PDA

View Full Version : thread movement

lunalafey
04-02-2003, 00:57
Recient events at AT have me thinking.
One of the ways I make it through life is by thinking....no problems..only solutions.
There was a problem for a member when a thread got moved to where it could only be seen by subscribers. There has been much disscusion about this situation and how it could have been avoided, what's fair and what's not. Everyone had a valid view point.
From all things disscussed (even to get more members to subscribe) here is an idea....For threads that get started in a members only section yet belong in a subscriber only section....could there be an area of transition? where these threads remain viewable to all for a short period of time(say 10 days?) and then get moved to the proper section? This could boost subscriptions by having a thread that people want to see, get into what it's saying and if they want to continue to follow....subscribe....but if a thread get's moved suddenly then who's to know??? sure the thread starter get's a PM...but the rest of the members(not subscribers) get lost......
some one mentioned teething problems....and it's kinda like wrinkles....this could smooth things out for the future as well as help AT.

Osher
04-02-2003, 04:52
Yes, that is an excellent idea, one which I believe was tried out the other day. I think it better, as else one is searching for a thread which one cannot see

Pollux
04-02-2003, 04:53
That's a good one Luna! :)

I just want to add one thing: personally I think there's no need for a new section for transition, we could simply institute that as a new procedure to follow in such cases: the moderator(s) could post a notification that the thread, in say... one week gets moved to the subscriber section where it would belong.

Let's see what others say - :)

SherryZoned
04-02-2003, 05:43
The problem I have with this..is even if it gets moved..after a week..everyone will have been able to see it..which is fine..but then what is the point of the subscribers section? this way will also start many discussions knowingly not put into the right thread..I think maybe 24 hrs..Would be more suitable.

lunalafey
04-02-2003, 07:41
perhaps 10 days is too much, but 24 hours seems to short. If a non-subie creates a thread on Sunday and then does not get back to it until Tuesday, then it's like before...a seemingly dissapearing thread. I think the idea of a NOTICE OF MOVEMENT added to the thread would work.
MAYBE......a flag?....we have colored envelopes expressing new and popular threads and posts, what if a flag graphic expresses that this post will soon be moved to the proper section. Maybe it can even be 'activated' when the thread's author has returned to see responses, yet has a 'all view' life cap of...?...days...hours????
The benifit of a seperate section....
containment...and it makes it obvious that there is a whole other world for subies.
I'm not sure about that wrong section on purpose thing....something I had not considered....good one redwood.
If we just keep brain-storming, I'm sure we can come up with something to make it 'easier & kinder' to all, as well as help Solandia

SherryZoned
04-02-2003, 10:21
I think the flag is a good idea Luna!! Well I woul keep it relatively short...2 days..sorry if they dont get back on..the flag and a pm to the author of the thread..

Diana
04-02-2003, 19:13
Suggestions are now open to all members. So the business brought up in Ophiel's thread is now solved once and for all.

Only SACT, Chat and a Subscribers Your Readings section are left in the Subscriber section. (and the Archives.)

If someone posts in Using Tarot Cards, or in the Historical or Iconographical Forum, a post such as "What colour do you think I should choose for my new car?" (caricature, but I have had twice threads of this kind which were just dumped there because the person didn't know where to put them - one of which was posted in the Historical section! ), I don't think that that kind of thread belongs in a forum that is designed for Tarot questions, and to which people go in order to read Tarot issues. And even two days is too long. I'm not saying that it is not a valid question, but its place is in Chat. (Or should it be shoved off to Divination because it has to do with choosing a colour for a car?).

I fear that if any kind of thread is allowed to be posted anywhere, then some people (not many, I admit) will just end up using the Talking Tarot forum (and possibly a couple of the other forums) as a dumping ground, even just for two days. (Ophiel's thread was not an "any kind of thread", by the way. It was valid, which was why the moderators and Solandia spent a long time trying to solve this when we saw what was behind all the frustration.)

If something obviously non-Tarot gets posted in one of the forums I co-moderate, the person will be informed that this thread is being moved to Chat. I will ask them if they prefer it to be deleted, IF they are not a subscriber.

