PDA

View Full Version : 5 of pentacles - positive meanings?

Stargirl
21-01-2009, 14:40
Hi all,

I am using the Vision Tarot deck and have been pulling the 5 of pentacles a lot lately. To me it symbolizes feeling a lack of some kind -- lack of money, lack of good health, lack of support, feeling isolated, etc. I was wondering if anyone here has felt a positive spin on this card? I occasionally draw in reference to my own feelings about things, but sometimes surrounded by positive cards.

Would love to hear any positive spins on this card!

Thanks...

KarlThomas
21-01-2009, 14:49
Hey, SG.

I just had a five of disks come up in a reading in the "harmony" position, which made me look closer at how it might be a positive card.

Here is what I saw, you'll have to adjust for vision deck:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1725807#post1725807

Hope this helps.

K

Debra
21-01-2009, 14:53
I see it as persistence in the face of adversity. You don't need a lot to survive.

wind
21-01-2009, 18:24
For me this card always represented help from someone else. When I was in deep trouble, financially, also when I was facing eviction. Someone came up and saved me.

Stargirl
21-01-2009, 21:49
Thanks... this adds some perspective...

balenciaga
22-01-2009, 01:39
Well, if one considers this numerically, one could say with the 4 of coins one was holding on tightly to oneself, not letting anything "slip". By the 5, the person realizes in order for change to happen (5), a risk has to be taken; one has to make a good faith payment. The person has to put themselves on the line (with money, with time), make a necessary sacrifice, in order to change things.

blackairplane
22-01-2009, 01:51
I had the card come up for me over and over in a year in which I was helping someone in my family who was going through a hard time. I often read the card as a situation in which you are required to help someone you love, and are glad to, but that this helping causes you some financial distress as well.

afrosaxon
22-01-2009, 01:58
Marriage (from the Ettellia meaning) (my favorite, and how I usually interpret this card)

Two people sticking it out--together ("us" against the world).

A couple; a joined force, in tandem (New Orleans Voodoo Tarot)

T.

blackairplane
22-01-2009, 02:01
Marriage (from the Ettellia meaning) (my favorite, and how I usually interpret this card)

T.

Yeah, thats how I see it too, a long familiar love haul: as in love is "what you have been through with somebody". Sickness and health sort of thing, but I think it can extend to others you love and care about not just husbands and wives.

le fey
22-01-2009, 02:02
Not sure I can even articulate this right, because I'm not Catholic... but many with holy orders take on a vow of poverty and surely it's intended as a positive act? I may be way off but I think the idea is letting go of what you own - what ties you to the material - in order to develop spiritually, esp. in terms of learning to trust in the sacred to provide what you need?

Sophie
22-01-2009, 02:23
I see you are using the Vision Tarot, which is based on the Tarot de Marseille and older Italian decks. In the Marseille deck, the 5 of Coins is not the bleak card it is in the RWS. The 5 coins shows an evolution from the stability of the fours - but also it is about risk-taking and small investments, especially financially or in other resources. We don't know if the investments will pay off at this stage.

Kabbalistically, 5s are the test of Severity - the test that forges and refines our characters: in the case of the 5 of Coins, the test concerns our ressources. But it only really works if it's associated with its partner - 4s, which are the gift of Mercy and Compassion: we can face the test, and pass it and grow from it, if we receive and give compassion (to ourselves and others).

That is hinted in the classic RWS imagery, which shows two people struggling together in the snow. But as far as I can make out, this image was not the one chosen for the Vision Tarot, whose creator specifically looked back to the pre-RWS era for his imagery and interpretations, reinterpreting them in modern context.

Aurelious
22-01-2009, 03:59
The first things that come to mind when I see the 5 of Pents is "turning a corner." Things look rough and you may feel barren, barely clinging on to the material but the light shining through the window reveals hope. And who knows what's hiding around the corner of this illuminated building...

Stargirl
23-01-2009, 04:58
Wow, thank you all - these are such great responses. Not having the Rider-Waite, I didn't connect it to a pair of people.

Fudugazi, that's true -- the Vision deck minors are pretty basic; the 5 of pentacles is a picture of 5 coins on a simply designed background.

The 5 appeared at the end of what were mainly positive cards, and in my context I can see how it may mean that it will have been how I feel at the end of a long, stressful-yet-strengthening journey.

MantraTarot
25-01-2009, 01:47

T.

i like that positive interpretation. this card was depressing to me when i first started to learn about it. good thing i read this thread.

Morwenna
25-01-2009, 16:10
Since most of my cards are RWS-descendents, my take on the image already described often has the sense of _feeling_ left out and abandoned, whether it is in fact so or not. The bleak picture is often a temporary thing, depending on how soon the querent looks through that window, seeks out the door, etc.

Teheuti
26-01-2009, 06:24
The Etteilla meanings for the Five of Coins are:
"Lovers, spouse, marrieds, mistress. To like, cherish, adore. Friend. Agreement. Suitability, propriety."

