The RIGHT deck?

Alison

Not quite sure how to explain this, but do you have a deck that is just right? Even if you don't particularly care for its pictures or anything. I am thinking of a deck that just always provides relevant cards, rather than being one you can just read well or easily.

In another thread i was talking about jumping cards and it happened again. A man had sent me some messages very late in the night. I asked the cards what he wanted and before i had a chance to lay them out, three cards had jumped during my shuffle - 2 of Cups, The Lovers and Knight of Wands. I thought hey hey, I know your game, and sure enough through the messaging, his interests became more apparent.

I have decks that i like a lot to look at but sometimes i have to really sit and think about how the cards relate to my situation (sometimes not connecting) but i also have this old rws deck which is about 20 years old i think and for some reason it just always chucks the right and relevant cards at me. It makes me laugh because i cant believe how spot on it is. I wouldn't probably choose it as the most beautiful deck but in terms of trusting cards, i would pick it up first. The funny thing is that I have another couple of rws decks and they don't have the same affect.

Alison

nisaba

I find all decks, even ones I'm not really okay with, will give you appropriate cards once you've spent some time with them.

The deck that is "just right" for me is what I refer to in my own terminology as my comfort deck. Before I met it, I had used the RW in a couple of its reincarnations, the Mythic, the SOL, and the Jonathan Dee deck, and all of them except the SOL (which was great for in-depth meditations) read well for me. Some I liked better than the others - I think out of that group, the Mythic was my favourite but I had a sentimental attachment to the RW because I had taught myself on it.

Then I discovered my comfort deck.

Wow. Basic artwork, not all that appealing.

"key words" arranged around the image, which initially I found rather insulting, implying I didn't know my meanings. I've got used to them, and I simply don't see them any more.

But hell-on-wheels, it worked! I bought it only out of a misguided sense of patriotism: the name of my country was in its title, so I bought it sight unseen. But over a very short period of time I realised that it cut right to the heart of things - all things. I realised it was designed to work in the real world. I realised it was the product of a rational, hard-hitting and kindly mind. And I realised I loved it to bits.

I also realised it would never be reprinted - it didn't seem to have the kind of universal impact that would have it going into edition after edition - so as soon as I could, I went back and bought up the shop' entire stock. I think I got hold of either six or seven decks all up. That was fifteen or so years ago. It's still my number one, and routinely lives in my bag, year in year out. It's the acknowledged monarch of all my other decks, and even the most arrogant of them never rebel - they love it too much. The Temperance card answers to my need to be mothered (I've never been mothered). Of hte repeat decks I picked up, over teh years I allowed the odd special person to talk me into giving them one. I kept a second one for myself, strictly in reserve, for when my original faded or wore out or had an accident. It's still sealed, because fifteen years later, my original copy is still as fresh as the day I unsealed it, not worn at all.

Now, THAT is a comfort-deck!

Sagefire

I have just a few decks in my collection, and I've been happy reading with most of them through the years, but I do know what you're talking about. There is a certain deck that had images I was very drawn to, but reading with them was not quite as fun. Conversely, a deck I was only mildly attracted to, and then was given to me as a surprise gift, has become my regular. I love the images, and it just feels pleasant to read with. It seems we all have our preferences, even on a subconscious level. :D:D

Mike Valentine

I will always like my first deck (The Gilded Tarot) deck as my favorite. I can tell the meanings instantly, and, although it's a little beat up it still reads great and reliably.

Wendywu

Ironwing. I've never pulled a card that wasn't right for me and didn't make sense to me. When I'm not actually reading with the deck I can look at the cards and my mind drifts down so many different avenues and possibilities - the cards are full of potential. But if I'm reading them I get definite suggestions, ideas and information. It's an amazing deck - very powerful, very dignified (sometimes), gentle and chiming (I know what I mean by that but it's hard to explain) - it's not necessarily pretty but it is striking. I never even liked it to start with.. but Ironwing informed me that I am to study the deck until I am told I am done. I have no idea when that will be but I really don't care. This deck is a whole world.

Carla

Nisaba, that was a great tribute to your 'comfort deck.' What is the name of the deck??

Wendywu, I think I will remember for life that you and Ironwing are one! I've read so many of your love letters to Ironwing here! :) I bet it's out of print, isn't it?

canid

Carla said:
Nisaba, that was a great tribute to your 'comfort deck.' What is the name of the deck??

Oh, can I tell please? Lemme!

I've thought I found *my* deck a few times. Now I understand that there isn't any one deck that's *mine*. Sure, I have a handful of favorites that I use for very specific reasons, but I don't know if *my* deck even exists, even if I created it myself.

Wendywu

Carla said:
Wendywu, ...... I bet it's out of print, isn't it?

Yes, I'm afraid it is - sorry ......

Carla

Wendywu said:
Yes, I'm afraid it is - sorry ......

That's okay! I've looked at images online. I connect better with earthier decks, I think. I'm still very new at this, but that seems to be the case for me so far. :)

OctoberGwen

I feel like my 'right' deck right now is the Deviant Moon, but I don't read much yet and I expect this may change as I gain more experience with more decks. I see it continuing to be a 'go to' deck, though.

It felt familiar, somehow, the moment I took it out of the box. It speaks very clearly to me.