my first face-to-face-with strangers reading event

sapphireandsage

I'm doing my very first reading-for-strangers event tomorrow!

An acquaintence who owns a gift/accessories boutique in the historical downtown area of our little city herad through my sister that I'm a reader and asked me to come in and do a 3-hour block of readings in her store. I've got flyers and brochures ready to go and am armed with the wealth of knowledge I've obtained by scouring this message board (thanks, everyone!). I'm surprisingly not nervous about it.....yet! ;)

I'm offering the readings at no charge, but will have a very cutely decorated "good karma jar" out for anyone who wishes to toss something in there. So, these will (hopefully) be my first-ever paid readings after 25 years of reading privately for close friends and family. I'm just so excited to be able to take a long-time passion and use it to help others outside my small circle (and comfort zone!), while hopefully earning a little cash in the process!

I'm only taking one deck, plus 2 sets of oracle cards. I figured I'd be best off to start simply, so as to not overwhelm myself and anyone who sits down in front of me. My tarot-to-go bag is packed and ready...I'm just hoping I don't forget to take some cold water when I head out the door!

minrice

That's so exciting! Good luck to you and you'll have to let us all know how it went!

KarlThomas

Enjoy!

I was in a cafe yesterday, and did a reading for a woman, just a quick one, while her son and his friend played d and d, and ate grilled cheeses after school.

We flew as strangers into ridiculous intimacy, she was blushing and we were laughing at ourselves, she got a real look at an area where she needs to take action, and we were both quite enriched by the brief (12 mins) time looking.

Expect to be fulfilled seven different ways, reading for strangers rocks!
Congratulations on your courage.

afrosaxon

Good luck, s-and-s! :thumbsup:

T.

Seafra

Good luck and have fun! Who knows, this could be the start of a regular thing. Let us know how it all worked out for you. :)

sapphireandsage

Thanks for teh support! The weather here in Ohio is really cold, so I'm not sure what kind of turnout we'll get in the store tomorrow, but I'm hoping at least a few brave souls venture out of the house and stop by. It would definitely be great to have this become a somewhat regular thing!

nisaba

=smile= It's *so* much easier to read for strangers than it is for people you know - you don't have to get past your own preconceptions to get to what the cards are trying to tell you. Well done, and good luck.

As a matter of interest, I charge a set fee, and of that, the place where I read gets a portion as a thank-you for the space, and I always give about a fifth of my own take to a health-related charity.

sapphireandsage

Back from the event...had so much fun! The weather is still uncooperative, but I was able to read for 16 people today, including two high school friends I haven't seen in years who came from out of town for their reading and the very reluctant hubby of the shop owner. All seemed pleased with their readings and were able to relate to what information they were being given. I actually ended up staying an extra hour, and was hit with a major headache almost immediately upon walking through the door when I got home.

I've been asked to come back when the weather gets warmer and had several people inquire about doing parties. All in all, it was an awesome day! I'll try to add a photo that was taken (the sitter is a silly friend of mine, and we couldn't stop laughing long enough to get a serious business-like pic).

Attachments

• 3rosesjanuary.jpg
    3rosesjanuary.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 96

starrystarrynight

Congrats on a job well done!

(I love the "good karma" jar!) :)

tmgrl2

Wonderful!! Good luck, s&s....you will do well.

I have seen the idea of the Karma Jar...in ...that book on professional Tarot...
Christine Jette's book..pretty good book. I think she suggested putting some bills in the jar to start, 5's and 10s....hint, hint, hint....

Post back for us how it goes....everyone learns from these experiences!

terri