Lisbon occultism; an amazing discovery!

Le Fanu

Don´t know if this is the right place, but...

Ive just made the most amazing discovery I had to share. Ive been living in Lisbon for years and just discovered, quite by chance that the main square - which I pass through often - was constructed in the 18th Century using the structure of the tarot. I came across this description about the square in a tourist guide, which I have translated below.

The square is called "Terreiro do Paço", built in the latter half of the 18th Century,and can be seen here:

here is a historic engraving of the square. Third picture scrolling down

here is a photo taken recently of the back part of the square,

R. - O Livro de Tarot é, como se sabe, constituído por 78 cartas ou lâminas, pertencendo as primeiras 22 lâminas aos Arcanos Maiores, ou Esotéricos, e as restantes 56 aos chamados Arcanos Menores, ou Exotéricos. Existe uma intencionalidade na própria arcaria do Terreiro do Paço ultrapassando, sem dúvida, a sua função estrutural da sua arquitectura. Os edifícios laterais contêm 28 arcos cada um, cuja soma total é de 56 arcos, ou Arcanos Menores. Na fachada principal, entre as Ruas do Ouro e da Prata, contamos, por outro lado, 22 arcos, 11 em cada direcção, a partir da Rua Augusta. Ora 22 arcos correspondem, exactamente, ao número dos 22 Arcanos Maiores ou Iniciáticos. Se aplicarmos a cada arco o arcano que lhe corresponde, possuímos a chave interpretativa de um ciclo completo de manifestação: relativamente aos 56 arcos, a manifestação profana, e quanto aos 22 arcos frontais, entre as Rua do Ouro e da Prata, a realização oculta.

The Tarot, as is well-known, consists of 78 cards; 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana. There was an intention behind the construction of the arches on the "Terreiro do Paço" to incorporate these numbers which goes quite beyond a purely structural, architectural principle. The buildings at each side of the square contain 28 arches each; totalling 56, which correspond to the number of the Minor Arcana. In addition, along the main façade, between the Rua ("street") do Ouro and the Rua da Prata there are 22 arches, 11 on each side starting from the Rua Augusta (can be seen in ths 2nd photo I posted). These 22 arches corrrespond exactly to the Major Arcana. If we apply an Arcana to each arch we have the complete cycle.

Bizarre...

Any idea what it feels like to know a city like the back of your hand and then discover something like this? I wonder if Aleister Crowley knew. He visited Lisbon and stayed in a hotel which has a bar I sometimes visit...

ana luisa

Muitíssimo interessante. Me pergunto se a escolha do próprio local do Terreio do Paço também não tenha alguma razão, digamos esotérica ...

Veeeeeeery interesting. I wonder if the place chosen fo this specific construction also has esoteric connotations...

cardlady22

Could you post the dates it was constructed and the latitude/longitude specs, please?!

Le Fanu

cardlady22 said:
Could you post the dates it was constructed and the latitude/longitude specs, please?!

It was constructed after the earthquake which destroyed Lisbon (and got it a mention in Voltaire´s novel Candide) in 1755. It measures 180m X 200m (36,000 square metres). It is one of the largest squares in Europe and ever since the 16th century was the main square for those who arrived by sea. It was used throughout the inquisition for public executions and even after being destroyed by an earthquake, then tsunami, was reconstructed, this time with the 78 arches around 3 sides of the square (the square is open to the River Tagus) Also of interest is that on the right side of the square was the Royal Palace with a huge library; all 70,000 volumes lost in the earthquake, so it has always had connotations, shall we say, of learning.

I knew that the reconstruction of the city was based on certain "enlightenment" principles , but this is news to me...

ETA; I don´t know of this is latitude/longitude, but; 38degrees 42` N 09degrees 08` 0... can´t find the symbols for degrees etc!

SolSionnach

Wow. That is really fascinating.

I remember the time in 2000 that I was in Koln (don't know how to umlaut), discovering that there were three huge stained glass windows of the ZODIAC. I have pics somewhere, remind me and I'll attempt to post them.

Cerulean

1755! wowie!!

How lovely--would love to hear if you unearth tarot decks that pay tribute to the plan and contruction of tarot...I wonder why I haven't heard of Portuguese tarot, only the more common playing cards...hope to hear more!

Le Fanu

Cerulean said:
How lovely--would love to hear if you unearth tarot decks that pay tribute to the plan and contruction of tarot...I wonder why I haven't heard of Portuguese tarot, only the more common playing cards...hope to hear more!

The Portuguese - as you know, Cerulean - were quite important movers in gaming cards, the links with Japan and Macau etc, but the only Portuguese tarot which has made it into Kaplan and become part of the tarot "canon" is this one

Also, a little known fact is that Aleister Crowley spent time here and had a long correspondence with a Portuguese modernist poet who was also an occultist. Crowley spent time in Lisbon and even faked his own suicide here. A bit of a scandal in the local papers here at the time. The city has recently managed to prevent an export order on the whole Crowley correspondence of his time in Lisbon, which went up for auction a couple of months ago. But this, of course, isn´t the Lisbon of this arched square, but a more recent Lisbon...

Cerulean

An Etteilla style Book of Thoth

That tarot follows an Etteilla style Book of Thoth, more similar to my Lismon and one of the early Grimauds circa
19OO's...neat to hear also about Crowley and poetic Portuguese connections.

Thanks!

Sophos

Le Fanu said:
Also, a little known fact is that Aleister Crowley spent time here and had a long correspondence with a Portuguese modernist poet who was also an occultist. ]

Would the poet be Fernando Pessoa? He was also into astrology. Marques de Pombal, who was responsible for most of the building of the ‘Baixa de Lisboa’ and other main areas, had connections with ‘Mansonaria’ (Freemasonry), as still some important portuguese people do (quite secretive though), if i'm not mistaken.
So, as an example, the directions of the buildings were studied, like many churches were built with the altar to the rising Sun and so on.
There is actually lots of secrets surrounding the old Lisboa.
All the best and keep us updated with your findings please.

moderndayruth

Ok, Lisbon added to my 'must visit places' list... :D
Thanks for sharing the pictures and info, Le Fanu, it is fascinating indeed!
I had a (sort of) similar "discovery" in Sofia, where 's that cathedral i walked by daily -that's for couple of years- and i haven't noticed something amazing untill other people pointed that out to me... Anyway, its not Tarot-related and is totally OT, so i won't go into detail here, but i know "what it feels like to know a city like the back of your hand and then ..." ;)
From one side its a blessing to live in such cities, but, from the other side, one goes like "hello, did i really pass by this wonder without actually noticing it?! :confused: :D