PDA

View Full Version : Technical problems

willowfox
04-11-2008, 14:28
I have noticed lately that this site has some serious technical problems. The site won't open, or it freezes, or the threads won't open, or it becomes incredibly slow, or you can't post any reply.

Today, I am experiencing the same problems yet again.

GreenMoonBeam
04-11-2008, 14:31
Same here. Just now I wanted to look in the Subscribers area at images. Says I am not signed in BUT I am.:bugeyed:

diane drizzy
04-11-2008, 14:35
Same here. Also difficulty connecting for searches.

willowfox
04-11-2008, 15:20
One of the problems that I can see is that there is a lot of unnecessary and outdated information being stored on this site. Just look at the Fun and games section, it is bogged down with irrelevant threads and posts.

thorhammer
04-11-2008, 15:35
It's the slowness that bothers me the most.

Mods, is it likely that downsizing the open threads, archiving somehow, would improve the forum's performance?

\m/ Kat

firefrost
04-11-2008, 20:17
I've noticed it's been quite bad on and off this week too.

EarthFaery
04-11-2008, 23:26
Same here, slowwww! lately when I search new posts or post replies it will time out and I'll get an error "page cannot be displayed" over and over again
If I'm posting a reply when this happens and resend, it ends up a double post and it could take up to 20 minutes for it to appear.
I've also had a problem where I get a message saying that I do not have access to certian areas of the forum

Solandia
05-11-2008, 10:48
I've also noticed some slow periods in the last few days.

There are many potential things that can slow down the forum though. To help me troubleshoot it, when you notice a slowdown or can't access the forum - please make a note of the time, any error messages, what thread you're trying to post to or view, and post it here or email me.

Thanks,
Solandia

Grigori
05-11-2008, 11:11
I often notice the forum becomes very slow or unreachable about 4pm Brisbane time. The last couple days I've noticed it at 3pm instead. Is there some point in the cyber highway that is in daylight saving territory?

willowfox
05-11-2008, 14:15
A lot of problems occur around 5,6, 7 am GMT, also there is a strange thing that happens everyday without fail at around 7.45am GMT when the whole site stops working for about 10 minutes or so.

Chat games sometimes takes forever to react, and posting in chat and chat games can be extremely frustrating.

thorhammer
05-11-2008, 14:24
I often notice the forum becomes very slow or unreachable about 4pm Brisbane time. The last couple days I've noticed it at 3pm instead. Is there some point in the cyber highway that is in daylight saving territory?
Yeah, exactly - about 2pm here in Perth, so wherever it is, they're ahead of us because it's always been about 2pm. It tends to last for hours and hours here, too, till about 9pm when it finally becomes reasonable. By then, though, I'm usually curled up to my teddy bear . . . :D

Mornings are great. For forum performance, that is :D not for any other reason.

\m/ Kat

GreenMoonBeam
05-11-2008, 14:43
Agree there,thorhammer. Very slow between 16:00-222:00hrs Sydney time
(4:00pm to 10:00pm). Pages take a long time to load. This happens daily:(:

thorhammer
05-11-2008, 14:45
Agree there,thorhammer. Very slow between 16:00-222:00hrs Sydney time
(4:00pm to 10:00pm). Pages take a long time to load. This happens daily:(:
Yeah . . . and, of course, that's the time of day that you and I are most likely to be able to sit down and enjoy a few hours of AT, innit?

thorhammer
05-11-2008, 14:46
Solandia, thanks for taking this on board :)

Solandia
05-11-2008, 18:38
The forum backup runs every day at 5.45pm my time (AEST), and no-one can post or access the database while it is being copied. It's a bit inconvenient but that's the least busy time of day here, and it usually only takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete.

I'm checking into other causes for the other slowdowns, and the moderators are also closing some of the really long threads to reduce the load on the server.

I haven't noticed hours of downtime in the evening though, and I'm usually online and checking into the forum then. Thorhammer and GreenMoonBeam, are you on dial-up or do you have broadband?

~ Solandia

GreenMoonBeam
05-11-2008, 18:47
Moi, I have wireless broadband. That said, my lack of signal may be an influence
as well but. There have been times when I have used ADSL2 & twas slow.
GMB!

thorhammer
05-11-2008, 20:14
I've got wireless bb, too. And it's only AT that does it; I check Hotmail and Etsy and all sorts of other sites and they're all fine. It's just AT :( which sux coz it's the only one that matters!!!! :D

\m/ Kat

GreenMoonBeam
05-11-2008, 20:19
get out of here! Same as me. LOL. I even am on two O?S forums that I have
few problems to use.

gregory
05-11-2008, 21:22
I noticed this a few days ago - even with forbidden messages and stuff - but it seems to have settled. As I recall, Solandia told me a while ago, when I had an issue about something else, that what is STORED here isn't the issue; it's the searching ? Am I right ? So deleting threads wouldn't particularly help...

Broadband by radio waves here. (at last :D)

willowfox
06-11-2008, 15:16
Again, having problems getting this site to open.

Solandia
06-11-2008, 15:19
Thanks GMB and thorhammer, that rules out the problem being the internet on your end. I'm keeping an eye on the downtime in the evening.

And gregory is right.. the biggest drain on the server by members are searches (and the new posts function). The number of threads has minimal impact, though I do archive the oldest to the Forum Library (http://www.tarotforum.net/library/) to shrink the size of the database a little.

~ Solandia

Solandia
06-11-2008, 15:25
Again, having problems getting this site to open.

That's odd. I'm watching the server right now and everything is running smoothly and has been for the last fifteen minutes and more.

~ Solandia

Sebavin
06-11-2008, 15:27
It's 10:22 Arizona time (weird for one state to have their own timezone, I know :)), I get logged out jumping forums or attempting to pm, and the search function just loads forever and doesn't give results.

nanab
07-11-2008, 12:56
That's happening to me too. I thought it was my computer but I guess not.

Solandia
07-11-2008, 13:29
Hi Sebavin and nanab, I've been monitoring the forum at both times you mentioned having problems, and the forum is running fine and loading quickly for me.

What you're experiencing may instead be a problem with the internet connection between yourself and the forum server. What ISPs are you both using?

~ Solandia

Sebavin
08-11-2008, 08:28
My internet provider is Cable One, it's digital if that helps at all. AT works wonderfully during the day, but as the evening sets in it gets slower to use. I have to admit that I'm fairly ignorant in this area, I really don't know much about how the whole thing works :).

willowfox
11-11-2008, 15:13
A nightmare opening threads and posting this morning.

Grigori
11-11-2008, 15:15
My connection also is painfully slow at the moment. Other sites and the AT site are fine, but the forum.... *sigh* Been online for 15mins now and continuously so.

Nevada
11-11-2008, 15:36
Same here, right now!

9:36 PM PST (-8 from GMT/UTC).

Nevada

thorhammer
11-11-2008, 15:44
See, mine's good here. I'm at work, on the work connection - maybe it has to do with individual connections/ISPs. No doubt when I get home it'll be truly painful . . .

\m/ Kat

Grigori
11-11-2008, 15:54
Mine seems fine again now, though I was going to post that a few minutes again until it stalled trying to get here...

I'm on westnet at the moment. Notice it also at home on iinet.

gregory
11-11-2008, 18:40
You know - I am now on RADIO (rather than phone line) broadband - and I don't have a problem. I wonder if that's relevant ?

It IS nice both not to be on dialup any more and find that it's ME ahead of the game for a change !!!!!

willowfox
11-11-2008, 21:54
The problem occurred today between 4am to approx 6.30am GMT.

thorhammer
18-11-2008, 15:16
The forum has been hideously slow for about half an hour now. It even refused to load a couple of times and said that an email had been sent to you, Solandia, and to come back later.

It's 2.15pm Perth (Daylight Savings) Time.

\m/ Kat

faunabay
18-11-2008, 15:22
The forum has been hideously slow for about half an hour now. It even refused to load a couple of times and said that an email had been sent to you, Solandia, and to come back later.

It's 2.15pm Perth (Daylight Savings) Time.

\m/ Kat

I've been having major problems with it right now too, got the same prompt that an email had been sent to you Solandia.....actually about 20 minutes ago. Now it seems to be working fine though since I've been able to find this thread to post I was having problems. :)

gregory
18-11-2008, 19:45
Don't know about the TIME but I had awful probs about 12 hours ago (it is now 09.45 GMT)

HearthCricket
19-11-2008, 02:20
I am having problems right now, too. I posted and though it says the post is there, I can't call it up. :(

Solandia
21-11-2008, 11:22
HearthCricket, did you post show up in the end?

HearthCricket
21-11-2008, 11:27
Yep! After I posted it a second time, there it was, so I went into the first one and edited it as "double post". !!!

Ange
22-11-2008, 19:15
I'm having a bit of a problem too....seeing the last post that is on a thread.

I see it in the 'new posts' or the 'watched threads', but when I click on it, I can't see it....
Ang x

willowfox
27-11-2008, 13:37
It was hard to connect again this morning.

thorhammer
30-11-2008, 19:06
Huge, massive tech problems today! Since about 7am Perth time till just now, 6pm, I haven't been able to get AT all day! Other sites are fine, all kinds of sites and from all over the world, but no AT :bugeyed:

It's been a bad day :(

\m/ Kat

ETA: And judging by the new posts list and the list of members online (very few) AT's been down for about 12 hours.

Ambrosia
30-11-2008, 19:10
yep, likewise from my end.
Glad we're back up now.

leelalie
30-11-2008, 19:12
Goodday

It has been really difficult to get beteen 9.am gmt and 9.45 gmt
Said website off line...

Thank you
Leelalie

GreenMoonBeam
30-11-2008, 19:19
Yep, Had withdrawals badly, very badly. Great to be on line again :thumbsup:

From about 15:00 (3:00pm) Sydney time I could access Decks and card meanings but nothing else.:(:

thorhammer
30-11-2008, 19:24
Was there scheduled maintenance or something that we didn't know about? I was wondering if I'd missed an announcement or thread that explained it . . .

I could get onto the main Aeclectic Page no worries, and all that was fine. It was just the forum that wouldn't load, no matter how many back doors I tried (not that I'm cluey enough to try many :D)

\m/ Kat

Ambrosia
30-11-2008, 19:28
hmmm. I wondered that aswell but a quick search has not come up with anything.
Hopefully the mods will clue us in shortly.

GreenMoonBeam
30-11-2008, 19:36
I am more inclined to think there was a Host Server problem: the posts appear
to have stopped about 15 hours ago. That makes the time in Brisbane reasonable for a break-down. LOL.
I was not aware of any threads about being off line. With the skills of Solandia
and the Mods, I think that nothing like that would be missed.
GMB

Ambrosia
30-11-2008, 19:39
Ah well, we can all breathe a sigh of relief now.
Our addiction has finally been fed. mwahahahaha! :D

Elven
30-11-2008, 20:02
I couldn't get on this morning Sydney time about 11:30 - kept saying the page has expired ... so I went and mowed a few lawns and had a shower, picked up the cats dinner from the supermarket and came and logged on :bugeyed:

:smoker: I missed the whole thing ...

Glad you're back online AT!!
and hopefully the glitches have gone.

Cheers
Elven x

Netzach
30-11-2008, 20:08
This morning around 7am GMT I tried to get onto the forum and couldn't - kept getting messages about the site not being available. When I came back about 9.30. it was OK.

Moonbow
30-11-2008, 20:09
For me it was down for 12-13 hours, and came back at about 8am GMT.

I'm sure Solandia will make an announcement when she can.

MysticalMoose
30-11-2008, 20:50
Good Grief! :D:D:D I was lost last night, I couldnt get on the site from about 8pm UK time.. I was going thru a personal trauma ( :D ) as well & couldnt distract myself here. It was a hard night.......;)

Glad we seem to be back online :)

MM :heart:

firefrost
30-11-2008, 20:56
I had a little panic last night, too!

