Tarot&christianity

Jyscal

Ive been pondering for days and still cant come up with an answer. Its like a constant "sub-conscious headache if u will. Ive been christian all my life, and as that i was obviously taught that Tarot cards were the tool of the devil. But ever since i started using them i can honestly say they have changed my life...for the better!! An in that i say how can something that makes a person so happy, feel right and actually make u become a better person be so bad. I wont get into my whole life story but i never liked that person i was and neither did my friends or family. In my readings the cards have been advising to take a fresh view on life, and i cant believe the difference.

Ambrosia

IMHO, some of the church's ideas, and people who feel tarot is "evil", stems from the cards being banned, not because of divination, but because they were used in gambling.
Some people will listen to anything they are told without questioning it, and therefore this archaic idea still exists, leading people to believe there must be some dark force surrounding the cards.
They are just bits of card board so enjoy.
As you say, how can something which can be so helpful be seen as evil?
I think its just an outdated belief that has never been addressed, and what people dont understand, they fear. :)

Jyscal

Its unreal. To quote family members"i always expected better of him" its like they say that to purposefully bring you down and in some sub conscious way try an revert you. There is an old saying which may or may not be true. "every generation will scorn the next". I feel the two can co-exist. I say its up to the masses, they should start focusing on wat can be instead of wat cant be. Its like dogs and cats. Myth says they cant get along, my cat sleeps on my dogs back!

Skysteel

Jyscal said:
An in that i say how can something that makes a person so happy, feel right and actually make u become a better person be so bad.

It may only make you happy and feel right in the short-term (and do quite the opposite in the long-term); that it makes you a better person is your own opinion.

Nevada

Jyscal said:
Ive been christian all my life, and as that i was obviously taught that Tarot cards were the tool of the devil.
I'm not sure that should be obvious. I don't think all Christians believe, or that all churches teach, that Tarot cards are a tool of the devil. On the other hand, I've known people who didn't grow up in any particular church and were never taught that, who are uncomfortable with Tarot, particularly the Devil card -- for reasons I've never been able to get an explanation for. I think some people take the images too literally, rather than as archetypes, symbols, and metaphors -- just as some people take the Bible too literally, rather than as a collection of myths and allegorical stories with a bit of history and genealogy thrown in. (My opinion, of course.)

Jyscal said:
But ever since i started using them i can honestly say they have changed my life...for the better!! An in that i say how can something that makes a person so happy, feel right and actually make u become a better person be so bad. I wont get into my whole life story but i never liked that person i was and neither did my friends or family. In my readings the cards have been advising to take a fresh view on life, and i cant believe the difference.
Well there's that Bible passage that says, "By their fruits you shall know them." If the fruits of using Tarot are so clearly beneficial to you overall, need you question any further?

Nevada

gregory

Jyscal said:
i was obviously taught that Tarot cards were the tool of the devil.
Obviously ?

My father was an Anglican priest, and he certainly didn't believe that. More that anything available to us is a tool which can be used however we choose to use it.

Ange

One of the books I have, one of Eileen Connolly's, talk a lot about Christianity, and on every other page there is a prayer....either to help you get closer to the cards, or understand more, or to protect you etc etc.

I am also Christian, and would hate it if I got involved with 'anything to do with the occult'...and that's where I feel the problem lies.

At the beginning of the 1900s, the tarot was taken towards the occult by a group, a group that is still around today....and all good luck to them if they want to continue doing their own thing....I go my way, they go theirs.

But what the main of us need to realise is that the tarot it's self isn't bad.....and that is big coming from me that had a crisis myself with it earlier this year....:)

Keep the Tarot soley to use as your own, without getting into wierd and wonderful groups, beliefs or occutism.......use it with love and with prayers....and you won't go far wrong...:):)
Ang x

Baroli

Ive been christian all my life, and as that i was obviously taught that Tarot cards were the tool of the devil.

Yeah, well there are quite a few of us here like that. It almost stopped me because I bought into the whole thing of the Devil and the cards. But I can find you the verses in the bible that say the worst and the best. It is what is in your heart that you truly believe and what others would like you to believe means diddely squat.