is unlucky. If you look after it properly it should provide you with years of enjoyment. A beautiful stone indeed. (and I have also heard you should clean it with oil to protect it from drying out, as stated above).
Enjoy.

devangana
20-10-2008, 15:29
i had my share of being unlucky when i wore my fire opal ring. i just got it from my mom cause she borrowed for such a long time and i didnt knew about cleansing it...a piece of wood fell on me when i pass by it and i was really physically hurt. it was such a bad luck indeed yet i wasnt aware that my opal ring has somehow had a connection by that incident. i still have the ring with me and since i started laying it out during full moons...i love wearing it because the color became so bright and i could see the greenish colors that flashes within the ring everytime i look at it. now it became my favorite, i am also an octoberian and i couldnt just accept the fact that my birthstone will bring me bad luck. i fought for my belief and for my birth right that it belongs to me. i just wanted to know your story about opal and i am so happy with your different kind of views about it, i am enjoying the forum so much and hopefully more will share their comments for the benefits of everyone. more power!:)

sleepingcat
21-10-2008, 10:38
My mom has terrible opal luck. She's drawn to the stone, but every time she wears one, she's hit with a very bad turn of finances.

But her bad luck with opal led her to moon stone, which she feels very close to.

Universal prodding, I guess.

minrice
21-10-2008, 12:18
I think most things only have the power you give them you know?
I have a Mexican opal, it's really pretty and I haven't had any bad luck with it.

morticia monroe
21-10-2008, 13:00
I have a hard time believing that any stone could be unlucky.

That said, you couldn't pay me enough to prance around wearing the Hope diamond,,,,,

Have you thought about just keeping opals for your collection, and not wearing them as jewelry?

They can be very pretty even in rough form,,,

I have attached a photo of a few recent purchases,,,the pink one on the left is Utah pink opal,,,the one next to it is Australian boulder opal.

I love them just the way they are :) and no bad luck here,,,,

http://groups.msn.com/dlj/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=41

Alta
21-10-2008, 22:13
Oh gorgeous morticia!!

I have a pink opal ring and while rather opaque, I just love wearing it. I have never seen the rough before, so thanks for showing those.