Energy drain

gallowglass

I've found that I get pretty wiped out after just a couple back-to-back Celtic Cross readings. I've heard of people who can pretty much keep going 'til the cows come home and not only do they not get pooped out, but actually seem to get energized by the readings! (See me green with envy.) Now, I'm not in the habit of doing any preliminary work -- no grounding or visualizations of any kind -- so that might be the issue.

Has anyone run into this problem? How do y'all keep from crashing after a reading?

Ambrosia

I have this problem sometimes after several readings, or very draining readings.
I admit, I dont really ground or anything first, just make sure Im relaxed and in a good head space.
I find a good way to wind down afterwards is to eat something light, protein is good, maybe a cup of herbal tea, and just sit and relax for a while.
I also find after eating a large meal is a bad time to read for me, makes me a bit lethargic.
Getting out for a bit of fresh air does wonders for me also. :)

minrice

I find that I too get tired after several consecutive readings, as it is work to focus that hard and then put what is in your head onto paper/into words for the forum. However once I get into the groove I feel good until it's over! I think being in the right headspace helps, as does taking care of yourself beforehand. Like getting enough sleep, etc. I can't read at all if I'm the slightest bit tired.

Sinduction

An apple and cheese is my savior for long periods of reading. Also, if I'm reading a lot for others throat lozenges are a necessity! :D

Morwenna

Oh, please, ground yourselves!

Food is grounding too, and each of you knows best what foods are best for you. Personally, I feel better about reading (and staying with it) if I've had sufficient protein and vitamins, and little or no junk food. Before reading at a renfair, for instance, fish or chicken and a big salad the night before and eggs and fruit for breakfast usually does the trick. Some bread and cheese around lunchtime tides me over and is nice and solid without making me logy. Then I stay away from the greasy treats sold at the fair till midafternoon when I'm warmed up enough already and dinner is only a couple hours away.

And hydrate! Keep lots of water ready to hand while you read. Flavor it if you must, but please hydrate.

My opinion; your mileage may vary.

celticnoodle

I do ground myself, though now it is something I do so often, I don't even think about it much. I take deep breaths before doing the reading, and imagine being enveloped in a white light. I also generally have something to drink beside me. Water is great, but sometimes when I'm doing a lot of readings, or have some pretty heavy duty readings, something with sugar in it, (a coke usually) works better for me.

I still have days and weeks where I cannot do more then 2 or 3 readings in a row. then, there are days where I can read all night long & days when I can't even pick up the deck. I never know which it'll be--am surprised with it each day. so, you're not alone there!

a light snack, even if it is pretzels (tho fresh fruit is best), and a drink is best to keep close by.

Baroli

When I first started to read a lot I started to feel completely wiped out, my brain felt like mush. Then a very wise friend of mine told me to hydrate drink fluids, perhaps some Gatorade or some power drink. Whatever the case, you need to hydrate. Then you won't feel so tired, and brain-mushy.

Hate that feeling,..........sucks.

just my 2p.

:D

214red

this is a good post, i was finding even just picking up my cards over the past 2 months i felt tired, or rather instantly fatigued. it got soo bad i stopped reading for a few weeks, now its better but i still get instantly tired when i pic up my cards

afrosaxon

I keep water at hand as well, but sugar is always good thing for me (a nice, tall cup of hot tea!). And when I have a break, I eat...I get ravenous after readings.

I even bring along some fun reading when there is a break...gives my mind a rest, or I walk around the store where I read. I keep a bowl of different stones on my reading table (I give them out to querents) and just play with them...they help ground me.

Just my $.02.

T.

Astraea Aurora

Besides Tarot itself another important factor to consider is whether you have a hectic life or not. Take a look at how your life is going at the moment (or in the past weeks). Maybe there are situations (or persons) that drain your energy or that are quite hectic. Try to stay away from them. If this isn't possible try to step back after you've encountered such a situation / person BEFORE you take up your cards to read. Do some relaxation or go out for a walk before taroting. ... And try to solve these situations.

Best wishes, Astraea Aurora :grin: