Hexagrams & Tarot

cardlady22

I'm not sure which thread this convoluted question is going to fit . . .

Last year, I set up a tentative plan to switch through my various tarot and oracle things as the signs and seasons change. I'm having a blast!

Right now I'm waiting on the Feng Shui Tarot and book. I have a couple of books and decks on the I Ching. (of course, there are the variants of spelling which may be contributing to my Search problems!)

Anyway, I'd like to see some schemes/frameworks for how people have assigned a hexagram to a particular tarot card. Simple number thoughts have me considering:
64 - 8 = 56, matches the Minors
*the 8 taken out, where the top & bottom trigrams match, might be viewed similar to the Majors?

Please inundate me with books and links!!! I like to stew in it until I feel like a little white raisin! :grin:

Briar Rose

How do you like working with this deck? I have an incomplete deck (for scrap booking and stuff).

What kind of deck do you think it is? How would you describe it? How does the book read? What does it tell you?

Is it on the lines of the Osho or very different?

cardlady22

Feng Shui Tarot

:grin: Yes, it's your inclusion of the Red Phoenix: Queen (trigram- Earth) and the White Tiger: King (trigram- Heaven) that tipped the scales on getting a copy!

I don't have the FST deck and book yet, but I'll be keeping your questions in mind when they arrive.

8 "elements" over 4 suits; early musings: 2 per tarot suit, but how will they be mixed top vs. bottom?

As far as the Osho Zen, I don't have that one. Not really drawn to the art, but I'll zip by the card scan sites for comparison.

cardlady22

Crowley Thoth

rachelcat said:
The Courts are rank trigram over suit trigram:

Knights = Thunder
Queens = Lake
Princes = Wind
Princesses = Mountain

Wands = Thunder
Cups = Lake
Swords = Wind
Disks = Mountain

Not sure what he does about other trigrams, but here comes a clue.

Only minors for which trigrams are mentioned in BofT: (Quotes are from Book of Thoth)

3 of Wands "Sol in Airies" 11 (Earth over Heaven)

6 of Cups "Sol in Scorpio" 20 (Wind over Earth) "Big Earth"

10 of Cups "Sol in Gemini" 43 (Lake over Heaven) "watery modification of the Phallus"

4 of Disks "Sol in Capricornus" 2 (Earth over Earth) "female principle"

8 of Disks "Sol in Virgo" 33 (Heaven over Mountain) "Big Air"

Hope this helps!

Let me know if my trigram names are confusing. There are so many translations, I don't know if I am communicating the meaning properly!

Just wanted to post this info here for future readers. Thanks, rachelcat!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib216.htm ~ Crowley's I Ching translation

cardlady22

Feng Shui Tarot: trigrams

OK, I'm sorting through the book & deck. Eileen Connolly has assigned trigrams, not hexagrams, to the cards. The book says she used form school rather than compass school. One site I stumbled across said that form is related to landforms and compass is placement by direction. So it makes me feel like one is landscaping your yard & the other is your re-decorator???

page tui Lake
knight chen Thunder
queen k'un Earth
king chien Heaven

The cards end up sorted into their Tarot Constellations and then are laid out on the bagua. *There appears to be a print error on page 49 2005, First Edition under Green Dragon - East, the trigram should be two broken lines above one solid. Throughout the text for individual cards, the correct trigram symbol is used.

5 is the yin-yang symbol; positioned center

1 is given to k'an Water; positioned North
2 is given to k'un Earth; positioned Southwest, earth
3 is given to chen Thunder; positioned East
4 is given to sun Wind; positioned Southeast, wood

6 is given to chien Heaven; positioned Northwest, metal
7 is given to tui Lake; positioned West
8 is given to ken Mountain; positioned Northeast, earth
9 is given to li Fire; positioned Northwest, metal (Fool is here)

Red Phoenix (cups) ~ positioned South, fire, 9
White Tiger (swords) ~ positioned West, metal, 7
Black Tortoise (wands) ~ positioned North, water, 1
Green Dragon (pentacles) ~ positioned East, wood, 3

creakingcricket

cardlady22 said:
Anyway, I'd like to see some schemes/frameworks for how people have assigned a hexagram to a particular tarot card. . . . Please inundate me with books and links!!! I like to stew in it until I feel like a little white raisin!

Little white raisin. . . white is the color of autumn, the time of the White Tiger and the beginning of frost covered earth. Hexagrams may link to tarot cards through (sorry, Thirteen) seasonality. There are two seasonal arrangements of hexagrams: 1. The Great Zhou Mandala, King Wen's original prison meditation (of which I am the sole proponent :). WARNING: the website for this is infected), and 2. The Hexagram Calendar.

The Hexagram Calendar may be found as the "Blofeld's calendar" (it's in the appendix of Blofeld's I Ching) or as the "Meng Xi calendar", since Meng Xi used it, though some, unfortunately, believe that he invented it:

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=1562

The Hexagram Calendar -- there's only one, but numerous Daoist variations on it -- was also used by Yang Xiong in his magnificant Tai Xuan Jing, easily available in English as "The Elemental Changes" but not so easy to study.

So now all you'll need is a seasonal assignment of Tarot cards and Eureka! both systems fit together, a marriage of East and West. May I recommend, Mel's seasonal assignment of the elements with the cards arranged in three concentric circles -- trumps outermost, court in the middle, and the numbered cards innermost?

cc

cardlady22

The cricket speaks . . . I shall return the meadow's edge often. :grin:
Thank you!

Raindance

I love my Feng Shui Tarot. I got it for Mother's Day two years ago and it has been a good deck from the start.