PDA

View Full Version : Moonstones

olori
05-11-2008, 10:36
does anyone out there have any info on Moonstones. There has always been a large pull for me when it comes too them. What is it about them?

ruski_svet
05-11-2008, 11:11
They're very into the spiritual, mystic, and hidden. Like the High Priestess. Maybe you're thinking more about your beliefs, getting into a new spiritual or occult subject, etc. They're beautiful though, in their translucent rainbow and more opaque form like polished shell.

olori
05-11-2008, 11:16
its the spiritual, mystic and hidden aspect that keeps my interest. Yes I agree, they are a beautiful stone. It's what I want to learn about and keeps my interest.

HearthCricket
05-11-2008, 12:06
There is tons of stuff on the internet about moonstones. I love them. They are definitely a very calming stone, but also very mystical, and related to the feminine, the Goddess and thus, the moon and the cycles. I find them to be good for calming, sleep, spirituality and any kind of work during a waxing or full moon. I also have a lovely set of moonstone mala beads which I say my mantras on.

LeaRoseQuartz
05-11-2008, 12:45
Moonstones are good for losing weight.

GreenMoonBeam
05-11-2008, 12:49

Really? How is this so?

GMB!!!!:):

LeaRoseQuartz
05-11-2008, 12:52
I read it in a book somewhere. I've not tried it.

Sophie
05-11-2008, 18:24
Be very careful, though. Many - if not most - moonstones sold nowadays are in fact labradorite. "Rainbow moonstone" is always labradorite, but a lot of other kinds of stones sold as moonstones are labradorite. Because it's relatively hard to find, the price has gone up. If you find cheap moonstone - that probably labradorite.

If you find the real deal - hold and cherish it. It's beautiful, balances emotions and provides a strong aid for contacting the feminine divine.

EarthFaery
05-11-2008, 23:55
Be very careful, though. Many - if not most - moonstones sold nowadays are in fact labradorite. "Rainbow moonstone" is always labradorite, but a lot of other kinds of stones sold as moonstones are labradorite. Because it's relatively hard to find, the price has gone up. If you find cheap moonstone - that probably labradorite.

If you find the real deal - hold and cherish it. It's beautiful, balances emotions and provides a strong aid for contacting the feminine divine.
Drat! I just bought a smallish one (it's not rainbow), I don't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't all too expensive but a little more than the usual I guess. Is there a way of knowing for sure? Mine is whiteish with cracked, straight lines through it, 3 sides of it have sort of an irredesent glow. It's very pretty:) Oh, I hope it's real, I was so psyched to buy it!

HearthCricket
05-11-2008, 23:58
SMV, that sounds like a real one! Mine are sort of a milky white with some creamy browns to them, and lines and iridescent sheens when you move them in light. They are a very calming stone and gentle in their beauty!

EarthFaery
06-11-2008, 00:13
SMV, that sounds like a real one! Mine are sort of a milky white with some creamy browns to them, and lines and iridescent sheens when you move them in light. They are a very calming stone and gentle in their beauty!
Yes, thanks Hearthcricket, that's just what mine looks like. It definatley did it's job the first time I used it, it's gorgeous!

afrosaxon
06-11-2008, 01:09
They're very into the spiritual, mystic, and hidden. Like the High Priestess.

Maybe this is why I have such an affinity for them; my personality and soul cards are both the High Priestess! :D

I do love them, though, especially peach moonstones. I tend to keep peach and white ones around. I had some labradorite, but I always just considered them as such.

I also had some white moonstones with black spots...they had an blish iridescence to them, so maybe they were labradorite too?

T.

Sophie
06-11-2008, 02:16
Drat! I just bought a smallish one (it's not rainbow), I don't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't all too expensive but a little more than the usual I guess. Is there a way of knowing for sure? Mine is whiteish with cracked, straight lines through it, 3 sides of it have sort of an irredesent glow. It's very pretty:) Oh, I hope it's real, I was so psyched to buy it!sounds like a moonstone. It calms and fills you with a kind of feminine glow.

