the Sun-day

nisaba

Sundays, I read at a friend's new age shop. I used to read for them right through the nineties and early this century, but life waylaid me and I went off and moved across the country. Now I'm back and I've been regularly reading for several months now.

Whammy: She owns a few shops, and is closing one of them down, so there will be too many readers and not enough time-slots, and she wants to "keep only the best" (meaning we're essentially competing with each other, which I don't like at all).

Double-whammy: She's offered me a car, hers, to replace my old one which died. Problem: I think (for no good reason) she's asking too much for it. Other problem: even if she halved the price, I still can't afford it right now.

Triple-whammy: she asked me if I can do web design - she needs someone to maintain her site. I have fiddled around with Coffee Cup a bit, but I'm no fully-trained expert. Her fee for my updating her site and ironing out some bugs will be a free car.

So tomorrow, as usual, I'll be packing my Travelling Witch Kit (as I like to call my Tarot bag), and I'll be off to do a day's worth of readings. I'm a virgo-cross-Taurus, I hate change. It's so threatening. Whine, whine, whine.

fairyhedgehog

That sounds like a really awkward situation.

celticnoodle

as faeryhedgehog mentioned--an awkward situation. however...

nisaba said:
Sundays, I read at a friend's new age shop. I used to read for them right through the nineties and early this century, but life waylaid me and I went off and moved across the country. Now I'm back and I've been regularly reading for several months now.

Whammy: She owns a few shops, and is closing one of them down, so there will be too many readers and not enough time-slots, and she wants to "keep only the best" (meaning we're essentially competing with each other, which I don't like at all).
I can understand her wanting to keep 'the best readers', because it's her business. naturally, she'll want the best and most popular readers. this is what keeps the customers coming to her. you can't fault her for that.
Double-whammy: She's offered me a car, hers, to replace my old one which died. Problem: I think (for no good reason) she's asking too much for it. Other problem: even if she halved the price, I still can't afford it right now.
if you feel she is asking too much-tell her the truth, that you just cannot afford it at this time.
Triple-whammy: she asked me if I can do web design - she needs someone to maintain her site. I have fiddled around with Coffee Cup a bit, but I'm no fully-trained expert. Her fee for my updating her site and ironing out some bugs will be a free car.
I think she is trying to help out a friend, (you) and doing so without really giving you anything for free. sounds pretty nice to me, but since you cannot afford this--just be honest and tell her that. I'd also be honest and tell her that you are not a web designer professional, and you are not sure if you can maintain her site.
So tomorrow, as usual, I'll be packing my Travelling Witch Kit (as I like to call my Tarot bag), and I'll be off to do a day's worth of readings. I'm a virgo-cross-Taurus, I hate change. It's so threatening. Whine, whine, whine.
ah, well, you have years of experience behind you--and I'm sure you'll be fine. I think that perhaps your friend is trying to help you out and in doing so thought an exchange for something you are in need of for an exchange of something she is in need of is a perfect answer for you both. She sounds like a good friend to me. Maybe something can still be worked out between you both where you can afford her car--(or not consider it at all), and work together on the web design and maintenance of it.

however, I will say, it's often very difficult to work for a friend--and even more so to purchase something from them--especially something like a car. I don't think I'd want to do that personally--but that is my own reasoning.

good luck. i do hope it works out for you well.