This might be in completely the wrong forum, but input about wooden tarot boxes pls!

SkadisPhoenix

I went into town today, as I was running out of art supplies, and I picked up a "beginners acrylic art kit", because I can NEVER have too much art, there was a drawing pencil, sharpener, palette knife, palette, rubber AND two mini pieces of card included. I wasn't, however, particularly bothered about the box, I figured it was just a plastic box, because it was too cheap, I'd felt, to be a wooden box.

Imagine my pleasure, when I discovered a beautiful wooden box, painted dark blue. I took everything out, and tested: You can fit a tarot deck (in a cloth/organza bag/cardboard box) with it's companion book in there, with room to spare for the cloth on top, and even some stones! Alternatively, maybe put three different tarot decks in there. :D Brilliant I thought. However, there is one thing. It's too plain for my liking. It's that deep midnight blue colour, but it needs MORE, if that makes sense.

So after much waffling, I come to the crux of the matter. What sort of designs would people want on a tarot box like this, would they want to have it left plain, or have the word "TAROT" on the top, maybe a unicorn, or a fairie, maybe flowers or a celtic knot instead.

It's just sitting there next to me begging to be decorated, and I'd be interested in how other people would decorate this beauty.

nisaba

Transparent glue and lots and lots and lots of glitter.

Glitter is mystical and will make you wise, you know. That's why children use of much of it.

SkadisPhoenix

I LOVE using glitter. I've been doing some art for a friend's child, and had a request for glitter. I had to admit that I'd already been using it! :p I have glitter "paints", which are really useful, for like when I'm painting fairy wings (lots of friends with kids, especially girls), I use rainbow glitter on the wings and I tend to use copper or rainbow glitter on the hair too.

nisaba

I was thinking a deep blue box probably doesn't need any ornamentation. But what the hell, if you've got to do it, do it properly. And that means glitter.

SkadisPhoenix

See, it's a bit too plain how it is, in my opinion. It's just needing that little extra "something". If that makes sense. :)

Mateo06

I think putting the word TAROT on it would be to easy. Put the suits, one on each side of the box, and maybe the Roman numeral of your favorite Major on the Top.

Sinduction

If it's blue, I'd do a sun, moon, stars thing.... with lots of glitter.

Have fun with whatever you decide. :D

Chronata

yeah...I'm with Sin...

A big ol' celestial Moon motif...and lots of sparkly stars....:D

I am sure it will be beautiful!

Grizabella

Uhh, did anyone say glitter??? Lots and lots and lots of glitter! There's an acrylic paint you can get that, when you paint it on, all kinds of little tiny flecks of glitter show up. I use it to paint over Sculpey faces I make in push molds to bead around. It's not as blatant as great big flecks of glitter. It's a lot more subtle but it's really ethereal looking. I love it! That and a moon and some stars would look awesome!

Tansey Ella

I have two old cigar boxes, one King Edward and the other El-roi-tan. The cigar boxes are about 50 years old and I am repairing them for use . They are just wonderful for the cards. I also have a long rectangle box with a little dutch girl on it. I do not know how old it is, but I bought it a very long time ago, sometime most likely in the 70's/80's (at a garage sale) I also buy boxes at the used book store. They often sell craft kits and the boxes they come in are just adoreable. I bought 3 just the other day made of very sturdy cardboard, for just $1 each. The childrens section or any section that has crafts in it will have some cute boxes. I also found an erotic memory game in a cute box. I bought it just for the box. I also found some small decorative boxes at the dollar store, they will hold card the size of the contemplative tarot. I can't
put a cards with a box in them but will hold the loose cards.