Astrological correspondences to tarot

BigLuna

Are you an astrologer/tarot reader that uses the two systems together? This is a real interest of mine. It was tarot that led me to astrology, as a matter of fact, from reading a little about the correspondences. I realized one day that, for me, tarot is a picture of astrology.

It's interesting to look at an astrological placement with the corresponding cards. Here's an example from the system I use for Sun at 18 Aries in the 4th house:

Sun = Sun -- Aries = Emperor -- 4th House = Chariot (Cancer)

The minor arcana card is the 3 of Wands, because it corresponds to 10-19.59 degrees of Aries. The court card assigned to Aries is the King of Wands.

A whole study can be made of pairing the cards. To continue the example, the Sun with the 3oW and the Chariot. Or the Sun with the KoW and the 3oW.

This can be a fun way to visualize a planet in a sign in a house. Lay out aspects opposite each other to gain more insights.

There aren't many resources dedicated to this. Maybe it's just not that popular, but I really love it. I'm hoping someone else does, too. If you use different associations (like the Golden Dawn), I'd love to hear about them.

cardlady22

Sounds really fun! I just got Muriel Hasbrouck's book in the mail today. Once I read a bit more about it, I'd love to come back and compare notes & ideas!

BigLuna

I hope you enjoy the book. It's one of the few available on this topic.

cardlady22

I know an author who has written extensively on a system for associations with the playing cards: Iain McLaren-Owens

I love making Card Calendars and playing with the Sabian Symbols too!

BigLuna

What's a card calendar? How do you do that?

Maggiemay

I just started looking into regular playing cards ( for fun) but it's a tad confusing to me because it seems the interpretations of the playing cards aren't always equivalent to the Tarot cards. And the Lenormand playing cards even less.

Maggie :)

Maggiemay

BigLuna said:
Are you an astrologer/tarot reader that uses the two systems together? This is a real interest of mine. It was tarot that led me to astrology, as a matter of fact, from reading a little about the correspondences. I realized one day that, for me, tarot is a picture of astrology.

Absolutely. In fact, The Hermit reconciled me with Saturn.

For example, to me, a mars-saturn conjunction is equivalent to the Tower and then I'll an another card depending in which sign that conjunction is.

Or, the classic, moon in taurus being depicted wonderfully I find, by the high priestess.

I also use tarot to represent concepts, for example, I picture a situation of Love at first sight, with the Tower followed by the Moon.

I also have a lot of fun with it since it engages my imagination. ( I know you understand what I mean)

Maggie

cardlady22

For people who might want to see the work before deciding whether to buy:
www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/gbt/index.htm
the text to A.E. Thierens book, General Book of the Tarot

~*~*~*~*~
Re: Card Calendars (playing card)
The one that Bee posted is great, especially for larger periods of time! I've focused at the one-year level though.

There's this version used by Olney Richmond, Order of the Magi, Sacred Symbols of the Ancients, Lein, Camp, Morrell, Jeffers, etc.
www.awakeastrology.com/cards/Samples/cardchart.htm
~ It begins its changes along with the Gregorian calendar months and descends numerically.

Marthy Jones has a version where the suits change where the zodiac signs do (according to that way of viewing the elements) but the card-to-day assignments ascend numerically. It's shown in the preview pages on Amazon. (page 6 according to the book's numbering)
It's in the Cards ISBN: 0877286000 Weiser
~ Most people didn't like the card delineations because of the switched elemental associations, but looking at the calendar will give you an idea of how the "set-up" work is done. Just use your own preferred suit symbols and/or elements & season.

Personally, I've got a notebook filled with comparisons of the ones I played around with different "start points" for
*equinoxes
*solstices
*Ancient Egyptian
*Celtic Tree

I really like the flow of using a 13 month 28 day, regardless of the start dates.

BigLuna

Bernice and cardlady22 -- Thanks! Those are all intriquing.

Dusty Bunker and Faith Javane has something similiar to Bernice's card calendar in their book, "Numerology and the Divine Triangle" which is very much a tarot book. They use the tarot cards, though, instead of regular playing cards with the court cards assigned to the seasons.

I didn't know they were called card calendars.

Does anybody use the Golden Dawn's system?

The planets associated with numerology are interesting to me when working with the tarot cards. I tend to stick to that system. Assigning your own meanings, like Maggie has done, is good, too.

Maggie, how did the Hermit reconcile you with Saturn?