Determining Type of Crystal

tabi

I don't do a whole lot with crystals hence my asking here to see if someone could help me.

Pook sent me a pretty silver ring with a black stone in the middle of it. I love it but can't figure out what the stone is or if it is and me being me throw away the note she attached to it. Bad habit I know, not sure if she reminders either. Unfortunately I can't do a scan or photo for you to see it personally but I can describe it to the best of my ability.

It is about a half inch in diameter, more oval then circular. Glossy finish to the point of reflective. No flaws, cracks, or chips in it. Also an enclosed back to the stone.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks Tabi

Moonbow

It could be onyx. Black onyx is popular for jewellery. Obsidian is also a smooth black stone, although variations can be found. I had a rainbow obsidian necklace for my birthday last year, but there is also snowflake obsidian.

As far as black stones for divination go, they are generally linked to the root chakra and therefore are very grounding.

tabi

I was thinking it was either an onyx or a jet stone. I have some of the snowflake obsidian which I love it's a beautiful and unique stone. I am also familar with hematite, however it doesn't have the steely color nor the mangetic thing to it. But how do you tell the different between onyx, obsidian and jet??

Truthfully the stone looks very similiar to that of the obsidian. So maybe that is what it is.