To the Readers and Querents!

Tongodiva

Wordwitch presented a wonderful question on a previous thread that has lead to this question:

EDIT: Here on AT, being that it is a learning environment, what type of items would you like your querent to give you feedback on when you ask for a feedback during a reading exchange? :)

rwcarter (Rodney) has offered to present a draft for a feedback guideline. This is just a suggestion as to what one would want in a feedback, nothing set in stone! He pointed out that there are threads out there that show how not to fail in giving feedback, but none on how to succeed. So please! Inquiring minds want to know! What would you like or expect in a feedback? Or worded another way: How can a feedback make you a better reader? What kind of feedback would you like on your readings that will help you hone your skills?

Some of my suggestions were:

Tongodiva said:
1. Was I clear enough for you?
2. Do you feel like I went around in circles?
3. Do you think it was too lengthy? Too Short?
4. Did this open you up to future readings with me?
5. Do you think it was a fair effort?
6. Did you feel like you could ask follow up questions?
7. What, in your opinion, would you suggest might improve my reading skills?
8. What do you consider my weakness in this reading?
9. What do you consider my strength?

and one last one I added was feedback on relevance. Was I on point? Did I stray?

Cat* Presented some good feedback items too!

Cat* said:
... I must say I'd love to get feedback that included some things about my way of "presenting" the reading to the querent. Which might fuzz out into some feedback on reading-specific social skills (e.g. Did I adequately address them and their question? Do they feel I really heard them? Do they feel they understood me/my way of translating the cards?). After all, these are things that are important even and especially when the reading itself is "off" (i.e. the message itself didn't make much sense)...

The floodgates are open! :)

-T. :)

[EDIT] I forgot! This is the previous thread :)

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=107845

Baroli

As a reader, what would you like (or expect) in a feedback?

In a professional venue,.............. (or any venue for that matter), and you pros can correct me or not on this, I am not looking for feedback. That's the farthest thing from my mind.

And if someone does give me feedback by way of a grunt or a smile, laugh, or a complete breakdown, I am not looking for that. Because if I were, then the reading becomes all about me and "what a great reader I am." That's not why I read. So to me, the question what I would like in a feedback is somewhat moot.

Bloudwedd

What an excellent idea to a good thread! Thanks for that!

Have to admit I dont so far have any ideas of my own, but rather some pointers on your phrasing tongodiva. Hope you dont mind.

Originally Posted by Tongodiva

1. Was I clear enough for you?
Good one! Straight to the point!
2. Do you feel like I went around in circles?
This one is phrased very wrong in my opinion if you want constructive feedback. It is way to negative in its focus. Why not: "Were the start - and endpoint of the reading clear?"
Same comment as above - to negative in its phrasing. Try: " Was the reading satisfactory in length?"
4. Did this open you up to future readings with me?
Good one! Although, you want maybe in the future put this one atthe end of the survey.

The other ones on the list was really good questions and I really do not have any further to add.

Looking forward to read the input of others!
/Anna

Alta

Baroli said:
In a professional venue,.............. (or any venue for that matter), and you pros can correct me or not on this, I am not looking for feedback. That's the farthest thing from my mind.

And if someone does give me feedback by way of a grunt or a smile, laugh, or a complete breakdown, I am not looking for that. Because if I were, then the reading becomes all about me and "what a great reader I am." That's not why I read. So to me, the question what I would like in a feedback is somewhat moot.
The issue was really around developing some helpful guidelines for feedback here on Aeclectic I believe.

Ange

Did I answer the question you needed answering.
Ang x

Tongodiva

BW No I don't mind at all! That's what this is all about :) My suggestions for feedback items are just that, suggestions. They're an example of the kind of questions I would like answered here on AT regarding my readings, as I think that type of commentary would help me greatly in finding out what my weaknesses and strengths are from a different point of view. I would be able to have a more objective viewpoint (instead of just relying on my own personal scale of skill). That would help me seek out answers to help me become a stronger more well rounded reader :)

Tongodiva

Baroli said:

Oh I agree with you completely Baroli! I would never dare ask these types of questions in a professional environment! I am no where near the professional level and I'm not looking for praise rather constructive criticism so that I may get to the level of reading quality where feedbacks would no longer be necessary for me. What we're trying to discover is what kind of feedback would one want when they ask for feedback during reading exchanges here on AT, being that it is a learning environment. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear before :( I woke up not too long ago and I'm just starting to get my head on straight :)

I am starting to realize that there might be some confusion arising with the word feedback. Some feedback is locomotive to the reading. Where the querent gives you more information so you can clarify or perhaps better answer the question. That is not the type of feedback I'm referring to. The feedback I mean in this thread is the kind that focuses on the skills of reading that will help you improve. :) There are so many different levels of talents and skills here I'm sure that everyone can benefit from each other's constructive criticism.With this type of feedback I am inviting you to step on my toes and let me know how I can improve in your opinion. Everything is objective! But isn't that what teaching is all about? Pointing out where weaknesses lie and then finding ways strengthening them? The advice would be given and I wouldn't necessarily have to take everything and apply it, only what I as the reader would see beneficial, but you fulfilled your task at giving a well rounded feedback.

MHO
-T. :)

Feretian

I like the idea of more specific recommendations for how to give feedback, Tongodiva. Posted in the guidelines thread...but not presented in a way that people feel obliged to answer every question. I know it would help me when I am at a loss as to how to respond to an "unusual" reading.

lark said:
~Reading Exchange Forum Guidelines~

What is Detailed feedback?

Often a reading will be offered with a request for detailed feedback.
***Detailed feedback is a card by card or point by point response to your reading.
Often these are requested to avoid scanty feedback such as, "Hi thanks for the reading, it was right on."
The above is not feedback it is infact taking advantage of your reader.
So please offer a nice feedback response to your reader and if the exchange requires detailed feedback please be ready to respond in a detailed way.
If your detailed feedback is too personal you can give it by PM, just post in the thread that feedback will be through PM.

Your list would be clarify the above.

Here's my picky little edits:

1. Was the reading clear for you?

2. Did the reading remain focused on your original question?

Hmm..this reads a bit negatively..."Was the reading an adequate length?" or "Did it address your question completely?"

4. Would you seek future readings with me?

This is inherent in your having offered to read. You most likely did your best.

6. Did you feel like you could ask follow up questions?
This is dicey...what if the follow-up constitutes a new reading? How about something like "questions to clarify" the reading?

7. What, in your opinion, would you suggest might improve my reading skills?

8. What do you consider my weakness and/or strength in this reading?

Thanks for opening this one, Tongodiva!

Grizabella

I do think that, although giving personal information isn't the thing a sitter should do in feedback, they should at least say "this point was accurate" or "this point missed the mark" on various things the reader touches on.

afrosaxon

The main issue in the past (and sometimes presently) is that some will simply post a sentence to the effect of, "Yes, your reading was accurate. Thank you." Or "No, this didn't make sense." That type of "feedback" (and I use the term loosely) doesn't help anyone grow, and seems to be a catchall for those who just want some sort of free reading without any type of "payment" involved.

When I ask for feedback, I don't ask for people to spill all of their state secrets. But I do expect to be told where I was on point, and where I wasn't. Every reader isn't 100% accurate (and whoever says they are are 1) lying and/or 2) haven't come across enough querents/sitters :D).

Just my $.02.

T.