Sun/Star, Moon, Ascending signs

jrr01

I don't know if this has been coverd, But can anyone tell me the difference between the 3 of them? I know, if im not incorrect that my signs are this

Sun/Star: Capriorn
Moon: Virgo
Ascending: Taurus

Anyon cares to explain? thanks in advance

Stormdancer

Thanks for the link White raven, but it seems WAY to experienced for someone of my astrological calibur.

My sun sign is Taurus
My moon sign is Gemini
My asc is Capricorn

My understanding is that my sun sign is the core of me. I fit pretty well with the Taurus stuff...Very much can tell that Earth is dominant in my personality, but I could never figure out why Taurus just didn't explain me all the way, until I figured out my asc....My understanding (which is VERY limited) is that the asc is more the face I put on to the world...almost how others see me...kinda?

This fits very well and explains how I felt kinda Taurus but not...

I am still confused my what my moon sign means, but since that sign is a Gemini...could just be 2 halves struggling....LOL. I "think" the moon sign is more about my emotional/intellectual state

If this is right, It fits cause I am definately "air" in my head..way WAY too much air...thoughts that swirl like a whirlwind, never stopping too long in anyplace. And since the rest of me is earth my mind drives my-earthy-self nuts....'splains alot...LOL

Astrology is SO fascinating, but so very complicated for me to understand.

I had a chart done at Astrodeinst...and some of my "houses" are empty...

Now, what is up with THAT??? Are those dead zones...??? LOL

Stormdancer

Minderwiz

That's a good summary.

Sun sign is your basic inner self,your will, your essential being.

Ascendant is your projection into the real world. Not just how you are perceived by others but also the first house tells us something about your physical body - the vessel in which you sail through life.

The Moon sign is your intuitive, non-rational, reactive side. It indicates how you instinctively react to situations, how you nurture and protect the people things you love.

These three though do not give your whole character or temperament, the positions of the other planets and your Mid Heaven (the zenith of your chart), together with the house placements of the Sun, Moon and planets (and their signs) are needed to give a rounded picture.

The Asc/Sun/Moon does give a better view of a person than the simple Sun sign approach. However you need to know their place and time of birth to establish the Ascendant and the Moon is also comparatively sensitive to time, shifting position noticeably during a day. The lack of that information leaves us with only the Sun Sign to go on. Hence the use of Sun Signs in most newspaper and magazine 'horoscope' columns.

Amashelle

stormdancer339 said:
I had a chart done at Astrodeinst...and some of my "houses" are empty...

Now, what is up with THAT??? Are those dead zones...??? LOL

Stormdancer

Not at all, Stormdancer! More than half of my houses are 'empty houses' but this does not mean that they don't still influence your life: just that their emphasis is less prominent. From what I can gather, the best way to interpret 'empty' houses is to look at the houses on either side, and if those are empty too (as in mine) you can look at the position of the planets and signs that are ruled by those houses to determine what's going on in those areas of your life, not to mention the star sign(s) that are within the house's influence, though that level of interpretation can wait until you've learned more about how it all comes together.

My advice would be to get one of those books that shows you how to make and interpret your own chart, as they are usualy laid out in a way that you can work your way through from the more obvious influences (like the position of the sun and moon) through the the more minute ones, like the aspects of the planets to each other. That's how I've been learning.

Minderwiz

Each House describes an area of your life. It is not necessary to have a planet in a house and indeed it is impossible to have all houses with planets in them (12 houses 10 planets).

Each house is ruled by a planet, the planet which rules the sign on the cusp of the house. Thus if your fifth house has Leo on the cusp it is ruled by the Sun and Solar energy will be exhibited in the way in which you approach 5th House matters, such as children, romance, sport and leisure activities.

If there is a planet in the fifth, then this will modify the way in which you approach 5th house activities, both through it's nature and sign (the 5th might stretch into Virgo).

Thus if the 5th also contained Saturn, there would be a more rigid and formal approach than if it were not there. Saturn in Leo is debilitated, so this would not be a particularly helpful trait, too much concentration on the rules of the game and not enough pure display of the self.

Obviously, aspects between Saturn and other planets will introduce further modifications.

There is some debate within the tradition as to which is most important for the affairs of the house, ruler or tenant. The mainstream view was the ruler, but the 17th Century Astrologer, J B Morin, said tenant. Morin's view seems to be the main view now, but that doesn't mean the issue is still not a real one.

I only use the tradition rulers and ignore the outer planets for this exercise. That's because there is no real theory behind the use of the outer planets as rulers, they've sort of been grafted on. Even those who do use them recognise them as co-rulers, so it's easier to keep to the traditional 7 planets.

Only use the outers if there is a clear message that cannot be deduced from the traditionals.

Stormdancer

Minderwiz said:
Each House describes an area of your life. It is not necessary to have a planet in a house and indeed it is impossible to have all houses with planets in them (12 houses 10 planets).

*slaps forehead* well DUH!! That never even occured to me...LOL

Thanks for taking the time to explain this in a way I can kinda grasp. I'll stop now, though 'cause I think I've pulled this thread off topic

Stormdancer