Best way to ship decks?

autumnsdaughter

I tried to search for this, but couldn't find an old thread... so I am preparing to send out several decks tomorrow, both within the US (where I am) and internationally. As this is my first time shipping tarot decks specifically, do any veterans have some advice? I want to do this right! :D

Specifically, I'm wondering about packaging- what sort of boxes, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, etc do you use? What is the best deal for the safest/fastest delivery?

Thanks all in advance!

Grizabella

I just put them into a padded mailer and mail them off. I've had great success just doing that, even overseas. You can send a deck to the UK, Portugal or elsewhere for about $3 that way by first class and it will get there within about 5 days. If you're really concerned about damage to the box, wrap it in a layer of bubble wrap but I haven't found that necessary.

I've also mailed multiple decks by taking one of the flat rate envelopes, taking the decks out of their boxes, and then just mooshing them all together out flat-ish in there. You can flatten the small boxes and stick those in, too. Of course, the recipient then has to separate the cards out into the individual decks, but if saving on postage is an issue, then it's a good way to go.

Sinduction

If doing the padded mailer, as I do, I recommend putting the whole deck in a zipper plastic bag. I once got a deck in the mail that had been ripped open by the postal machines and all the cards were loose, the deck box had opened up. So if you seal it in a bag there's a bit of extra protection.

I usually go first class mail as it gets there within 3 days. Priority is usually the same time but for more money.

I sometimes insure the packages but really only if it's an oop deck. And I rarely do delivery confirmation. But I always do the two of them together, if I do one, I do the other as well.

Basically, the smaller you pack it, the cheaper it is. I do padded mailers before I do boxes, as the price seems to at least double if I box it.

I will tell you for international, I always do the cheapest because it is so expensive. It isn't unheard of for packages to take months when shipping overseas. I had a package come to the us from the uk that took almost three months. I do believe it was inspected, it looked as if it had been opened.

So don't get scared if they aren't there right away.

Logiatrix

Priority Mail with confirmation is my preference; if I'm shipping anything OOP/HTF, I'll also spring for insurance. I've never been disappointed with Priority Mail; even with the recently raised rates, I think it's worth it. Delivery time is quick, and I want my trade partners to get their stuff fast, because I can't stand the waiting! As for the confirmation and insurance options, I simply like the peace of mind.

To pack, I usually use the Priority Mail shipping boxes that come in varying sizes, right down to those little near-deck-size numbers. When my guy gets computer parts through the mail, I have those boxes to use. If not, mailers are indeed inexpensive to buy, and I can still pack decks as securely as a sturdy box.

I did have a bad experience when I first started trading, where the deck I received came to me via a mailer, and the cards were floating loose inside. So I've learned to be sure the deck is wrapped in bubble wrap, plastic wrap or at least tissue - whatever will keep the flaps closed without putting tape right on the deck box.

It's important to me that nothing moves around or rattles in the package once it's closed, so I like oodles of bubble wrap around my outgoing decks. Oh, and plenty of packing tape on the outside. I'm talking lots and LOTS of tape. Basically, when I ship decks, they tend to be hermetically sealed and prepped for an all-weather survival trek.

It's not even remotely necessary to go so over-the-top like I do, but even if I ever stopped going mad with the packing tape and bubble wrap, I'd still ship via Priority Mail.:)

Abrac

Hmmm...it's hard to say exactly what the right way is as this can be so different from case to case. As a rule of thumb, whatever gets it there fast, securely and at the least expense is the way to go. As far as packaging goes, if I'm in doubt I like to err on the side of caution.

For international I get a lot of requests for secure packaging. You will have to go to the Post Office and fill out a customs form for each international order so make sure you cross all your Ts and dot all your Is so it doesn't get slowed down in customs. First Class Mail International is how I usually send mine. It normally takes about 10 days, give or take. Insurance isn't offered with that option but as the price goes up so dramatically from there I've never had anyone complain, nor has anything been lost or damaged (keeping fingers crossed! :laugh:).

The US Postal Service has been changing things so fast lately it's hard to keep up. When I first started selling stuff through the mail I had lots of questions and called my local Post Office but soon discovered that wasn't necessarily the best option. The USPS Web Site is a pretty good place to get answers if you don't mind wading through a lot of garbage to get the good stuff.

Le Fanu

Hey autumns daughter, Ive just packed up your Mystical Lenormand and did the following!;

Wrapped deck in brown paper (no real protection, it just makes it feel more like a pressie!) Then bubble wrap! I then put I inside a small plastic bag. Just in case it sits in customs next to a broken bottle of olive oil or something! Then I put the whole package inside a bubble wrap envelope. But I think to be honest, just generous bubble wrap and inside bubble/wrap envelope or a box is fine. I also send registered. You never know.

From this side, trades from the US always arrive quicker than I expect, but the secret is to always exchange pms with your trading partners to say when it has been sent or when it arrived. They usually arrive within 7 working days to and from Europe, I find. Within the US it must be quicker...

BodhiSeed

Sinduction said:
If doing the padded mailer, as I do, I recommend putting the whole deck in a zipper plastic bag. I once got a deck in the mail that had been ripped open by the postal machines and all the cards were loose, the deck box had opened up. So if you seal it in a bag there's a bit of extra protection.
I had this happen to me with a hard to find deck. The mailer was a flat-rate envelope, and the cards were loose inside. The mailer was ripped in several places, but luckily none of the cards had slipped out. I've also had soggy packages (from rainstorms) delivered, so I always try to wrap what I send in plastic or Ziploc bags.
I too prefer to use Priority shipping and tracking (just for my peace of mind).
Overseas, I pack well but ship with the most affordable rates.

tarotmama

Just a heads up for those who "spring" for insurance. I got a (gift) package once of antique crystal candle holders that had been basically smashed to bits and the sender had paid for insurance.

When I tried to file a claim though, the Post Office wanted all kinds of receipts and documentation about what the items were worth and in the end, the person who sent them to me just ended up sending me a different gift because it was such a pain!

If you're sending OOP or HTF decks with insurance, might want to include a note that documents exactly how much the deck is worth -- like a receipt. And also keep a copy for yourself in case the whole package gets lost.

gregory

You don't say where you are - but in the US they do NOT qualify for media mail. Not even if there's a book in there as well.

There's a thread about this which Jeannette of tarotgarden recently updated.

HearthCricket

I always use a box so the decks don't get banged up, but I also usually tuck in other goodies, like incense, bags, crystals, etc. I put in bubble wrap or those styrofoam peanuts from other packages I have received, or both, then put the decks and other goodies in ziplock bags so they are extra protected and cannot get wet in any way.

I ship with insurance and tracking, both here in the US and abroad. I like to see its progress and even though it is more expensive, I feel it is worth it since I have proof that my package reached the person's home, whether it is a gift, exchange or sale. I recently sent out a package to Germany. It cost 33.00 for express mail, but she got it in a week and it passed through customs quickly, even though they did open it and sniff the incense!! Costly, yes, but I still think it is worth it.