PDA

View Full Version : Using 'quote'

canid
27-01-2009, 07:30
I've read instructions on how to do this, how to show part of someone's post that shows up in the blue box as a quote, but I DON'T GET IT! Can someone tell me again, please? I"ve tried copying & pasting that portion into my post but it's obviously operator error.

minrice
27-01-2009, 07:32
Are you clicking on the little blue "quote" to the far right of the poster's post? Click on it and you'll get their quote in the white box with space for you to write under it. Or you can just use the code...
bracket, Quote, equal sign, user/member name of the person you're quoting, bracket. Then copy/paste the quote you want. Then bracket, backslash, Quote, bracket.

thorhammer
27-01-2009, 07:40
And it's the square bracket, not parentheses or curly brackets :)

\m/ Kat

canid
27-01-2009, 07:44
Are you clicking on the little blue "quote" to the far right of the poster's post? Click on it and you'll get their quote in the white box with space for you to write under it..

Did I get it?

canid
27-01-2009, 07:45
And it's the square bracket, not parentheses or curly brackets :)

\m/ Kat

Hah, thank you!!

Alta
27-01-2009, 07:45
You can also edit down whatever you quote, just make sure all the brackets stay intact.

minrice
27-01-2009, 07:56
Oh yes, good job Canid ;)

Le Fanu
18-02-2009, 08:10
I never know how members can include two different quotes from two different posts and two different members. Or more!!

thorhammer
18-02-2009, 08:23
I never know how members can include two different quotes from two different posts and two different members. Or more!!
I just press the Quote button, edit the quote as I want and highlight it, then either Ctrl+C or right-click->Copy, then press the back button on the browser. Quote the next post you want, and where you want the first bit click and press Ctrl+V or right-click and Paste - that help?

\m/ Kat

Cat*
18-02-2009, 08:50
I've posted an explanation here (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=94688) (post #18).

Besides that, it's like thorhammer said: all copy and paste (either by Ctrl+... or by using the context menus with my mouse), with occasional hand-coding added in, e.g. when you want to split the original quote (see above link) to reply to go back and forth between the quote and your reply.

Practice with quoting a short post and see if you get how the code works (hint: the important bits are at the beginning and end...). It's really easy once you grasped the underlying system. And soon you'll be able to do quotes within quotes! :)

Le Fanu
21-02-2009, 08:22
Nope... still can´t make sense of it... But no probs, I think I can live only ever doing ONE quote per post!

Cat*
21-02-2009, 09:28
I don't doubt you'll live just fine with just one quote per post. :)

However, I bet I could teach you how to do multiple quotes per post. :D If you're game, let's start with making sure we're on the same page: What do you do to get one quote in a reply? I'll talk you through it from there if you want... :)

GreenMoonBeam
21-02-2009, 15:47
I've read instructions on how to do this, how to show part of someone's post that shows up in the blue box as a quote, but I DON'T GET IT! Can someone tell me again, please? I"ve tried copying & pasting that portion into my post but it's obviously operator error.

Hmm, another challenge for me to do more than one quote as well.:bugeyed:
I just press the Quote button, edit the quote as I want and highlight it, then either Ctrl+C or right-click->Copy, then press the back button on the browser. Quote the next post you want, and where you want the first bit click and press Ctrl+V or right-click and Paste - that help?

\m/ Kat

Nope... still can´t make sense of it... But no probs, I think I can live only ever doing ONE quote per post!
I don't doubt you'll live just fine with just one quote per post. :)

However, I bet I could teach you how to do multiple quotes per post. :D If you're game, let's start with making sure we're on the same page: What do you do to get one quote in a reply? I'll talk you through it from there if you want... :)
OMG. I think I can I think I can.....Thank you so very very much for this, again. :party::heart::party::love::party:

Le Fanu
23-02-2009, 00:04

I click on where it says quote, bottom right, underneath the quote I want to use...

Cat*
23-02-2009, 07:17
I click on where it says quote, bottom right, underneath the quote I want to use...
Okay, so you end up with a window that has something like this (without the hyphens):
[-QUOTE=Cat]Yadda yadda yadda. Blah blah blah.[-/QUOTE]

I'll assume you know how to edit out (= just delete) the bits you don't want to quote?

