When reading for other people

edie605

I am fairly new to tarot and mostly do readings for myself. They are pretty accurate but i would not know this is i was reading for someone else.When you do readings for other people do they have to shuffle the deck themselves? What are some methods you guys use when reading for other people?

Gennai

Hi Edie,
I do phone readings. Usually I shuffle the deck and then lay them face down on my table, and then I select a number of cards that I am drawn to. Sometimes I then use a spread, or fan the cards I draw, or sometimes if I've chosen 9 cards, I'll lay them out in 3x3. What has recently fascinated me is watching a few tv psychics who draw a card and then lay them down in an adhoc circle, piling more cards on top.

Alta

Using a spread, that is with positional meanings, helps keep you oriented. Fewer things to worry you when uncertain.

Jyscal

If the person is physically in my presence, i prefer for them to shuffle the deck, and choose the cards themselves, although sometimes if it's someone new i'd rather do it myself as i'm not sure how they would handle the deck. If i'm reading for someone who is'nt, i like to have some sort of connection open, like on the phone, internet etc, and try and focus on and try pick up and make a connection to their energy while i'm shuffling and laying out the cards. This way i can focus on their question, and still mabye pick up one or two other things that may be an unknown factor or something else that's on the back of their minds. If the situation allows, i'll try explain the different spreads i feel comfortable with and then to start off with have them choose one that they think sounds interesting, or if they're not sure or insist i choose, it would be one that best suits the question.

Annabelle

It depends on a lot of variables.

Some querents will just reach for the cards naturally. Some will shy away.

Sometimes I'm carrying around a well-worn deck for the purpose of doing readings (and thus having the querent shuffle is no big deal), and other times I'm showing my collection to a guest and they are looking at one of my $$$ decks and suddenly ask if I'd mind reading for them (with that deck).

Most of the time, in most circumstances, I'll shuffle and then hand the deck to the querent for them to cut . . . and yes, I do typically ask them to use their left hand, cut into 3 piles, reassemble the piles, etc. A bit of ceremony goes a long way.

But sometimes I'll demonstrate how to shuffle the cards and then hand the deck to the querent to continue shuffling.

Every moment in time is different. Every reading is different.

Edited to add:
Ah, and I agree with Alta. When you are a newbie at reading for others, definitely have a small spread or two memorized (past/present/future and a 5 card horseshoe do nicely). Having a structure for the reading can help you relax and focus.

Edited again to add something that just occurred to me:
One "newbie" mistake I've heard of many people making is creating TOO MUCH atmosphere . . . putting too much importance on the props. Forget about the props. Don't light special candles, or set out tons of polished stones, etc. That stuff doesn't matter, really. And it will make you nervous when you are a newbie . . . you'll feel suddenly as if you are on a stage in the spotlights. Remember, the reading is about the querent, not about you. All you need to read is a reasonably clean surface and a deck of cards.

Moonbow

Hi edie

Its really up to you whether you want anyone else to handle your deck. I don't mind, but some people are very particular over who touches their deck. It also depends on whether you are reading for others as a business (which means your deck will get handled allot) or for pleasure/just friends.

I also wouldn't worry about your readings being accurate, just read. Work hard on getting to know your deck well. If you worry about accuracy you may over compensate and not say what comes to you from the cards. Your job is to tell what you see in the cards.

Also, have a look at the Indexes here in Using Tarot Cards, especially All About Reading, it will take a while to pick out some threads and read through them but there is a world of valuable information for people new to Tarot.

Sophie

With people who are first-time tarot querents, I talk a little, I explain what I do and the limits of tarot as I practice it; we might talk about a situation they want to look at, if there is one - I'll just let them give me the bare bones if they want to talk about it, or I will ask them if they want me to concentrate on an area of their life.

I show them how to shuffle, then let them suffle and cut themselves, then pick their own cards.

I tend to see readings as three way conversations - between the cards, reader and querent. My aim is that at the end of the reading, the querent gets up feeling that something has settled in their mind and they have a better view of their situation/general life than they had before. We do look at the future - because I do fortune-telling - but it's not always the most important part of a reading. Some people want to know the future, some would rather discuss the present and how to make things better in the here and now. Some people use tarot readings as an opportunity to brainstorm or to talk through a problem, or offload. Some want to understand the underpinnings of their lives. It varies.

When I was starting out and for quite some years, I logged every single reading I did for others - date, question, deck, positions, cards drawn. That way I could learn from my readings, see where I'd gone wrong, and also follow the progress of my repeat querents.

Aurelious

I live in "The Bible Belt" so when someone is interested I like to tell them their soul is not eternally damned for talking to me, blah blah.

I like to give a bit of information for new querents before we begin. A small-basic history of tarot and the limitations I use (I stray away from medical questions unless they insist, then I let them know I'm not a professional and should be seen by a professional, but a little insight couldn't hurt ^^)

I read in a quiet (except on the nights I read there, then loud jazz is playing. Go figure.) cafe that sells various teas and coffee's and very overpriced salad and sandwiches. I just sit and shuffle my cards while waiting for someone to bite. I have a Doodle-Pro (the magnetic writing board kids use) designed by my fiancee "Free tarot Readings" and a small set of pamphlets custom-designed about tarot, bit more history and what and why I read. No incense, no stones, just me, a table, my deck and my walking cane.

Due to location, I try not to mystify it any more than I can help it since these things are often the cause of un-nice words and fear. I strive 100% to give tarot readers a better name than those who would dirty and cheapen our art.

Don't be nervous, learn a couple spreads (no CC, just some simple 3,5, MAYBE 7 card spreads and go with it.)

My staple is the 3 card MultiSpread (PPF, Mind Body soul, choice A, Decision, Choice B...whatever I want them to be in the context of the question.)

5 card horseshow (Past, Present, Unexpected, near future, far future)
5 card General spread (Present, Present Desire, Unexpected, near future, outcome)
7 card horseshow (2 for past, 3 for Present, 2 for Future)

There are plenty of others written in my notebook for special questions and occasions, so those aren't the only ones. But they work for me. You need to find what will work for you and that will take you a long way.

edie605

Thanks to everyone that responded. I was just wondering this because i did a reading for my mom once and i shuffled the deck, the cards didn't make sense to her or the situation we were asking about. I made her shuffle the deck and i laid the spread. The spread made sense and was quite accurate.

I will try some of the spreads you guys mentioned and check out those links so i can learn how to read the cards better.

KSPisces

For me, it depends on how "in tune" I'm feeling with the other person.

If I'm totally feeling their vibe, I will do the shuffling and let them cut.

If I'm not getting a good feel for them at all, or if I feel like they are trying to hide something from me (either by choice or because they aren't ready to deal with it themselves) I will have them shuffle and cut.

I carry two decks with me at all times. :)