January Sales Stories?

Le Fanu

Anyone got any tarot bargain stories from the January sales? I was just commenting to Grizabella the other day: funny, tarot decks never seem to be included in the January sales...

I hit the shops in Manchester this afternoon. Shops heaving with people and I decided to track down a pagan bookshop which Id heard about here at AT and despite being familiar with Manchester for over 30 years, I didn't know about this place. Anyway, so I found it and the stock was actually quite good. They had a Ukiyoe tarot (hurrah! OOP!), Giotto tarot (never seen this for sale anywhere), Corto Maltese and Arcus Arcanum. All priced at normal price, no noticable discount, but the pound is weak at the moment anyway so it works in my favour.

Anyway, half an hour later, I think "I should have bought that Breughel tarot" and so I decide to go back to the shop and get it. I walk back into the shop, and see all the tarot decks which Id been perusing laid out on a table with bumper price Sales discount stickers. The manager had come in and suddenly put the whole stock on sale half an hour after Id paid full price for everything! Don't you just hate it when that happens?

(by the way if anyone in the area is interested they've got quite a few interesting decks on sale. "New Aeon Bookshop". I almost bought a back up of LoS Classical Tarot, but am determined not to go down that ole back up road. Tarot de Paris? Half price? Druid Craft? Liber T? Hudes? Quite a few others. The bad news is, it's a clear out sale as the owner told me they're only going to stock RWS and Thoth from now on. The other stuff doesn't sell)

However, I lucked out a bit later in the day when I was taking a short cut down a street which Ive not walked down for over ten years, and I suddenly spotted a second hand bookshop (was I whistling?) which Ive not been in for 15 years or so. Something pulled me in (this always happens. I really think I must have a 6th sense for deck bargains). And I found a facsimile fortune telling deck from 1715 and a vintage early 1980s Tarot Zigeuner in immaculate condition.

Joy! Does anyone else want to to share their January Sales stories? I popped into Borders. but everything EXCEPT tarot decks seemed to be on sale :(

rwcarter

You have the darnedest luck with finding bargains! I want to curse and applaud you at the same time!

Rodney

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
You have the darnedest luck with finding bargains! I want to curse and applaud you at the same time!

Rodney

It's called being obsessive. I really ought to put my energies into other things. Like work. Lol!

LightTraveller

Le Fanu said:
I popped into Borders. but everything EXCEPT tarot decks seemed to be on sale :(
Exactly what I found to be the case at my Borders here yesterday. I think they've worked out that there's always someone willing to pay cover for a tarot deck. The Selena Lin Manga I had looked at was still there, but Magical Unicorns was gone. (Gift ideas I had for my niece, but we're going to give it another year, I think. She's not quite eight.) I had a 40%-off-any-item coupon but found it was only for Dec. 22-23. I guess I'll wait for another one of those.

Le Fanu

You gotta be parked out the front door with your sleeping bag.

Do I dare confess I went back to the shop and scooped up the other bargains? Tarot de Paris, Hudes, a Ukiyoe back-up, a Scarabeo Classical Tarot (back-up to trim), Universal Wirth. All dirt cheap.

And another confession: this is the biggest deck splurge ever. Fifteen new tarot decks in two days. Is that excessive? But I usually have a spending spree every January at a great tarot shop in Barcelona, and Im not going this forthcoming month, so I can kind of justify it (can't I?)

Blimey. Crazy shopping in January Sales and we haven't even hit January yet...