So now I'll explain how to split quotes when quoting the same post from the same author. :)

1. You put your cursor to the end of part you want to quote first and type an additional [-/QUOTE] (minus the hyphen).
2. Then you write what you have to say below this (with the rest of the quote still hanging at the end of the reply window). If it gets confusing, you can separate the second part of the quote with a few line-breaks (= hitting "enter").
3. Finally, you type an additonal [-QUOTE=Cat] or simply [-QUOTE] (minus the hyphens) in front of the second bit of the quote. Then you go to the end of the quote and write the second piece of your reply.

In short, you make sure you have one [-QUOTE=username] or [-QUOTE] at the beginning of each quote, and an [-/QUOTE] at the end of each quote (again, minus the hyphens). You can always delete the bits of the quote you don't need.

Like this:

[-QUOTE=Cat]Yadda yadda yadda.[-/QUOTE]
The first part of your reply.

[-QUOTE]Blah blah blah.[-/QUOTE]
The second part of your reply.

If you leave out the hyphens, you get this:
Yadda yadda yadda.
The first part of your reply.

Blah blah blah.
The second part of your reply.

See if you can do it. :) If you can get it to work, the next lesson will be quoting different people in one post. If you can't get it to work, let me know where you get stuck and I'll try to explain it better. :)

Le Fanu
23-02-2009, 08:05
1. You put your cursor to the end of part you want to quote first and type an additional

Like this?

better. :)

OK, so it has to have [Quote] plus username at the beginning of each fragment...?

Cat*
23-02-2009, 08:46
...(Okay, for some reason I can't preview this, so I'll post it and edit if necessary. Wait a minute or two before you do anything...)

Yay! You did it! :thumbsup:

OK, so it has to have [Quote] plus username at the beginning of each fragment...?
Exactly. "QUOTE" has to be in all caps, though.

Including the username is useful if you want to make sure that everybody can keep track of who said what, but I often leave it out after the first quote. If you leave it out, you get the version you can see at the very end of my previous post.

Great, now on to quoting different people in the same post! :)

Here, you first want to make sure you know how to work your favorite copy and paste technique (either by using the right-click mouse menu, or your browser menu, or key combinations like Ctrl+C for copying and Ctrl+V for pasting).

Then you need to decide if you'll use Word or Editor or another notepad/text program or if you're gonna do it all in your browser. I'll explain all ways, but you only need to pick one.

Using a text program (easy data saving! no automatic log-out!):
1. Click "QUOTE" as you did before.
2. Copy the complete text in the reply window and paste it into your text file.
3. Edit the quote the way you just learned, by deleting the bits you don't need, and by splitting the quote where you want to with the help of adding [-QUOTE] or [-QUOTE=username] at the beginning and [-/QUOTE] at the end of each quote bit (minus the hyphens).
4. Go back to your browser and click "Back." Go to the next post you want to quote and repeat the "QUOTE" clicking, copying, pasting, and editing.
5. You can either add your replies right after editing each quote bit, or you can fiddle with the code first and then add your replies.
6. When you're done, go back to your browser and click "Post Reply" (you can find the button at the bottom of each thread page). A new and empty reply window will open.
7. Go back to your text program, copy the whole mess and paste it into the reply window in your browser.
8. Click "Preview Post" and admire your work. If something doesn't look the way it should, check for any missing slashes or square brackets in your code - which you'll find right below your preview in the reply window.
9. When the preview finally looks like you want to, click "Submit Reply" and admire your work in the context of the thread. :)

Using your browser only:
a) If you use tabbed browsing...
1. Right-click "Post Reply" (you can find the button at the bottom of each thread page) and pick "open in new tab" from your context menu. This opens a new tab with a new and empty reply window in it.
2. Do steps 2 to 5 as described above, alternating between the thread tab and your reply tab.
3. When you're done, do steps 8 and 9 as described above.

b) If you don't use tabbed browsing...
1. Right-click "Post Reply" (you can find the button at the bottom of each thread page) and pick "open in new window" from your context menu. This opens a new browser window with a new and empty reply window in it.
2. Do steps 2 to 5 as described above, alternating between the thread window and your reply window.

