PDA

View Full Version : Readings Wanted

Osher
05-02-2003, 09:01
Would a readings wanted (and a readings offered) section be a practical proposition? I know it against the rules at present, but maybe it could be tried out for an experiment?

Aerin
10-02-2003, 18:45
Readings exchange would seem to fulfil that role? Or am I missing something?

The only thing that is not allowed is free readings being given without that being part of some kind of exchange. Reason being, we would get people on here who were just after a free reading and who were not otherwise interested in or studying Tarot.

There's been a fair amount of discussion in the past, as a result Readings Exchange was set up I remember.

Aerin

Osher
10-02-2003, 22:41
I know we can post if we wish to offer a reading, I was just fishing for views on people being able to start a thread asking for a reading...

Aerin
11-02-2003, 01:38
I think this is to stop the problem of non-Tarot readers asking for free readings, and the hope is that there are always people looking to practice that you can reply to?

I think.

Aerin

Osher
11-02-2003, 01:42
As I understand, you cannot ask for a reading, just respond when someone offers a reading.

Diana
11-02-2003, 01:54
Happiness: This is right. You cannot ask for a reading - only take up an offer if there is one available, if you have made the required amount of posts.

The Reading Exchange was set up originally for Aeclectic members to practice their reading skills on other members, and it compliments very well the Your Readings section.

A forum for Readings Wanted would not be appropriate, because as it has been pointed out, this will attract people who just want free readings - a kind of free Tarot phone-line - and will detract from the main purpose of these forums which is to study Tarot for one's own personal development.

Sterlyn
11-02-2003, 03:01
If I understand Happiness's question it's about the fact that there are not many readings being offered. I know I've been looking for one (had to wait for my 25 posts) and they get snapped up really quickly. I understand your concern about the free psychic hotline thing. Is there a way to tactfully (and within the rules) say I'm really interested in a reading, anyone care to use me as a guinea pig?
But then maybe some of us newbie chickens (like myself) need to be offering readings so the pool of people willing to do readings gets larger. I'm not sure what I would have to offer someone that a gave a reading for at this (infancy) stage of my learning tarot.
Happiness, I liked your question, it would be nice if we could find a way to incorporate it.

trh

Osher
11-02-2003, 05:12
Yet, even as a reader I find that sometimes I have to wait a week for any fish to grab the bait. I do like to read, but it can be frustrating, therefore knowing who would like a reading would be useful.

I understand that we cannot be a free tarot line. Maybe you can only ask when you hit, say 100 ?

Pollux
11-02-2003, 05:53
Theredhead: I understand your point with needing a reading, and please don't take this that I say in a bad way or anything - but the original purpose was the practice, as Diana pointed out already. This still remains the first focus (even though I admit there's a sort of striving! LOL) and therefore bear certain consequences to keep things manageable.
Also, Aeclectic is not the only site related to tarot, and there's a big list of places you could try to have a reading - some are free and some are for charge.
Maybe a list would be helpful?
What is more, some of our very own members (plugging plug LOL) have set up their own sites and would be willing to help. I am certain they would never refuse to provide assistance! ;)

Happiness: I don't like the idea of a new set rule like that.
An example, and I hope I am not wrong *LOL*
1) The Avatars were only available for Citizens.
2) Lots of people and new members wanted avatars
3) they got their own avatars by... posting a lot, and sometimes cluttering up.
Maybe the example doesn't work cos the Avatars are still for Citizen on, and I don't know actually right now...
It doesn't take much to find something to post about in these boards. I would be very sorry if hordes of new members would join just because once you are at 100 you can ask for your free readings and sneak away. Anyway this mostly falls in the cathegory of personal preferences... ;) *LOL*

Aerin
11-02-2003, 05:57
Originally posted by theredhead
But then maybe some of us newbie chickens (like myself) need to be offering readings so the pool of people willing to do readings gets larger. I'm not sure what I would have to offer someone that a gave a reading for at this (infancy) stage of my learning tarot.
trh

That's the whole point of the forum, to practice. Often the newer at something someone is, the fresher the approach they can bring. The point isn't to offer full professional experienced readings, but to have a go and see what happens. If someone wants a mega experienced reader, they can go and find one. Also, the person you read for can bring their own interpretations to the cards and that way you both learn something.