It was back on at 9am for me this morning.

thorhammer
30-11-2008, 21:31
It's still doing it for me, off and on. V. distressing!

How sad does this make me realise my life is . . . :D

\m/ Kat

Priestess
30-11-2008, 21:49
I haven't been able to get into this site since (Saturday night 29th) last night early on. It kept saying I had to register. Then I was getting locked out because it says my password was wrong. I have just managed to get back on now 11.46am. GMT. I think is ridiculous and so frustrating. I've had this password problem a few times now why does it happen??? I was going to subscribe but don't know whether to now?

firecatpickles
30-11-2008, 22:38
I think the Site was down because Solandia was busy working on it. That was the scuttlebutt, anyway.

Mariana
30-11-2008, 22:52
I was going to subscribe but don't know whether to now?Don't let this hickup stop you, it's highly unusual. In the past there were sometimes problems with the site slowing down because of the high number of people on it, but I believe Solandia changed something basic (upgrade? different server?) and things have been running smoothly for at least half a year now, I think.

I only got the continuous message that the server of tarotforum didn't reply, although the cards site was working. So I guess the server's been down since around 10 pm Saturday night (I gave up trying around 11.30) until around 10 am this morning - European time. Fortunately for me the 12 hour period without AT was mostly nighttime, so I didn't suffer as much as some of the others here. :D

Baroli
30-11-2008, 23:38
I just got back on myself. Just another day in the life of the internet. If it ain't one thing, it's five, lol:rolleyes:

Briar Rose
30-11-2008, 23:54
I couldn't get on either. At least I got to look through deck reviews. And we're back now.

karen0205
01-12-2008, 00:20
I couldn't get on either, it must have been either they were working on the
site or the server was down. I didn't have any problems with any other
website so I know it wasn't my computer. That's happened a few times before
and usually by the morning it's back up.

minrice
01-12-2008, 02:39
I was going to subscribe but don't know whether to now?

We all had truoble getting on yesterday P, the last time I could get on was around noon! But don't let this discourage you from subscribing, this is the first time I've had any troubles. With a forum this size you're bound to have some problems on occassion.

firefrost
01-12-2008, 02:44
It's still doing it for me, off and on. V. distressing!

How sad does this make me realise my life is . . . :D

\m/ Kat

Ya shoulda seem me last night, when mailbox said "pm's" were there and I couldn't get to them...!!!!

Priestess
01-12-2008, 04:39
I had problems since early last night (Sat 29th) I'm using internet explorer and just like Willowfox just couldn't get on. Kept saying the address must be typed wrong. When I eventually got it up and running near midday today it wouldn't let me sign in saying my password was wrong. I sent for confirmation and they sent me a number which wouldn't work either. Then another one and another one which eventually worked. I've been logged in most of the day now and just a couple of minutes ago it started telling me I wasn't allowed into some of the forums because I wasn't signed in. I had to sign in again. What is going on?. So i don't think it's a firefox issue Gregory.

AJ
01-12-2008, 08:20
Some of the forums are hidden from you because you are not a subscriber, that could be it.

Welcome to AT by the way! It is a great place to hang out and learn while you are doing it~

gregory
01-12-2008, 08:49
There was something about firefox the other day - as I could get on with three other browsers.

The forum going down completely was different.

Were the forums you couldn't get into ones you had been in before, Priestess ?

firecatpickles
01-12-2008, 09:20
I am a subscriber and have to re-log-in sometimes. I wonder if your IP address changes if that has an effect.

Grigori
01-12-2008, 10:26
it started telling me I wasn't allowed into some of the forums because I wasn't signed in. I had to sign in again. What is going on?. So i don't think it's a firefox issue Gregory.

This sounds like a cookie issue. I've noticed the same thing on public computers with a low tolerance of cookies, I get this message frequently. You would be able to get into the public forums perhaps, but the subscriber ones, or viewing profiles, or posting to threads, basically anything that requires a membership to do would give you that message.

