Music

MysticHope

this should be pretty fun for everyone to partake in :). I'm just curious what type of music (if you do use music) gets you in 'the zone' during readings an/or meditation.

The more specific you are the better! i.e. genre, artist.

me...i listen to classical music sometimes...ambient music is always nice...but my favorite Enya!

Alta

I also like Enya for calming, those repeating rhythms, the circularity of her music is great. I also listen to a CD of mantras which is incredibly calming (downstairs somewhere, I'll try and get back with specifics later). During actual reading I rarely have music playing though, too easily distractable. :)

sweet_intuition

Swan Lake - Tchaikovsky

Brilliant beyond words

gregory

I like Enya lots. But I don't read to music.

I think it is partly that as a music graduate, I can't just let it pass me by as background; so things about it will hook me in - as words do if there are people talking in the same room. Like "there's that leitmotif again" and "interesting modulation; wonder how he will get back" - I just can't escape it. I don't mind - but it means that it is too distracting.

If I were to use anything, I guess I would get one of those CDs with water sounds, trees in wind etc on.....

canid

I like Enya, but I like Clannad better. They're a Celtic band, inspiring to me. Puts me immediately in the 'zone'. They did a lot of the songs in The Last of the Mohicans. Or Peter Gabriel, although very spiritual, it sometimes distracts me because I'm paying more attention to the song.

firefrost

And I thought I was the only person in the world who liked Orinoco Flow.

As for reading - if it's at night, I shut myself off from everything, as there's usually family round me and a telly on. During the mornings when I'm alone, I love the silence.

Astraea Aurora

gregory said:
I like Enya lots. But I don't read to music.

I think it is partly that as a music graduate, I can't just let it pass me by as background; so things about it will hook me in - as words do if there are people talking in the same room. Like "there's that leitmotif again" and "interesting modulation; wonder how he will get back" - I just can't escape it. I don't mind - but it means that it is too distracting.

I second you gregory. Same here :D

I like the sound of my heart beat and when I hear the blood rush in my ears. Very calming and way less distracting than music ...

Astraea Aurora :grin:

LightTraveller

canid said:
I like Enya, but I like Clannad better.
Love what I have heard of Clannad. I believe the singer is Enya's sister. But if you like Enya, you may also like Suzanne Ciani. Find a copy of "Neverland" -- there's some good, calming stuff on that one. Pretty sure she did a really nice "trance-y" one called "Lumiere", unless that was Enya. ;)

That said, I myself find music distraacting and don't tent to use any to read by. I never could study well with music going.

ETA: I thought I saw Bach mentioned, but it was just firefrost's signature. ;) I could never read to Bach -- he makes me want to close my eyes and watch all the complex geometric patterns!

canid

Hey, thanks LT, I didn't know she was Enya's sister. Makes sense, similar styles etc. And I'll check out Suzanne Ciani.

Merenwen

LightTraveller said:
I believe the singer is Enya's sister.

If I remember correct, Enya started with Clannad before going solo.

I love Clannad and often use it to read to. The music is so familiar to me now it doesn't distract. I can pick almost any of their CDs and start reading. (Atlantic Realm I don't like, but it sounds perfect for gregory)

I've tried classical, but it just doesn't have the same feel to me. Too formal almost. And the varying volume of some pieces makes me jump instead of relaxing me! I'm more likely to put a nice lively piece of classical on after a reading to revive me and shake any 'headiness' going on. To get me back to earth almost.

I've also got a series of CD's called Celtic Myst, originating from the Netherlands about 10 years ago. The current version they have is very different and no good to me. The older CDs have a mixture of Clannad, Riverdance, Lord of the Dance, Mary Black, Era, etc. From those and my own Clannad CDs I've built a large playlist that I put on on shuffle when I read. Trial and error really which ones distract me and which ones don't. Oh, Lord of the Rings soundtrack is nice too, well some of them for reading anyway.

The problem I have with Enya is that is is too repetitive for me. I get distracted by it. It turns into one long drone of music, which sets me on edge. Some pieces I like, most I don't. Not for reading Tarot anyway. Reading a book maybe, or entertaining company, but not Tarot.