Your work appearing in a mass production deck?

Grigori

Well its been observed before, that Cirom borrowed the face of a certain notable politician for the Fool card in his Gilded Tarot. He says an accident, but some people remain unconvinced....

Today I see that a listing for his newest deck, the Legacy of the Divine has been posted on AT. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/legacy-divine/ Lovely looking deck I must say. But once again, I notice the Fool card does not seem entirely original. But this time it is not borrowed from a celebrity figure, instead it has been borrowed from me! :eek:

You will notice that my AT community tarot card, published some time before the creation of the Legacy of the Divine tarot, is very very similar to this latest version. Sure mine is more polished *cough*, but the similiarities are certainly there. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/project/4/major_fool.shtml

Yes, that is right, you heard it here first. Noted tarot designer of great repute Cirom, lists Similia as one of his inspirations. :laugh: Now I am not unreasonable, I think its great that Cirom found my work so inspiring. And I look forward to receiving my free copy of his work, in acknowledgement of my contribution. }) :laugh: After all, I do like to support up and coming tarot designers wherever possible ;)

Anyone else had a similar experience. That design you had in mind for a card, suddenly mysteriously appears in a major publication... Flattering, or thunder stealing? What say you? :D

canid

When first reading, I was so mad I was ready to spit nails & recommend an attorney or hit man! Seriously tho, that kind of behavior really tips me over the edge - I've had it happen to me in the past with designs (advertising) & the company I worked for issued a few 'cease & desist' warnings.

Hmm, I really like that new deck...

Grigori

Ah yes, I in case its not clear, I am very much joking. But still open to that free deck :laugh:

I'm working on a card at the moment, a little idea hit me and I'm running with it. I wonder if other people have had an idea in their head, a little secret something they would put on their deck, and one day see it come to life from someone else? It must happen a lot surely? :)

canid

Oh yeah, I have thought about it. I'm an artist & used to do the outdoor circuit, my problem is procrastination. Here are a couple -

Attachments

• afrangel.jpg
    afrangel.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ybird.jpg
    ybird.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 115

Lee

Or, similia, we could just as easily say that you borrowed from the Tarot of the Spirit!

There is no such thing as a new idea. })

Attachments

• spmaj00.gif
    spmaj00.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 164

Grigori

Lee said:
Or, similia, we could just as easily say that you borrowed from the Tarot of the Spirit!

There is no such thing as a new idea. })

I confess it was me! :D Actually that is funny, I recently got the Tarot of the Spirit and didn't even make the connection :|

I don't think there are any new ideas really. That is why I'm sure there must be more people who've experienced this. I'm working on a Tower card at the moment, with what I thought was a new idea, until I saw the Via tarot already did it. :rolleyes: (but I'm doing it better of course :laugh: )

moderndayruth

similia said:
Well its been observed before, that Cirom borrowed the face of a certain notable politician for the Fool card in his Gilded Tarot. He says an accident, but some people remain unconvinced....

Today I see that a listing for his newest deck, the Legacy of the Divine has been posted on AT. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/legacy-divine/ Lovely looking deck I must say. But once again, I notice the Fool card does not seem entirely original. But this time it is not borrowed from a celebrity figure, instead it has been borrowed from me! :eek:

You will notice that my AT community tarot card, published some time before the creation of the Legacy of the Divine tarot, is very very similar to this latest version. Sure mine is more polished *cough*, but the similiarities are certainly there. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/project/4/major_fool.shtml

Yes, that is right, you heard it here first. Noted tarot designer of great repute Cirom, lists Similia as one of his inspirations. :laugh: Now I am not unreasonable, I think its great that Cirom found my work so inspiring. And I look forward to receiving my free copy of his work, in acknowledgement of my contribution. }) :laugh: After all, I do like to support up and coming tarot designers wherever possible ;)

Anyone else had a similar experience. That design you had in mind for a card, suddenly mysteriously appears in a major publication... Flattering, or thunder stealing? What say you? :D

(((Similia)))
Thunder stealing, i'd say, though flattering at the same time... I am proud of you for being willing to set this out of court of law; though not so refined as the original - the new version is 'spreading the word' if you know what i mean and i believe that's all that matters at the end... Of course, receiving a free copy of Cirom's deck is just a sign of your utmost good will, modesty and sharing! }) :laugh:

KarlThomas

It is very hard to tell the two fools apart.

Greg Stanton

Human beings have an unrealistic expectation of themselves when it comes to originality -- especially in the art world.

Everything is a reaction to something else. Nobody lives in a vacuum, especially not an artist. Artists depict the world around them in a way that is thought-provoking, entertaining, or both.

If you feel your ideas have been a source of inspiration for an artist, I say be flattered and gratified.