I can't take labradorite, it's pretty but makes me nauseous, so I can usually tell the difference. Hold your moonstone in your hand or against your body. You'll know too. Moonstone makes you feel like a gentle lake under moonlight.

A very High Priestess kind of stone, I agree (I'm also an HP soul card :))

WillowRose
06-11-2008, 09:00
moonstone is great for psychic development & clairvoyance
Moonstone has a feminine energy & is especially good for the womens reproductive system , good for menstral cramping & PMS also great for concieving,pregnancy,birthing/labour and breastfeeding .
I wore moonstone through my pregnancies and also during labour .Very Calming.
Is a fantastic stone - One of my favorites :)

olori
06-11-2008, 12:21

Really, wow, interesting! Do you care too elaberate, ( bad speller )

olori
06-11-2008, 12:32
There is tons of stuff on the internet about moonstones. I love them. They are definitely a very calming stone, but also very mystical, and related to the feminine, the Goddess and thus, the moon and the cycles. I find them to be good for calming, sleep, spirituality and any kind of work during a waxing or full moon. I also have a lovely set of moonstone mala beads which I say my mantras on.

I thought that I had a moonstone years ago and found it to be very calming, but from reading through out these answers to my question I think that I didn't have the correct stone cause it was milky white and polished. I have always been a stickler for spiritual items to be natural without being polished, I would rather it be in it's natural state instead.

olori
06-11-2008, 12:39
I just looked up on the internet a moonstone called Rainbow Moonstone, now that really gets my attention. Man it's georgeous!!

LeaRoseQuartz
06-11-2008, 14:25
I wish I could remember where I read that moonstones can help you lose weight. Maybe it would work best when the moon is in it's waning stage, after it has been full. As far as alot of moonstones really being labradorite, I've never heard of that. Moonstone colors come in white, salmon and gray. All of them have a pearly sheen and an irridescence and flash when turned in the light. They usually are tumbled stones, although I have 3 pendants, you see them in jewelry sometimes. I also have a 40 mm. sphere in the pearly white and gray type, with some blue flash. You don't see as many in these colors, in larger pieces. The ones I've seen like that on the internet, were very expensive. I bought some tumbled stones at a store, years ago, and they were a few dollars, apiece. The more common, opaque, salmon with gray ( no blue flash, just irridescense), can more easily be found in spheres, eggs, and wands, than the blue flash kind and much cheaper. Labradorite is a stone that's always gray, with black streaks, that's not pearly, but has an irridescense that's called labradorescense. The flash you see when the stone is turned in the light, is the spectrum of the rainbow or sometimes just blue and green. Moonstones and labradorite are such beautiful and mysterious gemstones! I just love them!

GreenMoonBeam
06-11-2008, 19:15
Found a bit of information about Moonstone and weight loss. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Moonstone should be used in most rituals done during waxing moon. It adds strength to love rituals, as it is a love magnet. Moonstone is an aid in losing weight. Take 2 moonstones and 1 topaz that have been charged and cleaned by placing them on a bed of sea salt and left in the light of the full moon. Stand nude in front of a full-length mirror. Place the topaz between your feet and hold 1moonstone in each hand. Really look at yourself. Accept that this is how you look now. Close your eyes and visualize how you would like to look (be realistic). Then rub the moonstones in your hands all over your body. Keep the moonstones with you and keep the topaz beside the mirror. Rub moonstones instead of eating ice cream. Moonstone comes in white, blue, peach, pink and gray. (size: 1" x 1/2")

Sophie
06-11-2008, 22:35
I just looked up on the internet a moonstone called Rainbow Moonstone, now that really gets my attention. Man it's georgeous!!It is, but it's not moonstone, it's labradorite. It has different properties, and its lustre does not last as long.

LeaRoseQuartz
07-11-2008, 06:58
Moonstones also come in the rainbow flash kind, as well as just blue flash. Sometimes there are black areas in moonstones, also, that is tourmaline. Labradorite is related to moonstone. They come from a group called felspar.

