storing decks to stay flat? do yours bend in storage?

rif

Hi all,

I found a few old posts on this subject, but nothing that answered my questions.

I was recently looking through my deck collection (I have several but its small compared to some of your profiles :D). I noticed that several of my decks have started to curl, or bend, with time. These are decks that haven't been used.

My decks are all in their original boxes, complete with LWB, in a big shoebox. I've always stored them lying flat, i.e. face down. My oldest decks were probably purchased 15 year ago, so they aren't that old. But I bought a Thoth last year, and the deck is already starting to show a hint of that warping.

These are cards that are boxed and collected, not used. My theory is that storing them face down has caused them to "fold" over the LWB. It may not help that they are in my walk-in closet, which gets hot/cold according to the season.

Is this common? Do other people have little-used decks that have started to curve over time? Or am I the oddball with temperamental decks? :D

Also, has anyone been able to flatten a deck like this? I'd like to work more with my Albano-Waite, but the curve is somewhat annoying. The cards are curled along a diagonal.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

cardlady22

rif said:
My decks are all in their original boxes, complete with LWB, in a big shoebox. I've always stored them lying flat, i.e. face down.

These are cards that are boxed and collected, not used. My theory is that storing them face down has caused them to "fold" over the LWB.

I'm so new to tarot that I have no direct experience, but that is a good heads-up for me. Maybe I'll rearrange my shelves (again) so that they stand on edge like books. Thank you!

Perhaps they should be "flipped" from time to time like you do with a mattress.

For the ones that are already curled, I don't know if reversing them over the LWB and laying a larger heavy book would help? Maybe talk to a local librarian or someone who restores old books?

gregory

I have a collection built up over 40 years. None of the decks has curled (except one that was so when I bought it - the Poggi Dante.) Some are stored on end and some flat. Maybe your storage area has a hint of damp - that will do it. I have to say that most of mine with a BIG book in the kit are stored upright, just for my convenience.

When it happens to BOOKS I put them upright in bookshelves and CRAM the shelf full so that the offending book is effectively ironed for a few weeks.... I also do this when I have a book I need to glue together. I don't see why the same would not work for cards....

fairyhedgehog

I tend to store the LWBs separately. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My cards are all heaped in a small plastic crate at the moment, some in boxes and some in bags, but they seem to be OK.

rif

cardlady22: I put all mine so they are standing now, as well.

gregory: Good to hear your cards are all safe. :) I didn't think my walk-in closet is damp; my clothes never get a mildew smell or anything, at any rate! I thought about stacking cards under heavy books though, similar to what you suggest.

fairyhedgehog: when I sorted my collection the other night, I also pulled out some of the LWBs, to ensure the flat decks would stay that way.

I just got a White Cats tarot yesterday, and I see that it arrived with some slight bend to the deck after I opened it; so perhaps its been in storage at amazon.com's facilities for a while.

Thanks for these responses so far!

HearthCricket

I've noticed that in less than a week, my beloved Paulina Tarot has a bend in it. I have no idea why. The house is drier and colder than usual, and I have been using the deck, so it has been store lying down, most of the time. I think I will try hanging it from its bag on one of the bookcase knobs and see if that helps any. Very strange. I also keep it still in its box, but the LWB was not stored with it, but by my bedside, as I was reading through it!

rif

Because a picture is worth 1000...

http://tinyurl.com/7szh7r

This is a photo of my Albano-Waite deck (with cards alternating face up/down) so you can really get an idea of what a curved deck looks like, with all those gaps. :)

gregory

Ouch :(

I have NOTHING like that :D

rif

Thanks gregory, rub it in! ;)

I've stacked a couple hardcover books on that deck to try and flatten it, I'll let you guys know if it helps. I considered gregory's bookshelf suggestion, but I was having a hard time getting the cards to stay aligned in there.

Incidentally, I'm using Anatomy of Hatha Yoga and the New York Bartender's Guide. The combo just struck me as funny.

HearthCricket

That is because some are bent forward and others are bent backwards. Take the whole deck in hand and you can snap them either way (whichever way you desire!) from the middle of the deck. This is what my Paulina is doing to a certain extent. I want to iron her out!!! LOL I am hoping with time the cards will soften and not do this.