scarf rituals

hunter

Do any of you have rituals for the scarf you tie your cards in?

I read on old post where someone pointed the corners north, south, east and west.

Any other ideas? Do you use any special knots?

AJ

I tie mine under my chin when it's raining...

welcome to AT!

Lilija

Mine should, I kind of wish I did, but the poor thing keeps falling off the shelf, or sliding onto the floor. It's rather abused. I keep it clean, though.

Mine's not quite a scarf, though, it's an unhemmed silk cloth that covers my whole reading area, it's a little too huge to just wrap a deck in. I've tried using smaller, more normal ones, but they're never enough space. One card from my Thoth, or Druidcraft is the size of some of these tiny reading scarves I see floating around, heh.

Raindance

I say, "Thanks, cards! I had fun."

nisaba

I have a rainbow sarong that I try not to ever wash as my table-cover, which never gets wrapped around a deck, but folded carefully along its old fold-lines. Each deck has a watered-silk square scarf about 50-70cm along each side (70cm for preference). When I wrap, I lay the deck diagonally across the very corner of one, fold the tiny triangle up, roll the deck once, flap one side up to double with the other side, roll the deck once more and flap back so that the deck has even thickness, then keep flipping in that second direction until I have a long deck-width tail hanging, then I wrap that around the little bundle until just the end is looks, and push that end under the wrap so that it all holds together. I like to have nice silks for my decks, and I'm fussy about colour (it can be any colour, but the tone has to be right). I have a few velvet bags (beggars can't be choosers) but they're second-best, and are used for less favourite decks. A few sad specimens are in their original packaging, either because I haven't found good silks for them yet, or because the decks aren't significant enough to me to be worth a major hunt for a silk.

tigerlily

nisaba said:
I have a rainbow sarong that I try not to ever wash as my table-cover, which never gets wrapped around a deck, but folded carefully along its old fold-lines. Each deck has a watered-silk square scarf about 50-70cm along each side (70cm for preference). When I wrap, I lay the deck diagonally across the very corner of one, fold the tiny triangle up, roll the deck once, flap one side up to double with the other side, roll the deck once more and flap back so that the deck has even thickness, then keep flipping in that second direction until I have a long deck-width tail hanging, then I wrap that around the little bundle until just the end is looks, and push that end under the wrap so that it all holds together.

:bugeyed:

Can you post a video on youtube?

hunter

Thanks for the welcome :)

And the tips! I don't think I understand the sarong tie though.

Annabelle

Only a couple of my decks are wrapped in silk scarves; the majority are still in their original boxes, or in bags. I don't have any rituals involved with my various tarot wraps/containers. Well, dealing with the scarf-wrapped decks does involve a bit of cursing under my breath at times, as silk is really slippery :).

nisaba

tigerlily said:
:bugeyed:

Can you post a video on youtube?
Um ... no. I don't do moving pictures, I'm firmly set in the stone ages, sorry.

tigerlily

All right, but some pictures would really help... I tried to wrap a deck going step by step with your description, but I couldn't get it right. And silk is so slippery - one reason I never used a reading cloth.

Now velvet on the other hand...