LeaRoseQuartz
07-11-2008, 07:20
Sorry, for my spelling, it is feldspar. Oh, and moonstone's flash is called adularescence.

olori
08-11-2008, 18:20
lot's of good information everyone. Thanks for all the hard work to find this

minrice
16-12-2008, 08:42
Is Moonstone always irridescent? I hope I spelled that right. I bought a moonstone pendant off ebay and it's pretty but I'm not sure it's really moonstone. It doesn't have any irridescence to it at all. No flash and it's not pearly either. It's smooth and shiny because it's been polished. It's opaque, and it has veins. Any thoughts?

Acadia
16-12-2008, 10:21
Moonstone doesn't always have a pearly shine or rainbow to it, no. Sometimes it's a light pink color, or even kind of a brown color. Like these:

http://www.thegemtree.com/images/original/moonstone.jpg

I can't get a great look at the stone you have in the picture, but I can't see anything that leads me to believe it's not a Moonstone.

HearthCricket
16-12-2008, 10:48
I have some moonstone pieces as well as moonstone mala beads. They really can vary from very iridescent and pearly like, to veiny, milky, with brownish, pink, or peachy colours. One piece I have is very flat looking without any iridescent/pearliness to it. I also have a moonstone pendulum that is polished but neither pearly nor iridescent, anywhere. That looks like moonstone to me!

I find it has a lot to do with the piece, where it came from and what grade it is. For example, you can buy a piece of amethyst with jewel grade to it, meaning part of it is so pure and deep in colour that it could be cut by a jeweler, faceted and made into a lovely piece. Or amethyst can range from that to a very pale lavendar with a lot of white in it, which isn't very pretty at all!

I think you will have fun with that piece! :)

minrice
16-12-2008, 11:27
Thank you Hearthcricket and Acadia! It looks like some of the pieces you have in the photo Acadia. Coolness, it is a piece of moonstone then :)
I didn't know there were that many varieties although it makes sense as that is the nature of things! Thank you again!

morticia monroe
16-12-2008, 12:29
Minrice, I've got 6 or 7 pieces of rough moonstone, and 3 or 4 in the tumbler that I've been keeping an eye on. I bought them from a very reputable dealer recommended to me by folks in the know on a mineral forum. The pieces in the tumbler are finishing up to look very much like yours. I'd say it's a moonstone. :)

minrice
17-12-2008, 15:22
Cool, I'm so glad it is! Thank you everyone, like I said it would be pretty anyway but I really wanted a piece of moonstone, especially after being inspired by this thread.

Alta
17-12-2008, 22:52
I have a moonstone ring bought from a reputable dealer it is not iridescent. The other posters covered the points, but wanted to say that is also my experience with it.

diane drizzy
22-12-2008, 03:32
I checked out the "trusted sites", but not many of them seem to sell jewelry items. Would love to wear a piece. Any suggestions?

minrice
22-12-2008, 03:35
You could always try ebay. If you buy from sellers with a lot of stars and reviews I have found that they are pretty good and honest about what they are selling. Also, here is one of my favorite sites for stone jewelry, including big moonstone pendants!
www.jegem.com

diane drizzy
22-12-2008, 04:27
oooooh!!!

morticia monroe
22-12-2008, 07:15
http://www.luckygemstones.com/moonstone-jewelry-white-stones-moon.htm

Always Wondering
22-12-2008, 11:21
I checked out the "trusted sites", but not many of them seem to sell jewelry items. Would love to wear a piece. Any suggestions?

It doesn't hurt to talk to a jeweler.
I went in search for a polished moonstone ring and couldn't find one. Then my husband actually talked to the jeweler and found me a beautiful one.

Just recently, for our anniversary he talked to the jeweler again. This time he had to pick out a moonstone and a setting and have it put together for a necklace. I love wearing them both.
So just because they are not out on display, it doesn't mean they can't find one for you.

AW