(Moderators don't know who subscribe or not, I wish to remind you all.)

No-one needs to subscribe. But it would be great if non-subscribers just stick to the forums (the majority and the ESSENCE of Aeclectic) to which they have access.

patter
04-02-2003, 20:55
I think I may be a person who started an offedning thread. It was not about my car, it was about how my screen name reflected my use of tarot -- in the hope of learning the tarot basis of other screen names I see around. I did think about whether this really was 'tarot talk' and decided it was, no contravening of forum guidelines was intended.

I suggest that you might have replied to my email query about why I couldn't access this thread to see any of the replies -- at least to explain the reason why -- I also suggest that the ensuing discussion might have involved me and other non-subscribers at any earlier stage than this?

I currently make monthly donations to two other sites, the reason I chose, after a trial period of some months, to subscribe to them was that they engaged with me and talked things through. Neither of these sites has a 'subscribers only' area I just felt that it was time to give something back. I think a subscribers area is a fairly good idea, but how can I tell whether I want in?

wavebreaker
04-02-2003, 20:59
Originally posted by patter
I think a subscribers area is a fairly good idea, but how can I tell whether I want in? One of the recent changes to the forum is that non-subscribers can now see which forums are subscriber-only, so you can see what you get when you subscribe. You should be able to see them on the forum's index page (http://www.tarotforum.net), in the Subscribers section.

patter
04-02-2003, 21:02
thanks -- I think that is a great idea. Show us what we're missing

patter
04-02-2003, 21:09
-- ignore me, I found it

[Sorry to be a dunce, but I am lookign for info on how to suscribe, cost etc -- I know I saw it one before but now I can't find it? You have got me thinking that I seem to be hanging here a lot and it might be time to start contributing $]

wavebreaker
04-02-2003, 21:35
Great idea, patter! ;)

There's a link at the top on the index page, which will take you to this page (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/subscribe.html). You'll find all the information you need there!
(You need to click on the "Sign up now" link for the payment information.)

Diana
04-02-2003, 21:38
Originally posted by patter
I think I may be a person who started an offedning thread. (..........)
I suggest that you might have replied to my email query about why I couldn't access this thread to see any of the replies -- at least to explain the reason why -- I also suggest that the ensuing discussion might have involved me and other non-subscribers at any earlier stage than this?

Patter, the only offending threads that exist on Aeclectic are those that are insulting to others. Even as a moderator, I sometimes don't know where to post something, so I post it where I think it is best, and leave it up to the moderator concerned to decide, as that's their job. Your thread on screen names was a great one (in fact, in the archives, there is a similar thread and I recall it was just as enjoyable as yours.)

Will people please understand that just because their threads or posts get moved, or if moderators decide to merge two similar threads, or split two threads that have become two different topics, it's not because the posts or threads are offending, but because the boards need some kind of organisation. Otherwise, what's the point of having different forums? Why not just have one big massive one called "The Aeclectic Tarot Forum". Punkt. (I'm obviously not being serious here, just a little weary.)

I remember about six months ago, looking in desperation for a thread that I couldn't find with the "Search" function, because the Search function came up with about 400 or so threads that I didn't feel like going through, and I eventually found it in the "wrong" forum, as someone had neglected to move it. I remember thinking "darn, no wonder I couldn't find it."

As to your e-mail enquiry, it is indeed odd that no-one replied to you, and I suspect that your e-mail did not get to the moderators concerned, as I am pretty sure that all e-mails sent to moderators get a response. Did you send it at the time that the worldwide internet virus was going around a couple of weeks ago that affected many people's computers?

As to suggesting that the ensuing discussion involve people at an earlier stage, I think that this episode is behind us, the moderators took the whole ensuing discussion very seriously, Solandia heard your and our pleas, and we cannot turn back the clock, but we can be grateful that the clock is still ticking and that it has received a service from the expert watchmaker.

patter
04-02-2003, 22:19
fair enuf. I certainly would not want to whine about such a great forum -- I only wish I had found it earlier!