That's my opinion anyway.

Aerin

Kaz
11-02-2003, 09:39
alternative for getting someone to read for you is post your own spread on the issue in "your readings", there are always people assisting with interpretations.

~kaz

Sterlyn
11-02-2003, 10:15
Absolutely no offense taken, I can see all points here. Maybe one of these days I'll get brave enough to offer a reading, people are pretty understanding. But Happiness if you offer a reading, I intende to jump on it. Last time I checked no one was offering one that wasn't taken, I missed the last one because I didn't have enough posts.

trh

Osher
11-02-2003, 10:33
Yes, I see the point. I started this thread to see how this idea would pan out, but it seems that it is a bit of a non starter. Ah well, at least we have a concensous, and where would we be if ideas and suggestions were not aired and discussed?

angelwhispers
12-02-2003, 04:04
Originally posted by Kaz
alternative for getting someone to read for you is post your own spread on the issue in "your readings", there are always people assisting with interpretations.

~kaz

Hope this isn't off topic, I know this is about adding a Readings Wanted section but I just wanted to respond to the above quote as a new person to these boards....I posted one of my spreads in the "your readings" section and only ended up getting 1 interpretation to my spread. I was very disappointed by that, I was hoping to get some insightful feedback from at least a couple different people so I could have a fresh perspective on things. I'm not sure if others thought the subject dull or if it was because I was new that others didn't respond. I haven't posted any of my readings since, especially since it took a lot for me to put that first one out there with my own interpretations in it. Just wanted to let you know how one newbie feels. :)

SherryZoned
12-02-2003, 04:12
Angelwhispers....It is not no one wants to interpret...just there is only so much time in a day for stuff...and some of us need to layout the cards to interpret..and cant because of children or animals...It is nothing personal.

Pollux
12-02-2003, 18:23
Yep Angelwhispers, I agree with Redwood! :)

I am not the moddy of those sections, but I have noticed - ever since LOL - that Marion and Meewah (the two moddies) always post their feedback in the thread. :)

Probably there were many other threads they had to reply to and couldn't reply to yours. We are not online all day, and in the amount of online time devoted to the Forum moderators try to do as much as they can. :)
Did you post it a long time ago? If not, I am sure that with a bit of patience and tolerance you'll get the feedback you want.

(Not to mention the bunchof other members that always contribute in that section, like LouiQ, Alex, Thirteen and so on! Just wait a bit! :))

Aerin
12-02-2003, 18:59
Angelwhispers - it could be that people read the interpretation and felt that they had nothing else to add. I've done that before now.

It can take me an hour to look at a spread, and when I'm busy then I don't visit that section of the forum. Really, nothing personal.

Aerin x

angelwhispers
12-02-2003, 22:31
I understand completely that people have a life outside these forums and being busy throughout the day and I took that into consideration. I tried not to take it personally and I know I shouldn't have. :)
It was almost like little Ralpie in "A Christmas Story" who waited and waited for his little orphan annie decoder ring to arrive in the mail because he just couldn't wait any longer to find out what the secret message was, and when it finally arrived all the message said was "Drink your Ovaltine".
After much debate about signing up for these forums after I saw how many other tarot forums were, I was just like a kid, that's all....all excited about telling my stories too, especially since there is no one else I know that practices tarot or believes in the paranormal...etc.

Oh and I think Pollux you asked when I posted the message, it was 3 weeks ago. :)

Sterlyn
12-02-2003, 22:46
Angelwhispers, :(
I am sorry that no one responded, don't feel ignored, I have posted threads that got no reply for a while. If thats the case I just get on and make more noise. With a sign on like Anglewhispers (LOVE that) you may not be the pushy," HEY IS ANYONE GOING TO TALK TO ME OR WHAT?" type. I am. PLease give it another try and give us a chance. I have only been here about 3 weeks myself, so I don't think I saw your post.
Give it another whirl.

regards,
trh

Aerin
13-02-2003, 01:47
A semi aside:

Something else has just occured to me that you may find helpful, Barnes and Noble University run a course on Tarot for Beginners (I've just taken it). People on it range from absolute beginners to fairly experienced yet not confident/ wanting to learn more. It's really good, and you get some reading practice there as well as input for your own readings. It is based on Joan Bunning's book, also available online at http://www.learntarot.com .

