Keeping tarot decks for sentimental reasons

2_Journey

Deck collection culling advice needed!

So I'm in the process of going through my tarot collection to decide what to keep and what to let go to new homes. The majority of my collection I am content letting move on. Those are decks that I don't read with often, or at all. There are some decks that I read with and use (such as the Shining Tribe, Fey, Four Elements) that I know I am keeping.

But it turns out that there's a grey area!

I am finding a couple of decks that I don't want to let go even though I don't use them, for whatever reason. Strange, because I am not a sentimental person. I let my first tarot deck (the Universal Waite, which I used for months and months before buying a second deck) go to a friend with no problems, and haven't missed it. I let my second deck go to a used book store and didn't bat an eye, but that might be because I just didn't find myself getting along well with the Thoth.

But I'm finding that a couple of decks are symbolic in my life of the time that I used them intensively (like the Prague), or symbolic of an event that happenned around the time that I bought the deck (like the DruidCraft). I honestly don't know what to do with these decks. I don't read with them any more, won't read with them, and so should let them go. Will I regret it if I do? Has anyone done this, and if so, did you regret it?

For everyone else, are there decks you keep for purely sentimental reasons? How many? Which ones?

For me right now, its the Prague and the DruidCraft. And maybe the Ancestral Path, although that one is leaning towards the "let it go" category.

What about all of you?

Le Fanu

I know others will differ on this one, but I know what I would do...

Tarot decks are small. They don´t occupy much space. If I had let go of my decks 25 years ago, before life and other things took over and I virtually forgot about them, I would be bitterly disappointed now.

One of my current joys r.e tarot, is that I still have all the decks I bought all that time ago, and they all have huge sentimental value for me.

Never underestimate just how much we change. The things you don´t think twice about now, will become such treasures in the future. The decks you think you don´t connect with now, may speak to the future you.

tarotcardrose

Let go

I am a professional reader, and although I only have used one deck for my clients for many years, I have collected over 25 different decks.
I cleaned out mine and sold them on eBay. If you don't use them, leave them go to a home where they will be appreciated. And that will open up room for new energy to come into your life. I had two instances where I tried to sell a (gray) area deck on eBay, very low price and no one bought, it so I kept it, thinking it was a sign that I was meant to. You know how I decided with the ones I was torn between. I shuffled and asked them. I asked should I keep you...and in all cases they told me no. Some I was so disconnected with I couldn't even read the answer and in that case, leave them go. And await new energy that will come into your path when they go. Or post in the trade forum and trade a gray deck for a deck you really want.

rwcarter

I kinda agree with tarotcardrose - do a goodbye spread with the deck. If you currently answer Yes/No questions, then ask one; otherwise I think modifying the questions in a deck interview spread could work. If you used FireRaven's New Deck Interview Spread you could easily change the questions to past tense. What is/are becomes what was/were, what do becomes what did, and how can becomes how did.

Such an exit interview might give you the closure you need in order to say goodbye to the deck(s).

Rodney

Sinduction

I'm going to publicly come out and say that I am a hoarder! :D

It is very difficult for me to get rid of anything, especially my cards. But I try to tell myself that my cards want to be special. They all want to be my favorite deck. They want to be used and carried around and looked at and shuffled.

If I cannot give them that, it is my duty to pass them on to someone who can. And then I have to have faith that the cards are traveling on their own journey and I was just a short stop.

I only feel comfortable trading them away to people here. But there are others that no one wants so eventually I will work up the nerve to sell them to strangers.

It is a very difficult thing sometimes.

There is only one deck that I have ever re-acquired but I knew that before I sold it. Once my decks leave, I spend time with the other ones. And honestly, I mostly forget about them.

Perhaps you should start slow and just get rid of the ones you are sure about and then take your time with the others. :D

afrosaxon

Even though I don't use these decks hardly at all anymore:

I keep my Motherpeace because it's the first deck that I learned to read with.

I keep my Daughters of the Moon because 1) it's not that easy to find; 2) I have one of the older versions; 3) the suits and keywords on the cards are in German! :D

I don't have THAT many decks where space would be an issue (at this point :D).

T.

Tansey Ella

I am always going to keep Merlin Tarot b/c he was the first deck I bought and tried to learn with. I pulled the deck out just the other day. It has a book and journal. I don't think I paid $10 for the entire set. I recall when I first came to AT someone telling me to go get a proper Tarot set. :) Those big agonizing eyes looking at me- how could I part with him?

tarotmama

I only have a few decks myself. It takes me a *very long* time to decide to even get a new deck (for lots of reasons) and then if after another very long time I can't get in to it, I let it go.

I have regretted getting rid of a few decks though. Awhile ago I gave away a copy of the Buckland Romani Tarot (the older version -- not the new reprint) to someone who I thought needed it (for lots of reasons), and I don't think she's even ever cracked the cards. Ugggh. If I could, I would have taken that one back. :(

rwcarter

Sinduction said:
I'm going to publicly come out and say that I am a hoarder! :D
Sin and I are in the same boat. :thumbsup: But that doesn't stop me from giving ideas to someone else about how they can avoid being a hoarder if they don't want to be one. :D

Rodney

motsa

The ones I keep for purely sentimental reasons are the Angel Tarot and the Tarot of the Witches. They are the first decks I ever got, the only ones that were ever gifted to me, and I'd keep them, even if I had to get rid of every other card I own.