Papus saw it as the "Opposition to the Opposition," that is:
"A success coming which will balance the loss."

The old playing card meanings are similar:
"Unexpected news, generally of a good kind."

A blending of the new and old meanings says:
"Good for love but not for money."

Personally, I think the old wedding vows are appropriate:
"For better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health . . ."

fire queen
26-01-2009, 06:43
5 pents came just before I broke up with my bf and that was how I felt. It was so pictorial for me. I was standing outside the sports center he was training in. The lights, music and people training including him could be seen/heard from outside and I was aching outside in the cold (both cold and heartwise). I was broke with no pentacles in my pocket also. I had the urge to go in and make up with him but my pride did not allow me to do so. I thought better be poor in the heart and lick my wounds and ache rather than go in and beg for his love (his coins of love maybe). So there is a pride factor associated with this card also which I liked at that time because it helped me to feel better for some reason I did not know. You just feel that you can not go into that door and building to ask for help because of your pride however it made me respect myself and think highly of myself because I was no beggar and I did not give in in his whims.

Teheuti
26-01-2009, 07:04
I was standing outside the sports center he was training in. The lights, music and people training including him could be seen/heard from outside and I was aching outside in the cold (both cold and heartwise).
I know someone else who had almost the same experience. She stood outside the local community center during a Christmas dance, watching, through a window, her ex-bf inside dancing with his new girl friend, and knowing she couldn't go in. It made her feel like such an outsider.

I love it when the cards are so absolutely literal !

FaireMaiden
26-01-2009, 09:45
In working with the downtrodden, I have had this card come up almost exclusively when someone is quitting something that they used to strongly identify themselves thru... such as, drugs, smoking, drinking, bad love, gambling, shopping, denial of joy, the whole victimization thang, blah, blah, blah...

They feel bereft without their ______ (fill in the blank), and yet, letting go is so very liberating for them. They are in Process (which is what this card actually means to me)... the process of re-creating their 'idea' of themselves. And that is the positive note. Such aspiration is not without its sacrifice, its struggle, but it portends an absolute air of living and being more authentically who we actually are and want to believe ourselves to be.

So, it's a great card of Hope, of Promise, and of 'this too shall pass'... but, in the reading, these things are not spoken of until the pain of the process is sincerely acknowledged... and dwelt upon for a bit... for there is a certain 'pride in overcoming' the pain of change that goes very far in extending the necessary compassion, that leads to trust, between a querent and reader.

Seafra
26-01-2009, 11:51
A blending of the new and old meanings says:
"Good for love but not for money."

Oh, this phrase is a keeper for this card. Got a reading in my journal that needed these exact 7 words badly. Thank you, thank you!!

Nevada
26-01-2009, 12:04
I think it can be about the downtrodden coming together and standing up against merciless social structures, not always successfully but in any case finding strength together.

Also a long marriage or a long friendship, in which the pair (or more people, perhaps a family or circle of friends) have stood the trials and tests of time and remained faithful, stuck together, seen their way together through many difficulties.

fire queen
28-01-2009, 06:05
I have a book by Sasha Fenton " Fortune telling by Tarot Cards" which is quite basic and simple for beginners. It is a terrific book and I love it. There is a nice positive interpretation of 5 of coins there. She says that when this card turns upright although loss and loneliness prevails, there is warmth and love coming but probably not from where the questioner most wishes it to come and she says that romances and affairs may flourish but not deeply satisfying emotionally and most likely the loss is financial.
So it supports the interpretation " We heard your MayDay, help is on the way" :)

Moonbow
28-01-2009, 08:45
I had the Vision Tarot once, the most disappointing deck I ever had, or so I thought. Now I would really like that deck back.... oh well.

Fudu speaks very closely to how I would see this card in a positive light. Generally I would see fives as a card of confusion and scattered issues. Is that always negative though? Sometimes its necessary to 'brain storm', to act outside of the box, do something out of the ordinary. Five of Coins could definitely represent that.

fire queen
01-02-2009, 03:14
I found a really lovely and cute 5 of pentacles in hello kitty tarot.
Here is the link http://popartmachine.com/machine/daily/082408/hello_kitty_tarot_magic_cards/hello_kitty_pentagram_magic_rain.jpg
It says even in dire circumtances there is someone to cuddle up to.

Firewind17
20-02-2009, 06:59
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you.
This thread certainly broadened my view of
this card. I've been defining it as a need to
financially simplify my life and to be less
materialistic. I'm not very much anyway
but that is always a good reminder, I guess.

You've all opened my mind to so many
wonderful thoughts about this card and I
just wanted to thank all of you for making
these posts. warmly, sharon

nisaba
20-02-2009, 07:04
Five is hte number of instability. It tells you not to lean too heavily on this element. So it is a negative card if your life or your self-esteem is based on money, but it's all good if you can manage on whatever you have, and still feel good about yourself. I take it as a warning card, not a "bad" card, and use its arrival to fine-tune my own attitudes to material things.

About the only things I can't part with are Tarot decks and books, so I'm already quite evolved <grin>.