Members whose opinions influence mine

Debra

"I bought this deck because I heard about it from..."

On another thread, Le Fanu wrote about the influence of others when deciding about a new deck:

Le Fanu said:

Funny, I also check past threads here and get to grips with the cardstock/ lamination issue. If there is a thread which bemoans the lamination or cheap cardstock it seriously influences me. Or I know I have to make sure I get an older edition.

On the positive side (funny I should admit this!) there are some members here at AT whose tastes I kind of identify with, so I know that if they like a deck and speak highly of it, then the chances are I will too :) I bet they don´t even know who they are!

I'm influenced by a bunch of folks, including Magpie9 and OnePotato.

They help make my tarot collection richer and my bank account poorer :rolleyes:

Some reviews at AT really make a difference to me, while there are other reviewers who never seem to hit the nail on the head, as far as my own taste goes--I don't even read their reviews any longer.

SO....boyz and girls, ladles and germs, the question is, as far as tarot decks, who here influences you?

moderndayruth

Thanks for starting the thread Debra! :D
For me - apart from the AT's card section with (what i believe to be) Solandia's rating, i mean the 1-5 stars each deck is given, i'm (and strongly :D) influenced by opinions of Gregory, Le Fanu, HearthCricket, Firefrost and, last but not the least, Kilted Kat ;)

Keavy McGee

Fun thread idea, Debra, I enjoyed Le Fanu's thread but had to stop reading or I'd stop buying!! :joke: Really, I was laughing my head off, and also getting de-enabled at the same time!!

So many people influence me here, mostly it's how they say what they say that can make me spring for a deck.

I'm gonna risk missing a lot of people here - kind of like not making a long enough list for your Academy Award acceptance speech and realizing you're forgotten to mention your mother :D - but right off the top of my head, I look at the AT ratings and reviews, which are mostly Solandia's (but not always) and I listen to Umbrae's recommendations, a lot!! I like the way he gets his head around decks. And I like specifics!!

I've "acquired" decks because of comments by gregory, hemera, satori, tco, faunabay, grip dellabonte, eugenia madora, and hearthcricket, for sure.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and hope they'll forgive me. i can use my GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card by saying I'm also one of the Trade Train aficianados and those people ALL influence what decks I go broke for!! :laugh:

And I can pretty much say I haven't been disappointed yet!! Pretty good record, that!!

ETA: Thanks Le Fanu, must add Ms. \kat/ aka Thorhammer here as well

Le Fanu

Subject to editing as I remember others over the next few days;

Ive bought decks on the advice - or gushings - of Gregory, Le Pendu, Hearthcricket, Debra, Sravana (Light and Shadow Tarot arriving this week because of you!), Firefrost, thorhammer...

It is because of Essjay that I gave the Druid Craft a chance and was richly rewarded!

Sophie

When it comes to buying decks, those members, past and present, who have most influenced me have been: Scion, Le Pendu, JMD, Chubby Mummy, Lee, Moonbow, Ace, Magenta, and recently, from beyond the grave, Dwaas, for the Illuminated (I'd resisted the price till then).

That's without counting members whose decks I cherish and wouldn't have known about without Aeclectic: Sidhe-Ra, Baba-Prague, Leo62 & 78th Fool and M-Press.

Edited to add: I have a red face, because I forgot to mention Cerulean and Rosanne for several decks, from the Far East and otherwise.

Rosanne

Surprise , surprise the folk on the Historic section have influenced me over Historic decks.
I bought the Noblet because of jmd (cannot read with it though as it looks like a cheating card game to me)
Huck influenced me to buy the Estensi which I luff, luff, luff.(CharlesV1)
You Debra, influenced me in the Lagustl and the Pen Tarot, and the Liz Dean 25 Love Tarot.
Fudugazi influenced me with the Fantastic Menagerie.
Umbrae influenced me with LeNormand- any LeNormand!
Le Pendu has had me lusting after a Jacque Vieville, but I cannot get one.
He also influenced me to buy the Mitelli. Thank you Thank you!

I read the reviews- but good or bad they do not influence me.
I take no notice of fashion, though I have been suckered in once or twice.
I think it was myself that influenced my love of the Visconti- but it is Abrac that keeps it going!
Cerulean always influences me as to delightful takes on cards.
Tis Kwaw that has nudged me toward Eastern things.......
~Rosanne

moderndayruth

Keavy McGee said:
I'm gonna risk missing a lot of people here - kind of like not making a long enough list for your Academy Award acceptance speech and realizing you're forgotten to mention your mother :D

Oy! I did realize i missed someone... :(
Umbrae, of course! I guess my subconscious decided his influence is so obvious that it goes without mentioning... :D

afrosaxon

I may step on some toes, but...I can't say that anyone's opinions here on AT directly influence my purchase choices--not to the point where I read their opinions and go "Hey! I want that deck because they like it!"

I make my decisions based on different factors, mainly viewing available images online and experiencing how a deck "read" for me during a reading exchange. Sometimes these factors are in direct opposition with each other (for example: I've received readings with certain decks that were spot on, but that I wouldn't want in my personal collection).

That being said: I have been pleasantly surprised by decks I've received during tarot and oracle exchanges, so in a way I guess that someone's opinion holds weight with me; they thought that I would enjoy a particular deck, and I did! :D

Just my $.02.

T.

The crowned one

I can think of no one member who influences me more then another when it comes to deck choices or opinions. I guess the biggest influences are the ones that are willing to part with decks I want :D

Debra

LOL--how to become friends with the Crowned One!

After a nap I can add:

The history forum is wonderful; particularly le Pendu and jmd.

Rosanne told me that Fantastic Menagerie is fantastic for reading about one's family. Boy is she right.

Little Buddha (sigh) got me onto several lovelies, including the Renaissance/Secret, as did Fulgour (sigh) show me to the Lasenic and the Piatnik Wien (Pointer).

Cerulean has an eye for beauty.

AJ and I dislike some of the same decks :) I do believe we've passed the Medieval Cats back and forth at least once, maybe more?

More perhaps after the next nap.

eta: Whoops...Jackdaw. How could I forget Jackdaw?

eta again: And Kenji!