PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of something for bedwetting??

becrmathis
30-01-2009, 11:27
I heard awhile back about some type of oil your put on the belly before bedtime and it stops the child from bedwetting, anyone know what that is? Or any suggestions that are all natural as my daughter can not take the medication to stop bedwetting. Thanks All

Penfold
30-01-2009, 17:09
No idea what crystals will help......my little Brother had a terrible time bed wetting when he was younger and the more he fretted about it the worse it got, my poor mother tried everything and what worked was waking him up during the night to go to the toilet, after about a month he started waking up himself at the allotted time and taking himself to the toilet.

We also put a little torch next to his bed so he would not be affraid of going to the bathroom in the dark and set targets for him such as a reward if his sheets stayed dry for 2 nights, then 4, then a week ....

Good luck and I have been reading all about Rose Quartz, it might settle her anxieties about the bed wetting.

Grigori
30-01-2009, 18:31
How old is your daughter becrmathis? Any patterns that you've noticed, when it occurs, when it doesn't etc..

becrmathis
30-01-2009, 23:15
My daughter is 8 years old has always wet, but it seems to be in more amounts. And is nightly not periodically. She does not wake up, but to take off the wet clothes or move to a different bed(sometimes). She is not embarressed by it at all and that does not help in the aid of "fixing" the problem.

sstack2
30-01-2009, 23:40
My daughter was a bedwetter up until she was 9 years old. I took her to a hypnotist and the problem stopped after 3 sessions. That was more than 20 years ago and she never relapsed.

HearthCricket
30-01-2009, 23:44
Bedwetting every night sounds serious. Have you had her checked out by doctors to see what the cause is, like kidney problems or diabetes? Once the prognosis is in and certain things eliminated, then you can look into natural alternatives, like hypnosis, herbs, etc. But first find the cause.

Netzach
31-01-2009, 01:23
OK, with my doctor's hat on . . .

It all depends how old she is. Children do tend to grow out of bedwetting by the age of about nine . . . but it's a long time to wait and a lot of sheet-washing to do meantime.

The most important thing is not to make her feel guilty about it, because this will cause tension which will make the problem worse.

You mention medication, which suggests that you've consulted your doctor about it. If he hasn't doesn't so, ask him to test her urine. There's unlikely to be any problem there but, just occasionally, bedwetting can be associated with a urinary tract infection.

As to non-drug treatments, there are several which work well. The first is a 'buzzer' which your doctor ought to be able to get for you (or tell you where you can get it). You put it in the bed and, as soon as it gets even slightly damp, it goes off and wakes the child up. Over a period of time, the child gets so used to waking up just as she is starting to wet the bed that, eventually, she will wake up just before . . . and in time to get to the loo.

The next treatment (which is my favourite) is hypnotherapy. However, this doesn't really work until the child is about 8 or 9 . . . old enough to co-operate. But it does work a treat for kids who are suitable. You would need to see a medical hypnotherapist and, here again, your doctor should be able to advise you.

A third option is homoeopathy. You would need to see a therapist . . . it's not a situation where you can self treat . . . and it might take a while to clear up, but it's a very safe and gentle method of treatment. And it's suitable for children of any age.

And finally, there's acupuncture. However, this isn't always suitable for children because of the 'needle' aspect. However, for kids who don't mind needles, it can work extremely well. Like homoeopathy, there's no minimum age limit. And like homoeopathy, you need to see a properly qualified therapist . . . not just a doctor who uses the therapy (and probably hasn't done a full training).

raeanne
02-02-2009, 09:42
Hello,
I had a son with this problem. There is a medication that your doctor can prescribe that works very well. However, if the child stops taking the medicine the problem returns. Unfortunately my son didnít like taking a pill. He had trouble swallowing it. We also tried the buzzer pad. It also worked but my son would undermine that as well. The doctors checked him out and he was fine. What the doctor told me was that some children just donít register the feeling of a full bladder. However, when they get to an age nearing puberty, their body begins to notice this area of their body and the bedwetting stops on its own.

LadyKathryn
02-02-2009, 23:41
OK just my two cents here... i forget her name..but there is something called the little blue book of affermations....

it's the idea that any physical ailment is caused by a psychological root.

bed wetting = fear of the father/ father figure.

This may or may not be true.... but honestly it held true for me.

I was seriously abused as an infant. but was potty trained..... then after i was adopted... i got BURNED.. it was a total accident...and i've always known that...but it was my new father who was involved in the accident.

well there went the potty training...and seriously i think i wet the bed until i was almost 12 or 13....

soooooooooooooooooo maybe hypnotherapy isn't such a bad idea afterall.

anyway...good luck...and just let your daughter know she's safe and loved and it's not a big deal that she wets. She'll feel more confident... and confidence is ALWAYS a huge assett when dealing with problems!

floracove
02-02-2009, 23:48
excuse me...

Netzach
03-02-2009, 00:21
"bed wetting = fear of the father/ father figure."

PLEASE!!!!! Fear can certainly exacerbate bedwetting but IN THE VAST MAJORITY OF CASES it is simply a physiological problem which can be dealt with using the methods I outlined above. Please do not make it sound as though fear is a factor in all, or even most, cases. It is NOT.

floracove
03-02-2009, 20:44
PLEASE!!!!! Please do not make it sound as though fear is a factor in all, or even most, cases. It is NOT.

