Tarot cloth instructions?

LavenderLibra

Hello all,

I'd like to make a tarot cloth of some sort. Any recommendations on size, or anything else you can think of?

(I tried a search, it kept coming up some kind of error, but I did find lots of links on bags...just not the cloth for laying out a spread).

LavenderLibra

Cat*

To get a good size for a spread cloth, I'd suggest laying out some cards of the size of spread (and deck!) you normally use and measure that (both sides, that is across from left to right and from top to bottom, as these may be different). Then I'd take the larger measurement, add an inch or two on both sides and -- ta-dah! you have the measurements for a spread cloth the size you need. :) (Seam allowances would have to be added, too, of course.)

Grizabella

It's really a matter of personal preference. I have several sizes. I even have a wonderful table-sized cloth I got in the last Halloween exchange. You might want to do the same, so you'll have cloths for any deck and any occasion. You can match them to decks if you want that touch in your readings. I do have one to use especially with my VR Gold that's done like a Victorian crazy quilt with lots of embroidery and beadwork. I'm going to back it with black fabric to do the actual readings on. Like Cat* said, measure the size of your favorite cards and spreads and make the cloth to accommodate that. There are no "musts" in Tarot, just suggestions.

LavenderLibra

Thanks, those are some great ideas. I have found some sites with some absolutely beautiful cloths & bags...a couple where they had them match up to individual decks. (It really makes me miss my sewing machine!).

canid

I like to go to thrift stores & get silk scarves for bags & cloths. It's hard to find decent looking 'real' silk in our local fabric stores, although there's plenty of the fake stuff. I've gotten quite a collection going & if you like the quilted look, you could sew a few different patterns together. You'd need to line it if you do that so the raw seams don't show. I've found some really beautiful scarves for just 99 cents each; I like to drape them over a lampshade for the ambiance. I just love the feel of silk!

Cat*

Grizabella said:
I do have one to use especially with my VR Gold that's done like a Victorian crazy quilt with lots of embroidery and beadwork. I'm going to back it with black fabric to do the actual readings on.
Wow, that sounds wonderful (and like a lot of work)! Please, can we see it when it's finished?

Sulis

The cloths I make are double sided. One side is plain cotton or silk and the other side is patterned cotton or cotton velvet. I make them like pillow cases or cushion covers and then do a top stitch all the way around the edge when the cloth is turned the right way around. The top stitch closes the opening left to turn the cloth the right way around and also makes the cloth sit properly.
I do 2 sizes - the regular size is 56cm x 56cm or 22inches x 22 incches and the large size is 66cm x 66cm or 26 inches x 26 inches.

You can just about get a Celtic Cross spread on the regular size with a standard sized deck.

Grizabella

Cat* said:
Wow, that sounds wonderful (and like a lot of work)! Please, can we see it when it's finished?

Yes, I'll have my daughter take a good picture for me and send it to me when I'm finished. I think AJ has just about given up on me ever getting it done. I always have so many other things going on.

The important thing about a spread cloth is that it be pleasing to you, presentable to whoever you read for on it, and that it have one side that doesn't conflict with the cards. Plain fabric is best on that side, in my opinion, and I personally prefer dark colors because the cards stand out so well and clearly.