Hate First, Love Later and vice versa?

Silverlyn

Hey there:

What decks did you hate (or not like that much) at first, then later (even if YEARS later) you end up-either suddenly or gradually-LOVING that deck
(or even just returning to it repeatedly?).

And vice versa:

What decks did you love at first, then ended up hating them (or letting them fall by the wayside, hardly ever using them, etc?).

I find this phenomena interesting. I've always been that way with favorite songs, too.

And songs that I didn't like at first that much, I LOVED them later on.
(Purple Rain fits this category for me).

So?

Silverlyn

Eowyn

Well, Silverlyn, when I got my Druidcraft I just hated it, and then I loved it.

Also, I stoped to connect/understand my Universal Fantasy deck, so I started a ODW for a couple of weeks and now everything's back to normal... I think.

faunabay

I've had alot more that I loved at first then they just fell by the wayside and I stopped using them. There are alot of these. Although some I've come back to. My latest of these is the Merryday. I really liked it before but I think it was kind of beyond me at first. I traded it away......it was gone for quite a few years. I just got a copy back and am loving it now!!

I'm trying to think if there were any I didn't like at first then grew to love. hmmmm........ Well I'm not loving it yet, but the Thoth had always creeped me out. Not the Crowley stuff...just the artwork. Now though I'm beginning to understand it more. While I don't love it yet I do use it and can understand it more.

souljourney

Well...
Loved the Archeon, then hated it, Sacred Circle, several others...
I guess they move from love to hate after I get a good look at them and find them hard to read.
I guess the only one to go hate (maybe really dislike) to LOVE is the Fey tarot. Now one of my most favorite of all.

Tharivol

Rider-Waite. I just do not understand that thing. At all.

Le Fanu

I know that there have been significant decks in the "hate first-love later" category, but I just cannot think of them right now (will have a think and post later...)

But a deck I loved first and which very soon dropped by the wayside is the Universal Waite. I remember unwrapping it and laying it out on the table and thinking THIS is what I wanted the RWS to be; perfect colouring, decipherable faces, just altogether sharper and really bringing out the best in the artwork. The colours on the table looked so exquisite...

Then - I don´t know how it happened - it just suddenly seemed bloodless and sappy. It happened so quickly. Ive never had a deck fall from favour so quickly. Maybe a week or more?

Now I just find it dull and am long since back to my vintage blue box with Colman mis-spelt "Coleman" on the box. And my early pre-lamination edition of the "Original"...

firefrost

What about the Gilded, Le Fanu }) - or didn't you ever get to love it in the first place...?!

For me, there have been many (as many know ;) ).

The one I can't make up my mind about just now is my Medieval Scapini. I still think it's a cute, quirky deck, but it's just not 'me' anymore. And I didn't have my love affair with the Ship of Fools for long, either. I look at my bookcase and wonder about them both...

Alta

The Thoth.... I didn't just hate it on first sight, I loathed it. Got rid of my copy. Got interested again. Got the book of Thoth and read with great interest. Read some other stuff. Re-purchased the deck, even got an older copy, though prefer to newer version (AGMueller). Love it now.

LightTraveller

When I first got the Tarot Nova in my stocking a few years ago, I didn't give it a lot of thought, as it struck me as a kind of dime-store novelty. Then someone brought it up on AT a few weeks ago, I took another look, and I really like it.

Back when I was more of a practicing neo-Pagan, I picked up the Robin Wood, and that went well for a while. Now I'm not so much in that world, and the appeal of that deck has faded, although I've always loved the High Priestess of that set.

Thoth totally wigged me out at first. Now I find myself using it more. The non-story pip cards are good for when I want something visually appealing that still allows me to focus more on number and suit, without the distraction of the "scene."

Baroli

Same with me on the Thoth. Didn't like it, didn't understand it, couldn't read with it, or wouldn't read with it take your pick, lol. Gave mine away.

Thennnn, a friend sparked my interest again. I purchased another deck, but this time I decided not to read the book, but let my mind wander through the images and see what they looked like to me, and lo and behold. I liked it. I can read with it. Son of a gun!! Picked up some Crowley literature and I study sometimes, but for the most part, I let my mind do the wandering.

Still not a fav, but I will from time to time, take it out and read.