Ta-dah! :D Let me know if my explanation is confusing...

Cat*
23-02-2009, 08:48
grrrrr.... I can't post to this thread right now... Have saved the post and will try later...

Cat*
23-02-2009, 08:52
(Okay, this is part one, since the forum won't let me post all of it at once...)

Yay! You did it! :thumbsup:

OK, so it has to have [-Quote-] plus username at the beginning of each fragment...?
Exactly. I just found out that you can write "quote", "QUOTE", or "Quote". (Only write it without the hyphens or it won't show up.)

Including the username is useful if you want to make sure that everybody can keep track of who said what, but I often leave it out after the first quote. If you leave it out, you get the version you can see at the very end of my previous post.

...more to come!

Cat*
23-02-2009, 08:53
(part 2...)

Great, now on to quoting different people in the same post! :)

Here, you first want to make sure you know how to work your favorite copy and paste technique (either by using the right-click mouse menu, or your browser menu, or key combinations like Ctrl+C for copying and Ctrl+V for pasting).

Then you need to decide if you'll use Word or Editor or another notepad/text program or if you're gonna do it all in your browser. I'll explain all ways, but you only need to pick one.

Using a text program (easy data saving! no automatic log-out!):
1. Click "QUOTE" as you did before.
2. Copy the complete text in the reply window and paste it into your text file.
3. Edit the quote the way you just learned, by deleting the bits you don't need, and by splitting the quote where you want to with the help of adding [-QUOTE] or [-QUOTE=username] at the beginning and [-/QUOTE] at the end of each quote bit (minus the hyphens).
4. Go back to your browser and click "Back." Go to the next post (by the same author or a different one) you want to quote and repeat the "QUOTE" clicking, copying, pasting, and editing.
5. You can either add your replies right after editing each quote bit, or you can fiddle with the code first and then add your replies.
6. When you're done, go back to your browser and click "Post Reply" (you can find the button at the bottom of each thread page). A new and empty reply window will open.
7. Go back to your text program, copy the whole mess and paste it into the reply window in your browser.
8. Click "Preview Post" and admire your work. If something doesn't look the way it should, check for any missing slashes or square brackets in your code - which you'll find right below your preview in the reply window.
9. When the preview finally looks like you want to, click "Submit Reply" and admire your work in the context of the thread. :)

Using your browser only:
a) If you use tabbed browsing...
1. Right-click "Post Reply" (you can find the button at the bottom of each thread page) and pick "open in new tab" from your context menu. This opens a new tab with a new and empty reply window in it.
2. Do steps 2 to 5 as described above, alternating between the thread tab and your reply tab.

b) If you don't use tabbed browsing...
1. Right-click "Post Reply" (you can find the button at the bottom of each thread page) and pick "open in new window" from your context menu. This opens a new browser window with a new and empty reply window in it.
2. Do steps 2 to 5 as described above, alternating between the thread window and your reply window.

Ta-dah! :D Let me know if my explanation is confusing...

Le Fanu
24-02-2009, 20:42
grrrrr.... I can't post to this thread right now... Have saved the post and will try later...

Like this?

Hmm, another challenge for me to do more than one quote as well.:bugeyed:

OMG. I think I can I think I can.....Thank you so very very much for this, again. :party::heart::party::love::party:

To be honest, I couldn´t follow the instructions. No idea what my text file is... I just copied GreenMoonbeam´s text via "quote", then went back and pasted it into your post (via "quote").

Is that what the above is explaining? But thank you anyway.... (PS; now that we´re out of de-enabling, the Sheridan-Douglas is one of my favourites! ;))

Cat*
25-02-2009, 08:01
Like this?
Yes! :thumbsup:

To be honest, I couldn´t follow the instructions. No idea what my text file is...
Your text program could be Word, for example, or it could be WordPad or Editor.

I just copied GreenMoonbeam´s text via "quote", then went back and pasted it into your post (via "quote").

Is that what the above is explaining?
Well, more or less, yes. :) I'm not entirely sure how you did it but you made it work and that's what counts, right? Well done!

(PS; now that we´re out of de-enabling, the Sheridan-Douglas is one of my favourites! ;))
;) I didn't take it off my wishlist, yet...