Can it be-I found 'my' deck?

canid

I've felt this way before, but right now I really think the Robin Wood is it. It's been on my wish list, but I was hesitant because of whatever dead animal resides on the Magician's head (& that's typically the card advertised) is so not me. But I'm really connecting to this deck. I'm re-reading Mary Greer's Tarot Reversals, meditating on each card, & it's like I never cracked open the book before.

Question: how many times have you thought the same thing? Is it going to be never-ending?

Le Fanu

O I love the Magican in this deck. Best card in the deck! He really sparkles...

I don´t buy into the myth of "the deck". It is a marketing ploy. I feel varying intensity with different decks.. It doesn´t have to be THE deck for me to be able to read with it. Plus I change. You change. We all change. No deck is going to satisfy us forever and ever. Unless we don´t change of course...

I know people will immediately post saying "Ive been reading with the - whatever deck - for 50 years and it has never failed me!" But surely one does go off and experiment, have a break, come back to a deck, go off it, come back again 10 years later and so on...

I have favourites, but I flit like nobody´s business. Yet for the moment, the Thoth - the meaty, substantial, terrifying Thoth - is holding my attention.

But I wouldn´t say it was THE deck...

THE deck is always the one in the post.

MysticalMoose

Will we ever find THE ONE?

I have thought this a few times with various decks :) I think I have found "MY" Oracle Deck (Graven Images)... with Tarot tho, there are a handful that I know I have a special connection with & will probably always use. DruidCraft, Morgan Greer, BB Cats.... but I don't really feel an exclusive deep emotional connection with them....Recently tho my tastes have changed quite dramatically for some reason. I got the Bohemian Gothic & I think that started it I felt so at home in the darker images with all the stone architecture & suchlike & felt that I could study & work with it well & maybe ...was this THE ONE???....I still love it....but something stopped it being the one...:rolleyes:...This week I got the Vargo Gothic & to me it's soul stirringly beautiful & it hit something deep inside me that I havent ever felt with a deck before....is this THE ONE???....*sigh* only time will tell I suppose :)

B :love:

superfrogsavestokyo

I don't think that there could be one deck for me.
When I was younger, I thought that the original RWS deck was the one.
Now I find that different decks have different feels, and that each are appropriate for different reads.

For example, The Manga Tarot is my deck for everyday life, and tarot games.
The Tarot of Reflections is too angsty for everyday stuff, but it's perfect for readings pertaining to the other angsty force in my life- my boyfriend.
The Afro-Brazilian Tarot is great for self esteem building and indulging the shy side of me to be more vibrant.
While the Tarot of the Secret Forest is perfect for times of pure meditation.

Though, I recently got the Robin Wood Tarot and we're connecting like something crazy. lol I guess this deck is really friendly. I consider different decks showing a part of my personality that I can visually see, if that makes
sense. A further expression of me in a way...

Or that could be the little consumerist in me that says "Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh," whenever I see a promising recruit in the Tarot section. lol :)

edited to correct some grammatical errors

canid

superfrogsavestokyo said:
Though, I recently got the Robin Wood Tarot and we're connecting like something crazy.

See, see what I mean? 15 yrs ago I thought it was the Hanson-Roberts, then Moon Garden....but it hasn't stopped! When will it end?

swimming in tarot

When LeFanu says that the notion of "the one" deck is a marketing ploy, beware! This individual admits to having gobulations of decks--a walking victim of the polydeckist marketing ploy! :D

superfrogsavestokyo

canid said:
See, see what I mean? 15 yrs ago I thought it was the Hanson-Roberts, then Moon Garden....but it hasn't stopped! When will it end?

I just settled on the "different aspects of my life/personality" purchases because I feel as though if I search for "The One", I will literally have over a couple of hundred within a couple of years. ;)
(Still I'm still questing for the perfect deck that encompasses all of my "personas" so to speak.

At least with the personality thing, I know certain decks probably wouldn't flow well with my "personas".

I guess it won't end until you stop changing as a person. Which is probably
never. :) Don't worry though, there are plenty others in the same camp. :)

Le Fanu

swimming in tarot said:
When LeFanu says that the notion of "the one" deck is a marketing ploy, beware! This individual admits to having gobulations of decks--a walking victim of the polydeckist marketing ploy! :D

aahhh, but so many of these were bought before shopping and tacky marketing ploys became de rigeur ... I bought lots of mine before the plethora of decks we see nowadays :)

I bought them, in fact, through sheer love of their beauty :angel:

And for the record, what I meant was not that having one deck was a marketing ploy (how could it be? Quite the opposite in fact! :D), but this EL Dorado search for THE deck was! If we´re not panting breathlessly over a deck, in raptures 24 hours a day, then it must mean it isn´t THE deck. So we ought to buy another one! :D

Grigori

I've found "my deck" and known if for a few years. But I still buy new decks, so it hasn't saved me a penny. Maybe I now spend more than before :laugh: Those marketing folks must be real clever ;)

I say it doesn't matter if your deck is the one or not, just as long as Tarot Garden has a sale going })

cardlady22

This makes it sound like searching for a "soul mate" or husband/wife/partner. Kind of odd. I prefer to see each deck as a friend I am going to visit. We enjoy the time we get to spend together, but realize that sometimes there are other things that need to be done. No jealousy. No accusations.
:grin: