Grandmaster Flash?

Raya

Here's a question: What is a "Tarot Grandmaster" and how does one achieve that status? I think I've heard of some Tarot Association or something before that certifies readers or some such thing. Are they the ones that give out the titles? Are there lesser titles, like Tarot Master or Tarot Padewan?

Thanks!

Grizabella

Well, I honestly think this is something that was made up by someone who wants to give out lesser titles for money or to make for an impressive resume, to tell you the truth. Seems like a Grandmaster intimates that there's no further to go with Tarot, but I think it's a lifelong study that never ends.

Raya

I kinda had the same feeling, but I certainly don't want to offend anyone with that title. It might be something serious in some circles.

re-pete-a

A very nice title for the ego. But who is advanced even further than that Grand Master to bestow the title.
Oh, lets guess, it's the Great Gran mistress. (you know you dont give no lip to that one)

Onyx

If I am remembering correctly I believe that the certification of Grand Master is something that it awarded by a certification board in recognition of signification contribution to the tarot community.

Here is how the Tarot Certification Board of America defines the level of Grand Master.

Certified Tarot Grandmaster (CTGM)
Qualified as a CTI (Certified Tarot Instructor)
Nationally or internationally recognized tarot expert, teacher, author or reader
Maintains high ethical and professional standards

In the end I think of it more along the lines of an honorary Ph.D that are sometimes given out in recognition of service.

Onyx.

Rob

Well, for one thing, it's something publishers can put on books so that the reader (especially of beginner books) has some "assurance" that the author is qualified to write on the subject. Then again, people also write under pen names that include honorifics like Ph.D, with or without the requisite education. While some people for whom the title Tarot Grandmaster is used certainly would qualify as such, I also think that it'd be rather easy for a less scrupulous character to claim this title deceptively, especially in this very subjective field of study. Since there's no one universally recognized certification body or system in Tarot, I would be skeptical about the use of this title beyond a select few individuals - and you know already who they are without seeing Tarot Grandmaster after their names.

Onyx

Strategeus said:
Well, for one thing, it's something publishers can put on books so that the reader (especially of beginner books) has some "assurance" that the author is qualified to write on the subject. Then again, people also write under pen names that include honorifics like Ph.D, with or without the requisite education. While some people for whom the title Tarot Grandmaster is used certainly would qualify as such, I also think that it'd be rather easy for a less scrupulous character to claim this title deceptively, especially in this very subjective field of study. Since there's no one universally recognized certification body or system in Tarot, I would be skeptical about the use of this title beyond a select few individuals - and you know already who they are without seeing Tarot Grandmaster after their names.

I completely agree. Most of those I know who have been give Grandmaster status rarely even mention it and allow their years of dedicated experience speak rather than letters after their names.

Onyx.

Morwenna

Strategeus said:
Since there's no one universally recognized certification body or system in Tarot, I would be skeptical about the use of this title beyond a select few individuals - and you know already who they are without seeing Tarot Grandmaster after their names.

Well, most of us here probably do, but the newcomers mentioned in an earlier post probably don't, and many of those have never heard of AT. Some might not even have computers; more people don't than most of us usually think.

Rob

Morwenna said:
Well, most of us here probably do, but the newcomers mentioned in an earlier post probably don't, and many of those have never heard of AT. Some might not even have computers; more people don't than most of us usually think.

Well, eventually as you read and study books or take courses you do see the same names popping up...by the time you wonder how to become a Grandmaster, you can probably identify one. But yes, it would be nice if there were an objective way to ascertain levels of certification. :)

Shade

i know people are leery of titles but all the Tarot Grandmasters I know of are people I consider to be knowledgeable and influential within the tarot universe.