Yod orb?

Gooneybird

I have been trying to figure out whether or not I actually have a double yod in my chart. I have a chart from astrodienst and have been trying to puzzle out alignments on and off over the past year. Pluto and Moon are outlined as conjunct, as well as both sextile Neptune, but the Moon is not listed as quincunx to Mars, nor is pluto quincunx to Venus. The little green quincunx lines that are actually shown on my chart make a near perfect see-saw/fat tepee shape, which is what made me look closer. How would most astrologers see it (as opposed to the electric chart software)?

I did some math, and the quincunx between for example, Mars and Pluto are 148 degrees (and listed as quincunx), while Mars and Moon are 153. Still close to the ideal 150 quincunx angle, right? How exactly is "orb" defined in cases of yods?

Yod 1:

Neptune sextile Pluto quincunx Mars

Neptune 3 degrees Capricorn, 8th house
Pluto 3 degrees Scorpio, 6th house
Mars 5 degrees Gemini, 1st house

Possible Yod 2?:

Mars sextile Venus quincunx Pluto and/or Moon (Mars listed as Q pluto, Venus listed Q Moon, Moon conjunct Pluto)

Moon 8 degrees Scorpio, 6th house
Venus 7 degrees Aries, 11/12th house cusp

Can anyone help puzzle this out?

Minderwiz

Sadly orbs are a matter of personal taste and 'most' astrologers will have some variations on what they will use. Thus 153 degrees will be treated as quincunx by some but not others.

Rather than look for mathematical proof (because short of exact, there is none) look to see if you have REAL evidence of the Yod at work. That is not wishful thinking but something that you can point your finger at. If so, then treat your chart as having a yod.

Personally, I don't tend to make much of aspect patterns, at most they add a little bit more detail to a framework that is already established. In other words having a Yod does not fundamentally change the way in which your chart would be interpreted but it might well add some additional detail.

Of course that depends on the orbs allowed for deciding whether your quincunx aspects hold but then a quincunx is a minor aspect (despite some who claim it is major) - it does add more information but is not a fundamental determinant of who you are.

Gooneybird

Thanks for your reply. I figured it might be less about the math. Now I suppose I need to figure out what exactly such a yod would mean in my chart. LOL. I still haven't quite grasped the yod concept, probably because I am still not sure about some of the more obvious aspects.

back to the drawing board to ponder...

Minderwiz

In that case forget the yod, at least for the time being. Go back to the basics, with planet, sign, house, in that order, and look at any major aspects between them and between them and the Ascendant and MC.

Once you feel happy that you understand those, then you can introduce minor aspects, the quincunx being the first that you try. Follow that with semi-squares and semi-sextiles. To be honest, going beyond that may involve significantly diminishing returns, less information gained for more effort expended. If you keep to very tight orbs, then you will only concentrate on the minors that are likely to have significance.

I only use minors if I want a detailed analysis in depth, unless there is one which is exact or virtually exact. Otherwise I end up with pages and pages of analysis and find it difficult to seperate the wood from the trees.