To charge a crystal or not?

Musie

I have a question that has been bothering me and needing answering for quite some time.
I normally charge my crystals for their purposes, but do you really have to do this? When a crystal is said it will do something by tradition, would it naturally do this without stating a specific intent? I can see cleansing them naturally and giving them a gentle tap on the stone to wake them up. But the average joe walks into a store and a stone says it gives protection - but doesn't know anything about charging a stone and will assume it protects him.

Things too like certain stones are good for psychic awareness, etc. Can one simply wear it as a pendant to get that benefit? Or do you have to literally scotch tape it to your third eye *lol*

There doesn't seem to be much explaination on this. I have a crystal book, and web searched - but I usually just get a list of stones and what they are good for, but not much beyond this.
No one has actually said, you simply wear it and get the benefit, or at least I have not recalled that bit of infomation *g*

I currently have a tiger eye bracelet which I charged, which works for my purpose, but I wonder if it would have worked without charging it. I also have amethyst and quartz which I have with my tarot decks and honestly I am not sure if it is making any difference. I have "faith" that the quartz is absorbing negativity though.

What do you with your crystals?
And can any of you describe the benefits you've had with your crystals?
Thanks for any help with this!

Sulis

Musie said:
I have a question that has been bothering me and needing answering for quite some time.
I normally charge my crystals for their purposes, but do you really have to do this? When a crystal is said it will do something by tradition, would it naturally do this without stating a specific intent? I can see cleansing them naturally and giving them a gentle tap on the stone to wake them up. But the average joe walks into a store and a stone says it gives protection - but doesn't know anything about charging a stone and will assume it protects him.

Hi Musie, I usually charge my crystals if they are to have a specific purpose but I think that they would work for their traditional meaning without charging. The charging intensifies this IMO. A crystal acts like a lens or a battery, storing the power that you put into it and directing the energy to where you want it to go. I think that if you have a specific magical intent they you shoud charge your crystal but if not it will just give off it`s own energies anyway but in a more gentle way. Does that make sense?

Love and light

Crystalmynx xx

rostie

quote:
What do you with your crystals?
And can any of you describe the benefits you've had with your crystals?
Thanks for any help with this!

i've never have charged a stone...just weared/bought them when i felt the need to and they always worked...if i looked up later the properties of the stone i always was surprised that it was just the stone i needed at that specific moment...

next to wearing them i put some pieces (natural form) around me, just because i love them, but some for the atmosphere, like rosequartz: to have a warm loving atmosphere, amethist: next to my bed...

the next step i want to try is meditating with them, i've never done this before...

it's now i'm looking for more specific details about them...i'm looking up for wich chakra they work and try to put them as close as possible by this chakra when i wear them...before i just put them on a bracelet and weared them around my neck...(it worked too!), but like i said i've never charged any stone...

just clearing them and putting them in moonlight...

benefits:
a lot...i just pick up a stone that i feel i need and it helps me...i just can't explain it well...there was a period i feeled a little depressed, the stone who attracted me then the most was my green tourmaline...i weared it as long as i thought i needed it and it worked for me...i felt immediatly a sort of releave...i had to laugh more that first day i weared it just for silly things, it was amazing...it helped me healing...a time later i very felt attracted to ruby: i was very tighered and unsecure...when i weared it, it gave me energy, strenght, i dared more than before, i felt stronger, not so weak anymore...i felt protected...that's the way i use them...and how they work for me...although i think you can get more out of it...that's why i search the web for info...

another question:
i've never charged stones, just because i don't know how...can you explain me, maybe then they are even more powerfull... ;)

thanks!

Musie

Thank you for the replies! :) If anyone else has experiences, I would love to hear them too.

I know what I need is a bracelet for my chakras as well - ugh! *lol*

Charging - There are a couple of ways ways to do it, though there is probably more. After cleansing - use appropriate stone and hold it and with much heart/feeling tell it what you need it for. Another method I heard was holding it to your third eye and put forth your intent from there. Though I think if your third eye isn't open much, it isn't do as much good I don't know. I think simply pouring your intent/energy from your dominant hand (the sending hand) into the stone works. I feel the crystal absorbs all it can once my hand feels the tingles, then I'm done charging it.

I also just read recently that apparently silver (like a silver chain, bracelet) as part of your crystal jewelry gives some real oomph to the crystal properties too.

Kyrielle

I have always assumed that a stone will give off its energy of its own accord, which I know it does because I can feel it. I'm curious now about consciously charging or activating the stone to intensify or personalize the energy. I have to try this!

I have a book which recommends where to wear each stone it covers -- something like "wear on the right wrist" or "wear as a ring on the left hand" or "wear as a pendant over the heart." I don't know if following these recommendations helps the power of the stone. The stones I have set in jewelry often are not in the proper form that the book recomends.

If anyone wants to know where the book says a certain stone should go, I will look it up.

As far as silver goes, I have heard it is the best metal to use when setting natural stones, from a metaphysical standpoint. Exactly why I am not sure. I have heard gold or other metals interfere somehow with the flow or power of energy just because of the makeup of those metals. Copper, however, is good for conducting energy, especially a masculine energy. It is very nice as a spiral wrap for wands.

-- Kyrielle

Musie

Cool Kyrielle :)
What is the name of the book?

ladycj

A bit off the subject

I find it interesting that Silver is said to be such a power conductor for stones. Especially since according to legend, silver is one of the few things that could kill a vampire, or was it a werewolf? :) It is indeed a powerful metal, and it has always seemed to draw me far more than gold. (for some reason, the yellow of gold really puts me off. Which is weird considering that my birthstone is Topaz, but then again, I am more drawn to the blue than the brown/yellow variety.)

I never realized that you would charge any stone other than quartz. I guess I wasn't thinking. I've only ever charged clear quartz. I usually use it as a purifer for my energy, especially if I have been feeling very negative. I hold it in both hands, and use my sending hand to send in the negative energy, which I imagine is being "cleansed" by the crystal, then recieve it back through my left hand. I usually feel a lot better after doing this for a while.