RPG: Ravenloft Tarokka deck

cardlady22

I was wondering if anyone has this deck (possibly in the Campaign Setting set?) or knows of someone who has scanned the cards?

I stumbled across a site that posted the text descriptions and meanings. This person has set up an online reading application. (text-only)

**Another site said:

Authors:Carla Hollar, drawings by Talon
Type: Tarot deck
Format: Deck of cards, 66 cards
Release date: October 2003
Other notes: The package announce 68 cards, but in fact there are only 66.

Summary of content:
40 minor Arcana cards (from one to ten, in Coins, Glyphs, Stars, Swords)
14 major Arcana cards (the dark master, the Horseman, etc .)
12 cards for tarokka reading tools, meaning of cards, etc.

**A reviewer posted:

. . . the cards are quite big, (about 4mm smaller than their pictures in the RLDMG) . . . copyright notice by the Wizards of the Coast . . . Note that some cards have changed since the original Tarokka deck.

So it appears that there are at least 2 editions. When I search the 'Net, I see Ravenloft associated with TSR, White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast.

OrbWeaver

Yes, Ravenloft is a horror campaign setting for AD&D. Every time I've played in that setting I've nearly wet my pants. But we had a good DM, too.

Those cards sound pretty darned cool. Have you tried Wizards of the Coast's website? I'm pretty sure they have a webshop, you might find them there, if they aren't out of print (which they very well could be).

cardlady22

I actually got a reply back from the 2nd artist, Talon! He was kind enough to tell me which of the pics on his site were from the Tarokka deck. I have to say, I like his art style. However, he says he hasn't seen any retailers who have it anymore. Major bummer!

He said the first version was done by Stephen Fabian. That particular set box, Forbidden Lore, is available as a PDF download (tsr1079) that shows the cards as well as the symbols from a set of dice, called Dikesha. It says TSR, 1992. ISBN: 1-56076-354-X

Now that I've been here at the AT for some months, (looking at tarot, dice, lenormand) I can really appreciate how much work went into designing these systems!

cardlady22

Tarokka & Dikesha

I ordered the download of the Forbidden Lore campaign set back in Oct 2008, and just got around to having the print-out made. It was quite a large order of many different things, so they did make an error- they printed the cards "blown up" to 8.5 x 11 size!

The more I look at them, the more I'm thinking it's an interesting, helpful mistake. They are scanned in at what appears to be a standard trading-card size. When I had tried to print them on my b&w laser printer, they were so dark that much of the detail was lost. I mean, I'll still have to go make another reduced set to play with . . . but now I can study the details! (art is by Stephen Fabian)

I had them print the symbols for the Dikesha dice onto a laser label sheet and will put them on a set of blank "bone colored" half-inch d6s. *crossing my fingers on getting them aligned nicely*

Dusk Till Dawn

Aren't there 2 different sets? I looked at them before, and as I remember you are supposed to have both, aren't they connected with each other? Or am I completely wrong?

cardlady22

There were 2 different artists who made commissioned decks. Of course, my preferred artist is Talon, but I can't find one of his decks!

Basically, this is an RPG campaign for people who do the "real-life" gaming and they view the 2 divination systems as props for the Game Master to help move the game along in a new/exciting way.

The tarokka is a deck; the dikesha are a set of five dice. What's super-cool to me is the way a mythology and mysticism is laid out for how you are intended to "craft" yourself a set, etc. (Not that you could do it in real-life!) The systems behind these 2 products are quite well-designed and I am very intrigued to see what can be made of them outside of the RPG.