The forum was offline yesterday, which would explain why you could not get on, but the other stuff I'd suspect as a security settings issue with your browser, or related to the issues Gregory was also experiencing.

I don't think IP addresses would play a role KK. As far as I know, IP addressed are linked to your account in terms of history of use, but not functionally.

I think the problem is astrological and we'll all have to wait until after the 14th for it to go away :D

Solandia
01-12-2008, 11:43
The forum was indeed down for everyone for about 12 hours yesterday. More info is here (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=108806).

willowfox
02-12-2008, 15:13
Wow. What is wrong today?

thorhammer
02-12-2008, 15:20
Thanks for the info, Solandia :) It's Murphy's Law, innit - just at the time you're away. Hope you had a nice time anyway :)

\m/ Kat

GreenMoonBeam
02-12-2008, 15:43
S l o w again this PM. Just this site. Other sites are fine. Must be 'pooter gremlins:joke:

gregory
03-12-2008, 04:09
No problems HERE today - rotten luck those who have had any ! But it's always slower when loads of us are here....

faunabay
05-12-2008, 06:43
I just tried to click over to the main aeclectic page from the forum and it won't show the page. Gives that unavailable black type on a plain white screen. I tried it twice and got the same thing. But the forum is working fine. (shrug) I"m going to go try again and watch it work this time. LOL

Yep...of course yes, it did work this time. })

faunabay
16-12-2008, 14:43
Just to let you know......

Right now (11:30 New York time) I've having alot of problems getting the forum to open up. The whole forum, but also then once I get the main page to open it takes forever for just one thread to open.

It took me about 10 minutes to get this thread open to post about it. :(

And I did go to other website and they work fine. So it's just aeclectic.

willowfox
16-12-2008, 15:55
A go slow day again, it took me nearly an hour to open this up.

willowfox
16-12-2008, 16:52
Now abit better but still like a snail.

thorhammer
16-12-2008, 17:08
Yep, me too - 4pm Perth time and the site won't even open sometimes - I just get messages saying Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Nothing makes me angrier.

Well, almost nothing . . . :D

\m/ Kat

Grigori
16-12-2008, 17:14
Its been running perfect for for the last couple of hours... weird!

Solandia
16-12-2008, 17:28
The site-wide backup ran today, which caused the slowness. We have an awful lot of attachments so it takes a while to complete.

Priestess
16-12-2008, 18:08
7am GMT This morning kept sending me to internet explorer page saying it couldn't open the page. I was already on looking at threads....then everything slowed down and I couldn't get in to anything. It really is annoying at times, but I suppose we can't have it perfect all the time. Just thought I would let you know guys as I know you like to keep up with any problems that occur.

thorhammer
16-12-2008, 18:25
The site-wide backup ran today, which caused the slowness. We have an awful lot of attachments so it takes a while to complete.
Ah, thanks for the explanation, Solandia :)

\m/ Kat

Moonbow
17-12-2008, 03:43
7am GMT This morning kept sending me to internet explorer page saying it couldn't open the page. I was already on looking at threads....then everything slowed down and I couldn't get in to anything. It really is annoying at times, but I suppose we can't have it perfect all the time. Just thought I would let you know guys as I know you like to keep up with any problems that occur.

Strange, I was on here at 7am this morning and my connection to the site was perfect and fast. Don't forget the site does an update each day at 7:40 GMT for about 5 to 10 minutes..... my shower time! :)

Priestess
17-12-2008, 04:04
Thank you Moonbow just thought I would let you know anyway. It wasn't for that long to be honest but just thought I should say..... so you know what's going on. BRILLIANT SITE!!!! I love it SSSSoooooo much!!!! Thank you for all the work you all do to make it so good. You should take over the Yahoo chat site so everyone can talk to each other I heard it's closing down he he he he!
Aeclectic Chat....Brilllllll !

Moonbow
17-12-2008, 04:20
There IS Aeclectic Chat Priestess:

I haven't been in there for years but I think its still active... I hope so. It was excellent fun a few years ago.