Demonesse
05-02-2003, 02:34
How about a Chat forum for non subscribers? The Chat forum for subscribers would be more "exclusive", naturally...

wavebreaker
05-02-2003, 09:03
Originally posted by Demonesse
How about a Chat forum for non subscribers? The Chat forum for subscribers would be more "exclusive", naturally... The subscriber-only Chat forum has nothing to do with "exclusiveness". There used to be a Chat forum that was open for all members, but it was restricted because it was very busy and it was taking up too many resources as compared to the tarot-related forums.

As has been said before: maintaining this forum costs a lot of time, money and effort. A decision was made to use the available resources mainly for the tarot-related parts of the forum and to leave those areas of the forum open to anyone. The Chat forum was restricted to subscribers only, so it wouldn't use as much resources as before.

Osher
05-02-2003, 10:01
Although I am (not yet) a subscriber (I will be very soon), I agree that certain parts must be kept exclusive. I thank Solandia for the way it has been done, i.e. the tighter topics are open to all on the internet, but the more community based topics (especially chat) are restricted to those who are committed enough to pay the (small amount) needed.

As for how much, a rough calculation makes it around the same as 1 can of Diet Coke a week, which is not bad value for money!

I think too that the idea of allowing all users to at least comment on the running of the forum is an excellent idea, i.e. this suggestions forum.

Demonesse
06-02-2003, 03:36
When I stated "exclusive" I meant more private and restricted, as naturally only subscribers would have access to their Chat forum. If resources is the only problem, perhaps we could have a Chat forum, then, where new threads are restricted to a certain number per day/week?

I don't think that certain parts "must" be kept exclusive, but service-wise, it does indeed offer an incentive to Aeclectic-holics to subscribe. Under no circumstances do I think non-subscribers are "owed" anything, Aeclectic is great even without access to subscriber-only areas, but I would like to point out that the subscription fee is not at all "a small amount" for those not living in the US, UK, etc - the exchange rate is a killer. This does not reflect our level of commitment to Aeclectic.

firemaiden
06-02-2003, 05:42
re: "what you get" if you are a subscriber...to be honest, I subscribed because I was desperate to joing the SACT. :D
However, now that I have subscribed, I am proud to be a subscriber, and think that I should have done so, with or without the SACT ... because I spend sooooooooooooooooooooo much time on this forum...I am beginning to think I would die without it...

Solandia
11-02-2003, 22:37
The suggestions for dealing with the issue of moving threads to subscriber forums have been creative. After considering the feasibility of the various options... in future, where threads are off-topic and need to be moved to a subscriber-only area, the thread originator will be contacted vi email or PM at least 24 hours before their thread is moved.

~ Solandia

Demonesse
12-02-2003, 00:41
But then the rest of us wouldn't know...

Couldn't a temporary post/sticky be put up by a moderator of that forum to let the rest know the thread would be removed and then deleted after the thread is moved?

Pollux
12-02-2003, 00:49
Demonesse, moderators can always leave a re-direct that shows the thread was moved.
I think adding psts on posts would make it really fussy and uselessly clumbersome... Also, I believe members can discern if a thread was moved due to irrelevace with the section topic if they took part in it.
Pming the whole of the contributors and posting about moved threads would make the moderating duties very heavy and undo the presences of the moderating devices of help in the Forum software.

Demonesse
12-02-2003, 02:47
"Also, I believe members can discern if a thread was moved due to irrelevace with the section topic if they took part in it."

AFTER it has been moved, yes.

Obviously you're not going to PM all the contributors - and that is exactly my point. Why just inform the starter/contributors and not the readers? You don't have to contribute to a thread to enjoy reading it. Recently, Umbrae moved a thread and I appreciated his post (in that same thread) that informed he was going to move it within the stipulated time, even though I did not contribute to it.

wavebreaker
12-02-2003, 03:26
Originally posted by Demonesse
Recently, Umbrae moved a thread and I appreciated his post (in that same thread) that informed he was going to move it within the stipulated time, even though I did not contribute to it. I think following Umbrae's example would be a good way to solve this in the future. ;)