Have a look on http://www.barnesandnobleuniversity.com under Life Improvement courses.

There is a session starting up in March that you can sign up for (I've signed up for a second time, as I want to do the last few Lessons and excercises more thoroughly).

Aerin

ps glad to know I'm not the only person who can sometimes feel sad when not replied to, please don't feel bad - ther's an old reading of mine on there somewhere that was never responded to.

Sterlyn
13-02-2003, 02:14
:D :D :D
Aerin,
Thank you for posting this!! I have been looking for something like this. Had no idea B&N had courses. I just signed up. A question do you use the RW Deck? I have one never used it at the moment I use Robin Wood. Did you use RW for the course?

Thanks again

trh

Aerin
13-02-2003, 04:07
Originally posted by theredhead
:D :D :D
Aerin,
Thank you for posting this!! I have been looking for something like this. Had no idea B&N had courses. I just signed up. A question do you use the RW Deck? I have one never used it at the moment I use Robin Wood. Did you use RW for the course?

Thanks again

trh

Glad you like it :D

I use the Universal Waite for the course and for learning with (pretty coloured version of R-W), the R-W-C and recoloured variants do make good learning and reference decks since so many books and courses refer to R-W-C. I have an original R-W-C as well, the colours aren't that nice although I'm told that every colour is chosen for its symbolism which I guess you lose with a recoloured deck. (Still prefer the Universal though, you can see more detail on the drawings.)

I believe that the Robin Wood meanings don't divert too much from the R-W-C deck (maybe someone else can comment, or go and have a look at the decks forum ther's lots on it in there). The learntarot.com site has the card images if you want to compare and contrast. You could probably use those for the course, and your deck for readings if you didn't want to splash out on a new deck.

(Thinks. How could anyone not want a new deck ;)?)

Aerin

Sterlyn
13-02-2003, 04:21
I had to look to see what i actually have, I have the Rider-Waite, hope no one will be offended when i say, BLAH not appealing at all. I know its a classic and all, I originally got it because its its the deck never even took it out of the box.
Guess I'll look up the unviversal Waite, and order that along with my book. and maybe a good excuse to get one of those other decks I've been wanting, you know saves on shipping lol.

thanks,
from a soon to be deck-aholic

trh

P.S. and please those who love RW don't take any offense, it just doesn't do anything for me.

angelwhispers
13-02-2003, 08:02
originally posted by Aerin
ps glad to know I'm not the only person who can sometimes feel sad when not replied to, please don't feel bad - ther's an old reading of mine on there somewhere that was never responded to.

Aerin, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that felt sad about that. I haven't given up on these forums. I'm going to stick around and still contribute my two cents for what its worth :) .
As for the B&N class on tarot, I took that last year. I thought it was very informative.

MeeWah
13-02-2003, 08:45
Angelwhispers: I rarely get to this forum, & happened to see this thread. Posting a throw does not guarantee a number of responses, which varies with each thread regardless of the subject. Whilst moderators are responsible for reading every current thread on their forums, they respond at their discretion as 'tis not always necessary nor possible to respond to every thread personally. In Your Readings, the amount of time required to interpret would prevent same.

Receiving one response is still better than none :) If there is a particular card where more clarification is desired, ye can also post an inquiry on the card in Using Tarot Cards; also refer to Thirteen's Tarot Basics, which is an excellent resource here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/basics/index.html

Your interest in Aeclectic is appreciated & we hope ye continue to enjoy the forums.

pozt
17-02-2003, 14:03
Originally posted by Aerin

The only thing that is not allowed is free readings being given without that being part of some kind of exchange. Reason being, we would get people on here who were just after a free reading and who were not otherwise interested in or studying Tarot.

Aerin

I quite agree with this. Sometimes I do readings for others (who have just gotten past the 25 posts requirement), and they don't return the favour, which is alright with me, but makes me feel they're only here for the free stuff.