how long do you give a deck that isn't very accurate?

olivia1

How long do you keep trying to work with a deck ( that doesnt give very good results) until you trade it in for another? A few weeks ago I bought a new deck and I dont think it is working for me. At first it seemed to give fairly accurate results but then ( after the first couple of readings), things seemed to be either hit or miss.

At first I figured that the reason my readings were so inaccurate was because I am new to using tarot cards and probably did not fully understand what the cards were trying to say. but last night I did a reading and the reading was so off. I asked the cards if I was going to see my boyfriend that night and I got the impression that i wouldnt because the outcome was 3 of swords and the near future card was the towers ( i used the celtic cross, by the way). Well, not only did I get to see him, we also had a wonderful time. Now I feel cheated because I trusted this deck...ive made a few decisions based on what I think the deck has tried to tell me.

Now i want to get a new deck but since I am new to all of this, I was wondering if maybe I am being too hasty? Does everyone go through a period like this before getting accurate results? The deck I have is the Universal Waite ( which i got because I heard such wonderful things about it).

I have tried sleeping with the deck under my pillow because i heard it helps you bond with the cards but I am not sure if its working for me. Is it too early to trade this deck for a new one ( perhaps The Golden Tarot, which I saw at Barnes and Noble)?

tarotmama

I think it's probably too early.

Questions like the "will you see your boyfriend tonight" aren't really great questions to ask the tarot anyway. You might get more accurate results if you use it to try to gain insight into your situations rather than predict specific events.

Give it some time. I have a Rider-Waite deck that I wasn't very fond of at first, but it has definitely grown on me and now I use it frequently.

Namaste & Bright Blessings!

Feretian

Why trade?

As a former one-deck snob, I speak from experience. Often my success with a particular deck hinges upon my mood.

Deviant Moon when I'm contrary.

Housewives when I'm irreverent.

Maybe you're not in a Waite mood.

Just go get the Golden. It's exquisite.

ana luisa

Why don't you ask the deck why it is having a hard time bonding with you? Maybe it needs more time to establish a true link before it can start giving you answers...

re-pete-a

Stepping back and observing, you have had both good and bad. YES?

Sooo, that means that the only change is YOU ,YES ?

If that be so , then the focus of your attentions should be on the changeable.

Check your beliefs in your cards, it seems DOUBT is a ruling factor. In which case your cards are REALLY in tune with you.

MysticalMoose

First of all Hello :) ......In all honesty I would say you are probably trying to "run before you can walk"...Its not exactly that the cards are not giving very good results or giving wrong answers really... You say you are new to Tarot, I don't know how new you mean but maybe you need to get to really get to know your cards for a while & how each image makes you feel, study them in detail & maybe do a card a day reading for yourself before doing big spread like the celtic cross. There is just tooo much conflicting information in that spread to make much sense of at first.
Take your time, play with your cards & enjoy them.:) Remember that the magic is in you not the cards, the reading is all about your interpretation of the images & how they fit together.Building up a story if you like :)
How do you feel about the deck you have? do you love the images? or do they not really appeal? If you don't, you may want to have a look at pictures of other decks & find one that makes you feel "Yes!"....Personally I would perhaps give it some time, ready plenty & play!! ~ & don't put pressure on yourself to perform by making important decisions based on the cards for now :)
With Love MM :heart:

gregory

If you have been using the cards for a few weeks - yes, it's far too early to make a decision like that. (poor deck....)

Just look at the cards some. Don't try to use them until you really know them as images. Try reading ONE CARD instead of spreads. Take time.

AJ

You may be doing too much too soon? You asked a simple yes/no question and did a 10-12 card reading. Look through some of the 3 card spread here
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31867 and see if there aren't a few that would serve you better.

Welcome to the journey! The cards are just paper and paste, the truth lie within you.

lark

Actually the Three of Swords and the Tower accurately perdict the relationship with your deck not your boyfriend. :)

Baroli

Ahhhhh, a deck is just a bunch of paper and and ink. No offense but ya need

to sit down and study the deck and IMHO that means getting a notebook and

start a journal. A card a day pull it and look at it and write down what you

see in the card and what it means to you. Don't worry if you have a "Little

White Book" that comes a long with it, throw that out. You don't need it.

Just you, your deck and your notebook. Happy writing,...

PS. A lot of us started out that way. We didn't know what we were doing

either.