1. I quoted someone else, although I didn't hit the quote button, because I didn't think to quote until already posting and didn't feel like waiting for dial up to do so after I started.

2. I was offering my personal experience that was very hard to do, because of my own personal experiences.

3. I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT EVERYONE! (I'm not that foolish)

4. Some child do suffer so much abuse, physically, emotionally and sexually that some of them have very little childhood memories at all.
* Unfortunately, this is where I found myself. Hardly any memories at all, good or bad. They only come in flashes when something triggers them.

5. I do believe I have the right to speak my mind or share here as well concerning any topic, whether anyone agrees to it or not.

6. If your gonna jump down someone's throat when quoting, maybe you need to read the whole thing, figure out who said what first.

7. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV or online.

8. Now that I've got that out, I'm over it.

Excuse my interruption and carry on...

Netzach
03-02-2009, 20:55
My apologies Floracove . . . I have changed the attribution in the quote.

I had, in fact, read all the posts. What worried me was the way it was expressed - not "fear of the father/ father figure = bed wetting" (which is undoubtedly true in many cases) but "bed wetting = fear of the father/ father figure".

I'm sure you can see why I felt that expressing it that way round implied that the underlying cause of bedwetting was fear of the father, rather than what I now see you intended to imply which is that fear of the father can frequently cause bedwetting.

floracove
03-02-2009, 21:12
Thank you Natchez,

fear of the father can frequently cause bedwetting.

Yes, for some individuals it can and does...

LadyKathryn
04-02-2009, 03:49
My apologies Floracove . . . I have changed the attribution in the quote.

I had, in fact, read all the posts. What worried me was the way it was expressed - not "fear of the father/ father figure = bed wetting" (which is undoubtedly true in many cases) but "bed wetting = fear of the father/ father figure".

I'm sure you can see why I felt that expressing it that way round implied that the underlying cause of bedwetting was fear of the father, rather than what I now see you intended to imply which is that fear of the father can frequently cause bedwetting.

I was quoting a book and an author...and i have found that many many many human illnesses are caused by a psychological factor. Always there are exceptions to the rules. But I was talking about the author's idea that bed wetting is caused by fear of the father. I did NOT however say that it was the direct cause of this child's bed wetting. I added my two cents and gave the poster the chance to look at it from a different angle. that is all.

P.S. I did mention that i couldn't remember the author's name..and perhaps it was lazy not to go look it up...but i did include the title of the book. I have found that MANY MANY of her ideas are correct...and Kindly...i feel that you should perhaps be a little more accepting as a medical professional before you just denounce an idea. I've had a very trying and long medical journey in this lifetime and you have no idea the kinds of experience i've picked up along the way. I am NOT a doctor...but i've HARDLY EVER been wrong when i go to my doctor about an issue. And I would think that as someone who loves tarot and believes in the amazing ability of the mind that we all share here... that you would be soooooooooooooo totally closed off to other's interpretations of medical conditions or how or where we get our information from. I do however...APPRECIATE the fact that you tout ALTERNITIVE Heath Pratices. I feel traditional medicines with old world/alternitive health pratices go hand in hand..and i wish that someday most Tradtional Doctors could have a great working relationship with Non Tradionalists.

Anyway. I felt your responce was a bit harsh...not that i can't take it... but see that I was quoting a book...and that I was simply giving her another venue to look into.

OK...nuff said...

Peaceful mind/ healthy body!

Netzach
04-02-2009, 06:11
My apologies to you, too, LadyKathryn!

I hope you realise that I was not taking issue with the fact that fear (of any sort) can cause bedwetting, just with the way it was stated.

If you had said fear of father = bedwetting I would have agreed and not made any comment.

However, you said bedwetting = fear of father and I was seriously worried that anyone with a bedwetting child who read that might start to wonder whether her child was being abused in some way, without any other indication of that being the case.

As a doctor, I have seen patients (particularly anxious mothers) who have read something that has been, shall we say, badly worded or phrased, and who have started to get alarmed needlessly. In addition, as a writer, I am probably particularly sensitive to the way things are phrased and to the meanings they may convey (whether intended or not).

LadyKathryn
04-02-2009, 06:20
It is simply the way it is worded in the book. this author condiciders this to be the root cause of the bedwetting.

it has been the case for me as well... and i honestly feel that we come in with fears and issues from past lives as well.

just my take. but i do understand where you are comming from :)

Sophie
04-02-2009, 08:11
Honey calcite is good for that. It's a very gentle stone, but effective. There are some smooth, palm-sized ones - I own one (not for bedwetting ;)) - which are excellent for massage. Massage the soles of her feet and her belly, lower belly and kidney area, for about 20 minutes. Also - put a slab of it under the mattress.

It might help :)

ETA: there are also some lovely honey calcite hearts - if she's old enough not to try and swallow it, you could also give her one as a special gift, to keep her safe and dry :love:

becrmathis
09-02-2009, 03:51
So far great ideas from my original post. I am not a panicky mom, and didn't take the original post on bewetting and fathers wrong. I appreciate all ideas.