This will show how little I know about tarot...

psychicpsycho(:

I hope this isnt already a thread, I am new to tarot and was just wondering what type of materials could be placed under the cards while doing readings? I was origianally going to use possibly tibetan prayers flags I got while in New York but it would be a shame to take it apart so to cover the whole spead.

Sinduction

You can place anything you want underneath. I use spread cloths or just a table cloth, sometimes nothing at all if the surface is clean.

It's all up to you what you'd prefer.

Welcome to the AT and welcome to the wonderful world of tarot! :D

Alta

Clean surface for sure! Anything and any colour or design that is pleasing and focusing for you, or is strongly meaningful if you wish.

Don't get too bogged down in details, focus on the querent, the question and the cards, but surroundings have their own aesthetic and can be comforting.

Aurelious

I've been known to use a sham-wow. As long as it doesn't distract you/querent or clash with the images and make it hard to read, you can use bout anything.

Marcia959

It's funny, but I kind of like the readings I get when I place them on a wood surface. So that got me thinking: I'm a fire sign, fire is wands, wands are, well often in decks they are wood. Air could be glass surface. Earth could be tile. So I was good right up until water and I just can't ruin a deck of cards by reading in the bathtub! But what about water-colored silk or other cloth?

Too much caffeine today, ya' think?

Le Fanu

Yes, Ive had the "pleasant wood" experience too! Nice to have nothing whatsoever underneath the cards. I got this with an antique wooden tray I have been using recently. Nice to feel the cards on genuinely old wood...

Whatever´s best for you!

Netzach

I think the most important thing (apart from using a clean surface) is to have either a plain colour or a fairly subtle pattern. If you use a cloth with a jazzy pattern, it can be very distracting while you're trying to read.

Sinduction

There has been talk of reading with the Transparent Tarot while one is in the bathtub! :D

Onyx

Sinduction said:
There has been talk of reading with the Transparent Tarot while one is in the bathtub! :D

I figure the "Bubble Bath" spread would be perfect! HA!

I finally broke down and got the Transparent a couple of weeks ago and using the white reading cloth has got me considering getting more for my other decks.

Seems to me that I will have the image of the TT card resting on top of foamy white bubbles for the rest of the evening!

Onyx.

Storm82

welcome
(and dont feel bad for asking, there is no stupid questions!)

I have a black cloth (velvet), the cards keeps clean and the colors shows very well on the black......

do what you feel best.

if you want you cards to be clean (and last longer) only do spreads on clean surface