Anybody ever take a correspondence class to learn Tarot?

Dancinbear

I was Googling classes in NY city and found the Tarot School. They offer a correspondence class that sounds interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has taken this course or had experience with similar courses. There site is:
http://www.tarotschool.com/

jenn

Dancinbear said:
I was Googling classes in NY city and found the Tarot School. They offer a correspondence class that sounds interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has taken this course or had experience with similar courses. There site is:

Can't pass any remarks about the above school, but I have done several correspondance courses over the years - one of the most indepth is one from Australia... http://www.learnthetarot.com Both Linda and John are very helpful and supportive. All delivered by email, so you can be up and reading very quickly. There is also a certificate at the end.
Hope this helps
Jenn

Umbrae

Dancinbear said:
I AM familiar with the individuals behind The Tarot School. They are outstanding, very highly respected, and have done much to further professionalism in our field.

They also host The Readers Studio which many members here attend every year.

Do a quick follow-up google on the Amberstones and see...

Splungeman

Yikes...incredibly expensive. I'll stick to just reading the cards and journaling. :)

At least they deliver to the point Umbrae would recommend them.

All Is One

Hmmmmm.

Well, DB, I learned something. That'll teach you not to listen to me. I would have said ...oh wait, I did say...various disparaging things about tarot schools.

I had no idea what I was talking about, really, it was a vague discomfort in the idea itself.

I believe that I said you should just buy books, and trust the AT members you just met in your area.

Umbrae recommends these folk so obviously you are onto something here. Good thing you posted this thread. I learned something.

SunChariot

That was teh first thing I did to try and learn Tarot, took one of those online courses. It was a great learning experience for me in my life, because even as a complete newbie, I could see a lot of it did not make sense to me. I gave it up soon after, but I did learn something that is invaluable about reading to me. That you have to find your own way and not follow blindly what others say. That has been instrumental to me to developing my reading style.

I developed a healthy aversion very early on to being told "how" to do things. I prefer to find out on my own what works for the individual that is me, than to have some stranger who does not know me tell me what I should do.

Those are my feelings anyway, I learnt to think this way in fact BECAUSE of that course I took. That is what started me on that path.

Babs

All Is One

SunChariot, you're expressing the things that made me say the disparaging things I initially said to DB about the tarot school idea. I wasn't talking about this particular school. Thanks for telling us that. I don't feel so silly now. I was just going on instinct.

I think learning tarot has many routes and many different paths, and if these are good teachers, as they seem to be, then that's one path. But for me, I also can't do the path as dictated to me. Books are hit and miss too. Maybe it's dependent on your own learning style?

SunChariot

All Is One said:
SunChariot, you're expressing the things that made me say the disparaging things I initially said to DB about the tarot school idea. I wasn't talking about this particular school. Thanks for telling us that. I don't feel so silly now. I was just going on instinct.

I think learning tarot has many routes and many different paths, and if these are good teachers, as they seem to be, then that's one path. But for me, I also can't do the path as dictated to me. Books are hit and miss too. Maybe it's dependent on your own learning style?
I know what you mean, but I did not mean it to be disparaging, per se. It is just my current idea that learning to read is part of learning to find ourselves. It is an individual path, and I believe it is something one has to find on one's own and not be told this is "the" path.

I'm somewhat skeptical of anyone telling others how to read, unless they show them 50 different ways and tell them to choose what feels right to them. Otherwise, to me if a school shows you "how to do it", You may never look for or find alternative methods which could be much better suited to the individual you are.

Just my thoughts, and what my experiences say to me.

Babs

moderndayruth

I took Joan Bunning's online course long time ago and i think it's great for begginers, i also did Adam McLean's course in Tarot Artwork, now i am studyng jmd's course and i'd higly reccomend both. :)

Gavriela

Not what the Tarot School does at all, SunChariot. I've known them personally for decades, worked with them at times, and used to live with Wald and Ruth Ann - and it just isn't like that, nor are they. No reading-by-the-numbers, and it isn't online - it's by postal mail and by telephone - individually to you.

I fully second Umbrae's reco.