How do you deal with querent's denial ?

ana luisa

Maybe this should be posted on Chat but I have a question for those of you who read on a regular basis or even professionaly. Sometimes, when you look at a spread, you just KNOW. It's not even the cards, but you are absolutely sure of what they are telling you. There's no self-doubt, no questioning, just IT. And then, you tell the sitter and he/she denies it vehemently. And often, may get angry or defensive. I have to be honest here: I feel lost and awkward.
I understand that what matters in the end is that the message was sent. It may not be welcome but it was delivered. But what about the anger and defensiveness? How do you readers handle this ?

rwcarter

I think you have to let the Querent know that you're just reporting what you see in the cards. Assuming you don't know the Querent or their situation, you have no vested interest in the information you're giving them, so it's not like you're giving them bad news for any other reason than that's what you see in the cards. If the outcome is something that the Querent doesn't agree with, you can let them know that they have the free will to make changes so that outcome doesn't occur.

Anger and defensiveness are often indicators that you've hit close to a truth that the Querent isn't ready to handle or face yet. I don't think there's anything you can really do to "handle" those reactions from Querents other than what I've indicated above. I think it would be a mistake to even hint that you might be wrong, because they'll latch onto that as a reason to dismiss the entire reading and you as a reader. True, you might be wrong. But you might not.

Rodney

franniee

When it is that definite I look them in their eyes and very gently but firmly tell them to leave it alone for a moment and think about it later when we are apart and they will understand. Whether or not they get it later depends on the person......but the message was delivered. :)

This has happened often. When they become combative I end the session. I think I posted one incidence when this woman got terribly angry with me and I had to end the session abruptly but I should never have read her in the first place - it is what it is - and she didn't want to hear.

:heart: Ana :heart:

lark

Sometimes the anger comes out of shock...shock that you pinned it that clearly and quickly...and the anger is a defence mechanism to cover up the shock and not allow you anymore access into themselves.
I often find that people really don't believe that you can see a situation with tarot, they believe they can hide things easily, and they are often shocked when you pick up on something they never intended to reveal or talk about.

So I just gently say what franniee says..."I'm here to do the best job I can for you and that is what I am seeing...it might not make sense right now, but please take it away with you and just think about it...it might make sense later"...
That way it just seems like they are forgetful and not trying to hide something...
Usually they calm right down and then I suggest we move on to another question...if they have no other question then the reading is over.

Rev_Vesta

for me I type up the reading and give it to them to take it away...

for one it allows me to bewary for the words i use, to make sure i don't come accross all know it all, or judgemental......
and two it allows the client to take it away, read it and then acknowledge it in their own mind.......... I tell a client that what i given them is personal and only belongs to them, that i do not keep a copy of their reading becasue it does not make sense to me,as i do not know them personally.. I am a messenger a vehicle for Spirit to deliver their message......

and it is up to them what they do with the message.......

hope helps...

Vesta

Baroli

I am with Lark and Franniee on this. I have found that when people protest

too much, you have hit a bullseye. Now you can sit there and go tit-for-tat

and argue the point with the sitter, but you are there not to argue, but just

to do the best job you can. Chances are as you go on with the reading it

will just hit them suddenly and the light bulb goes on and they understand,

they get it. Other times they will just go and never acknowledge to you or

to themselves that they have some serious $h*t going on.

Briar Rose

I remember a reading I had. At the time it didn't make any sense at all. "That isn't my life," I said. "The reader got me all wrong."

I think I even complained about it here on AT.

Then 6 months later everything she said came true!

So maybe you could say, "From what I've read in the cards isn't what seems to be likely now, but lets see what the future holds."

Dragon Rider

Several years ago, I did a public reading during our college fair. A woman only a few years older than me came to the booth together with her two friends. She did not have any question; it was apparent that they were merely "trying it out to see how it goes."

I did the customary Celtic Cross and it turned out this woman was married, but carrying out two affairs simultaneously. I *gently* asked her about it and she became *hysterical* and accused me of making her look "bad" in front of her friends, who apparently had no idea of her double life prior to the reading. She said she doesn't know what I'm talking about, but eventually she calmed down and admitted she had two boyfriends aside from her husband who was working abroad.

She walked out with her friends in tow and I was left shaken. Later, the president of our paranormal organization told me it wasn't my fault, but I was kinda *disturbed* with her (to me) blowing the matter out of proportion. I still read for the public sometimes, but I get the *chills* when something inappropriate or potentially disturbing comes up... I get nervous disclosing it to the querent because it might become a point of contention again.

M-Tarot-M

"I know nothing.....I just repeat what they tell me"

At the least, whether right or wrong people will be impressed you communicate with something out of their reach.

It is not you. It is what the gods say. Let them take the responsibility.

Don't get heady when they are correct and don't feel deflated or attacked when someone insists they are wrong.

Umbrae

Sometimes we do 'know'.

Sometimes the sitter says 'no'.

It's not our job to label their reaction as 'denial', we neither have the entire story nor are we God.

Our job is to read the cards. Nothing more.

Yeah they can protest too much and we can be 'sure' we were right - even so - our job is only to read the cards. Nothing more.