Arabic Lots In Synastry

Maggiemay

Hello,

Following a post by Minderwiz about 'Arabic lots' aka 'Greek lots' , I have been having some fun with the 'arabic lots calculator' :

(calculator ) http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/arabicparts/index.php

Anyhow, I used it within a synastry between my ex and I. And I've got to tell you that it was right on target.

Yup! The Lots of catastrophy and disasters ( amongst others), were right where they should be ( ie: the fifth house!) lol ... :( (ok, just exaggerating a tad but still....)

-- But then again, I only looked at one synastry.

However, I was rather amazed and would really consider using these in the future.

Just sharing... :)

Maggie

Minderwiz

To be honest I've never tried using the Arabian Parts in synastry and I'm not exactly sure how I'd interpret them in such a case.

When you said you had used it within a synastry, exactly what did you do?

Maggiemay

Minderwiz said:
To be honest I've never tried using the Arabian Parts in synastry and I'm not exactly sure how I'd interpret them in such a case.

When you said you had used it within a synastry, exactly what did you do?

I've calculated all the lots for me and then for my ex ( I use that ex everytime I do an experiment...) ;) lol

Then I compared his lots to my chart. And my lots to his chart.

What I also did was to calculate those lots for our combine davison relationship chart which I also compared to our respective natal charts and their lots ... The results were rather startling...

I could pm my findings to you if you wish to have a look. :)

Maggie

ps : Minderwiz, may I ask you why you chose to not post any comments on my 'harmonic thread' ? Am I to understand that harmonics are not significative at all? I would love to get your opinion on the subject. :)

Minderwiz

Maggiemay said:
I've calculated all the lots for me and then for my ex ( I use that ex everytime I do an experiment...) ;) lol

Then I compared his lots to my chart. And my lots to his chart.

What I also did was to calculate those lots for our combine davison relationship chart which I also compared to our respective natal charts and their lots ... The results were rather startling...

I could pm my findings to you if you wish to have a look. :)

Maggie

ps : Minderwiz, may I ask you why you chose to not post any comments on my 'harmonic thread' ? Am I to understand that harmonics are not significative at all? I would love to get your opinion on the subject. :)

LOL, There are three main reasons I haven't posted yet,

Firstly I wanted to see if someone else took up the 'challenge' so you got a variety of views

Secondely I was engrossed in the Algol thread and

Thirdly, I can't keep up with you :)

I'll dig out my copy of Addy and get back to you

Edited to add:

Yes PM me your ex's details.

Maggiemay

Minderwiz said:
(...) Thirdly, I can't keep up with you :)
Ohhhhh... I seeeee ( said the blind man!!!) LOL
Well...what can I say? Too bad for you!!!! Cause there's a looooot more questions coming your way!! ...LOL

Minderwiz said:
I'll dig out my copy of Addy and get back to you
No rush. really. I shoot away my questions *like an AK 47 tumbling down a mountain...* (as per you...) ;) but far from me to demand instanteanous responses....lol

Minderwiz said:
(...) Yes PM me your ex's details.

Details coming up.....''right after this short break'' LOL

Maggie

Minderwiz

I've done a little thinking and research and asked a few questions.

My feeling is that Arabian Parts (many of which originated in Hellenistic Astrology as 'Lots') can be used within a synastry analysis but with some qualifications.

A composite chart is very much an abstraction, as are such things as midpoints and Arabian Parts. So any Arabian Part calculated from a composite chart is an abstraction of an abstraction and therefore too remote to attach any real meaning too.

If we are to consider the Arabian Parts within a potential romantic relationship it is after other things have been looked at, such as planetary positions and aspects between charts as well as planets in each other's houses.

The Arabic Part that would be relevant would be the Part of Marriage. Or more accurately speaking the Parts of Marriage, as there are three versions. All stem from Greek Astrology.

Paulus Alexandrinus uses the Ascendant, Saturn and Venus,
For Men it's Asc + Venus - Saturn
for Women Asc + Saturn - Venus

The use of Saturn as well as Venus suggests a more formal and committed relationship.

Vettius Valens has two measures, for the first we have:

Day births (both sexes) Asc + Venus - Jupiter
night births (both sexes) Asc + Jupiter - Venus

According to Josehph Crane (Astrological Roots, The Hellenistic Legacy) This is marriage as a positive public role and uses the two benefics.

Valens' alternative is perhaps more connected to the negative side, with love leading to downfall of depresion:

For Men (day and night) ASc + Venus - Sun
For Women (daay and night) Asc + Mars - Moon

Note this measure uses Mars for women and Venus for men - the opposite sex (naturally) and uses Sun as the male light and Moon as the female light respectively. Note also that the Sun is in Fall in Libra, Venus' sign and The Moon is in Fall in Scorpio, Mars' sign.

So this is the Part to use when looking at issues where romantic or sexual relationships can cause unhapiness or even ruin lives.

Foe Positive outcome the Man's Part must agree with the Lot of Spirit (the lot of the Sun) and the Woman's Part must agree with the Part of Fortune (Lot of the Moon). Agreement here might be through sign relationships or good aspects between the rulers of the lots.

For analysis look to see which planet rules the Part, it's position, condition and aspects. If comparing to another person's chart, look to see if one of their planets is conjunct the Part (or in aspect to it) and judge by the planet and it's rulerships in their chart.

Remember the Parts may shed light on issues but they are not prime actors in a chart. The are abstractions, calculated by using relevant planets. The role of Venus in love is clearly shown by her use in most of these Parts.

Parts proliferated under the Arabs and many of the later additions are questionable, so keep to the key ones. Fortune, Spirit and a handful of others, of which the Parts of marriage, may be included.

Maggiemay

Minderwiz!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I will get on my 'calculator' and check it out...this very evening!

:) Maggie

Edited to add:
I checked the lots on some synastries I am familiar with.
I enjoyed what I found.
However, some interpretations could be somewhat tricky when the lots are making aspects to planets.
eg: ' One's Vetius Valens' negative part of marriage in conjunction with the partner's sun & jupiter.

Maggie :)