cloth for spreads

Lysh

I had a cloth I used (white) when I used my tarot cards. I feel it is time for a new one...the energy in that cloth just does not feel the same. What are some thoughts on spread cloths? Does anyone notice a difference if the cloth is another color other than white? I saw some pretty red, or blue cloths I liked. One more question.....does anyone have a recommendation of a good site to order from?
Lysh

Morwenna

I've never used white; the cloths I've used so far have been green, lavender, dark brown; and I just bought some blue cotton fabric that I haven't hemmed yet. I just use what I like and what's handy.

rosebud_a320

Like Morwenna if I see some material I like I hem and make my own cloth.
Lately I have been making myself a matching cloth and Tarot bag and like to wrap my cards in the cloth then slot them into the bag.

What I do look for is a material that is nice to touch, but that's just me oh and that it does not scrunch up as you turn the cards over.
As to colour...whatever shows my cards off!
A purple cloth is especially good for making the Haindl card backs stand out, the yellow eyes seem to become 3D and at Christmas I made a lovely burnashed red cloth for a backdrop to Kat Black's Golden Tarot, it really showed off the Gold edging.

Alpha-Omega those silk cloths are beautiful!

swimming in tarot

I use whatever clean surface is handy that makes that particular deck look good. I'm the sort of person who doesn't buy something if she can make do. I'll use a blanket, towel, pillowcase, or plain wooden table, so long as there is nothing on the same surface to distract from the cards. Scarves would probably work well, too. Be creative!

Le Fanu

I have a huge hemmed black velvet spreadcloth, maybe 2 metres square. Id never even thought of issues of energy.

For me, what matters is that the cards show up well (and black is great for this), nothing fussy to distract me and that the cards are easy to pick up off the fabric.

raheli

I change my cloths when I get "sick of looking at it"
I have some large satin cloths in crimson and teal for parties where larger coverings are required.
Also i have smaller cloths from 30 x 50cm upwards for carrying with cards or use on my smaller tarot table at home.
I love to layer the cloths and always end up with a multi coloured look.
One important thing is I have a cushiony style loth that goes underneath to give me a surface with a little give - as I dislike thin cloths over very hard tables. This is just a few layers of felt sewn together.

As has been said the important thing is that the cards stand out and are easy to use off the cloth, no use having a cloth that it is too difficult to turn the cards on!

If you are worried about energies in any object do a simple cleansing with sage or just hang it on the clothesline under the moonlight.

Logiatrix

Lysh said:
I had a cloth I used (white) when I used my tarot cards. I feel it is time for a new one...the energy in that cloth just does not feel the same. What are some thoughts on spread cloths?
I've used a variety of textiles as spreadcloths. I like cloths that I can also use to wrap and secure the cards inside the tarot bag. Some spreadcloths I've used over the years are bandanas, ladies scarves, fabric dinner napkins, and squares of lace. And also, of course, I've had a few actual tarot cloths here and there.;)
Lysh said:
Does anyone notice a difference if the cloth is another color other than white? I saw some pretty red, or blue cloths I liked. One more question.....does anyone have a recommendation of a good site to order from?
I prefer white and other light-colored fabrics for decks with dark borders. Conversely, for white or light-colored borders, I prefer black (or other dark) fabrics. The point is, I find that a contrast between the cards and the background they lay on is very helpful for viewing the spread.

Tarot Totes sells spreadcloths that I can eagerly recommend from experience. I also see people offer bags and cloths in the trade forums once in a while. There are a great many here who wield an expert needle and then sell their wares, as well.
:)

Lysh

Thanks for the information. For some reason I was stuck on the idea that my spread cloth should be white, yet I love colors. I never thought of having a colored cloth that would contrast the cards so I can 'see' the spread better. I will keep that in mind! I personally do not have a knack for sewing or sewing machines, so I will check out the few sites mentioned. Thanks again!
Lysh

Sheri

Tarot Sulis makes fantastic bags and cloths as well. I have several of them and they are great!

She does custom sizes and colors, and all her bags/cloths are lined.

http://www.tarotsulis.co.uk

:love: Sheri