Crystal Identification Help! (Tumbled Stones)

Rob

Well, my fiancee has these 3 tumbled stones (picture attached), and we can't seem to positively identify them after looking in several books. It seems that the wide range of crystal colors and limited range of pictures in books makes identifying stones visually quite difficult. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00179.JPG
    DSC00179.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 558

BodhiSeed

With the red flecks in them, I'd guess they were bloodstones. :)

Rob

bodhran said:
With the red flecks in them, I'd guess they were bloodstones. :)

Is suspected one of them was (back left), but the front one (I know it's a little blurry) also has gray/whitish uhh..marbling? and is a bit different texture...it's not quite the same as the other. I looked in a book and I thought perhaps green adventurine? Or maybe moss agate?

Rob

Strategeus said:
Is suspected one of them was (back left), but the front one (I know it's a little blurry) also has gray/whitish uhh..marbling? and is a bit different texture...it's not quite the same as the other. I looked in a book and I thought perhaps green adventurine? Or maybe moss agate?

After thorough examination with a bright light and a bunch of example photos from the web, I'm ready to declare both of the green stones in the image Moss Agate. They match almost exactly some examples I've found on reputable websites, and they look a lot more similar in real life than in the artificial lighting you're seeing in the photo. Thanks for the help on those, though! It did look like bloodstone to me, too, at first.

Now...the next question. What's the mysterious gray stone? I can't conclude anything except that it's a stone. I can't seem to find any examples of gray crystals that look anything like that. Any insights?

OrbWeaver

Could the grey one be limestone? Provided you can tumble limestone and it won't break apart. I'm not really sure how tumbling works. But I imagine that's what it would look like if it were polished.

Rob

OrbWeaver said:
Could the grey one be limestone? Provided you can tumble limestone and it won't break apart. I'm not really sure how tumbling works. But I imagine that's what it would look like if it were polished.

It could be anything! My fiancee bought these when she was a little kid (~5 years old) in some shop in Florida while on vacation, just because they were smooth, pretty rocks. Now she's into divination oracles and crystals, and she figured she could use them.

So yes, it's certainly possible that it's limestone, I'll write that down and do some more research on what tumbled limestone looks like, and compare it to the real life specimen in hand.

morticia monroe

It could also be grey marble.

Rob

morticia monroe said:
It could also be grey marble.

Thank you. It's pretty likely that's what it is, now that I look at it.

Dancinbear

I think the one in the bottom for the pic is bloodstone myself. Hard to tell from the pics though.

WillowRose

It really hard to tell with the pics , the one furthest away left could be bloodstone as I can see the red fleck through it but looking at the pic closest to us that looks like a piece of African Jade I have .. could even be Moss agate ? Like I said hard to tell by the pics -not sure bout the grey