Did you ever confuse your cards??

tarotcardrose

I know, I know I did something "experimenting" and ended up with the perpetual "egg on my face". During my readings, for 20 years, I have shuffled the cards, fanned them out for a client and had them pick the number in which I use (21).

The other day I was bored and I thought," Well, what if the client just shuffles and I pick the cards off the top, etc, etc."

Then I didn't "feel" like the reading was that great. So, I said , "Well, I will have the client pick ten, then I will pick the other 11 for them. Then, the reading was so-so.

So, I decided to just go back to my normal way. And my cards seem confused! They aren't reading right! What the heck did I do? I never had this happen to me before.

Grizabella

You may have confused yourself but you haven't done anything to your cards. Cards don't "read" right or wrong. You're the one who does the reading and if you're confused, it's all within you.

Deacon76

I agree with Griz on this. Your cards are fine. You just threw yourself for a loop. Anytime you do something for so long, and then up and try to change it, your mind rebels against the action and screams "this is wrong!" The way you shuffle and deal your cards is a ritual. It's neither good nor bad; right nor wrong. But it is part of how you read. Change - if you feel it is necessary - will take time. But don't be too hard on yourself (or your cards for that matter. Remember, they're paper and ink, and don't get confused). You didn't do anything wrong. You tried something new, it wasn't for you, and the bad taste it left hung around like a hangover. This too shall pass! Take the pressure off of yourself, and you'll be back to reading in no time.

Blessings!
---Deacon

tarotcardrose

Thanks

Thanks guys! :) I think both are right. I seems to have been something inside that I lost confidence with as it wasn't my normal thing. i'll go take a sea salt bath & meditate! I think, another thing is, I read 6 days a week. And on my days off my friends want readings. I think I need to take a day or two with NO readings period, to give myself & the cards a break. I think i'm burnt out.

Cactus

Yes, it's definitely within you. I did something similar recently. I did a reading and after the cards were laid out (4 card reading) I spaced out for a second. I returned to the reading quickly and realized I forgot what each card position was!

I don't refer to spreads in books - I either wing it or make up a spread as I go along, telling myself what position each card is, not out loud.

I was so confused. I didn't know where to start and got so flustered that I decided to just read all of the cards as one story, trusting that I'd hit upon good things. It worked out OK but MAN, I hated that feeling of confusion!

Alissa

Years ago I used to shuffle and deal from the top when laying out a spread. Then I got into this difficult phase of trying to figure out when to stop shuffling and was ready to start dealing. One more shuffle, one more.

I got very confused about it all, and as a result my reading felt jumbled and out of sorts as well.

For me, I started a new way of shuffling where I simply split the deck when I'm ready to pull a card. The right card is always right there and there is no time to stop shuffling really. I will often shuffle between choosing cards and continue splitting the deck until I have all the cards for my spread.

Not saying to do it my way, just sharing how I resolved for myself a similar dilemma. I'm random though, I've never met anyone else who spins the deck and selects cards the way I do.

hodgeandpodge

I've been (out of habit nothing else) shuffling, dividing cards into three piles, re-stacking then, and then picking the 7th card (I know I know, all that drama!) just because that's what my mentor taught me and I got used to it. When I started doing readings with my husband, he wants to fan the cards out and pick randomly, which irked me a bit (because i felt pressured to pick the 'right one' ) but as it seems to work just fine when I got used to it. It certainly taught me to be less of a control freak! Now my almost-2-year-old wants to join and she ALMOST ALWAYS picks the card on the very top...i try to trust that there are no accidents, and it seems to work just fine no matter how strange this is to me :)

tarotcardrose

yes!

Yes you guys are all so right. I just began today doing it normal. And sometimes, when I am just answering questions at the end of the reading, to clarify, I just hold the deck in my hands (hanson-roberts small) and just pull cards from anywhere I feel, middle , end etc. It is always right . I always get the exact correct cards. So the universe knows what card to lead us to. !! Thanks for all your advice!

Cactus

That's a very important point - to remember that you will ALWAYS get the right cards.

There are a few times where uncertainty creeps in: when I'm really tired (which means I can't properly focus, ground or protect myself), when I'm rushed (again, I can't focus if I'm rushed and worried about doing a speedy reading and thinking about time), or when I'm distracted.

If the above conditions are present, I really try hard not to do readings.

SunChariot

tarotcardrose said:
I know, I know I did something "experimenting" and ended up with the perpetual "egg on my face". During my readings, for 20 years, I have shuffled the cards, fanned them out for a client and had them pick the number in which I use (21).

The other day I was bored and I thought," Well, what if the client just shuffles and I pick the cards off the top, etc, etc."

Then I didn't "feel" like the reading was that great. So, I said , "Well, I will have the client pick ten, then I will pick the other 11 for them. Then, the reading was so-so.

So, I decided to just go back to my normal way. And my cards seem confused! They aren't reading right! What the heck did I do? I never had this happen to me before.

A lot of reading has to do with confidence and faith in the cards that come up. I think when you tried the new method, you were not confident enough that it would work and that the right cards would come up. The right cards do always come up, btw, and the source that sends us the answers (however one choosed to envision that) is not at all that easily confused. If you understood what method you meant to use that source would send your answering using that method.

I think what happened is switching methods inserted a sense of doubt into your mind. You may have wondered or thought "What if this method doesn't work as well?" or something along those lines. And that was enough to affect your reading. If you are not sure you trust the right answers came up, it's very hard to take them seriously and see them as THE answer.

Althughth, there is nothing wrong with experimenting, btw, it is a good thing in learning to read Tarot. Sometimes by experimenting we find better ways to do things for ourselves. Just that the faith that the answers can easily get to you through a large variety of ways can be an important component.

For me, it looks like that is what happened.

Babs