It's a Crime!

Metafizzypop

I just found out that tarot is illegal in the town I live in. After living here for twenty years I just discovered that "fortune-telling" is a crime, an offense against the code of "Peace and Good Order," and is grouped in the same category as disturbing the peace, running a house of ill-repute, and selling candy shaped like people's private parts.

I know that the legalities of tarot have come up before on this forum, but I just had to talk about this because I am genuinely extremely surprised about it, and annoyed, especially since all the neighbouring towns have no problem with the metaphysical business at all. The next town over from me has someone who deals in tarot, palmistry, and handwriting analysis. A couple of other nearby towns have people who do astrology and tarot.

The ordinance in my town says this:

"Code 139-16: Fortune-telling.
It shall be unlawful for any person to pursue or practice within the town the business, vocation, profession or art of fortune-teller, clairvoyant, spirit medium (except where same is part of a religious belief and practice), necromancer, palmist or other crafty or occult art or pretended art of telling past events of another's life or other's lives or affairs or in anywise revealing things of the past or in the future of a secret or hidden nature, or of giving advice or assistance in matters of business or affairs of any other kind or nature by means of such art, or of purporting to so tell, foretell, reveal or give advice or assistance by means of such art; and no person shall so pursue or practice within the town any such business, vocation or profession whether for a fee, gratuity, thing of value or whether by offer or upon request."

It sounds like the code is against divination as a profession, not as a hobby. Still, the question remains.

How is it that one town can decide to outlaw a particular type of business when all the surrounding towns allow it? I'm baffled.

jrr01

Oh people wearing bad clothing and charging over price for small items is not illegal, but tarot reading is...? What The Hellen...? You should send a letter to the mayor or something, if one wants to make profit of reading tarot cards that's their business. This is invading of one's free will...!!!!!

So I take that selling floral and antiques are going to be banded to...?

Where do you live that this is illiegal...?

SphinYote

Call it artistic counseling rather than Divination or fortune-telling.

Tarot is artwork, after all.

Make sure you use the Jungian tarot....;)

KSPisces

Do you live in my town????

Sadly, this is how my town is too. My psychic was actually driven out of town. She was not allowed to advertise in the paper, the phone book, or on the radio. IF you went to her house for a reading, it had to be completely on the down low.

And she wasn't some freak wandering the town in billowing robes, smudging everything with sage. She was just a normal lady with an amazing ability!!!

It got to the point where she would head one town over and set up "shop" at clients houses to do readings. It was just easier for her that way.

She's now moved out of state, but still drops in occasionally. I always have to chuckle at the e-mails she sends out. "Hey gang! I'll be at this address on THIS date, this address on THIS date, and you can find me at Barnes and Noble on THIS date." Poor thing. LOL!

BUT... not much can be said about this. Some towns still live in the Dark Ages. Our New Age section in the library consists of TWO Sylvia Browne books. That's it. Hell, in our local school district, they allowed the Giddeons to come and hand out Bibles. Can you imagine?!?! But don't you dare try to read a Tarot Card.

You have to laugh, or you'd cry.

How is it that one town can decide to outlaw a particular type of business when all the surrounding towns allow it? I'm baffled.

If it's a city ordinance, it all comes down to (more than likely) your city commissioners. In our town, they are all white-collar, good Christian businessmen who would never take the time or effort to really understand anything other than "Thou Shalt" and "Thou Shalt Not". To try and fight it would probably make it worse.

tigerlily

*g* Just hop over the pond. We have naughty candy, too })

jrr01

Metafizzypop & KSPisces I take it you two live up in the 18th - 19th century Salem era New England States...?

I hope that law does not hit down here Texas... :(

tigerlily said:
*g* Just hop over the pond. We have naughty candy, too })

Well you can jump a few states down here we have big BBQ and hay ball rolling around LOL:D

Sophie

KSPisces said:
If it's a city ordinance, it all comes down to (more than likely) your city commissioners. In our town, they are all white-collar, good Christian businessmen who would never take the time or effort to really understand anything other than "Thou Shalt" and "Thou Shalt Not". To try and fight it would probably make it worse.
But isn't it against the 1st Amendment of your constitution? :confused:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, you are saying that the aldermen of a one-horse town can effectively stuff the Constitution where the sun don't shine?

I've heard of psychics getting themselves an internet-delivered Rev. title, just so they could practice under the freedom of religion bit. But to my mind, the freedom of speech guarantee should allow it. After all, if I decide to read a poem in public, and charge for it and people want to pay - I can't be stopped, can I? So why not cards and palms? Same thing.

I wonder if any psychic has ever challenged constitutionally that kind of highly dubious, unconstitutional ordinance - it would be worth a try. Outlawing one profession on the basis of bias - furthermore one that by its nature falls under freedom of speech - sounds like something that wouldn't stand up to legal scrutiny.

KSPisces

But isn't it against the 1st Amendment of your constitution?

I BELIEVE the issues come into play when you try to accept money, favors, gifts or... you know... the blood of a young lamb.

I take it you two live up in the 18th - 19th century Salem era New England States...?

Ah... CLOSE! I live in Kansas. You know, land of Creationism? LOL!

Sophie

KSPisces said:
I BELIEVE the issues come into play when you try to accept money, favors, gifts or... you know... the blood of a young lamb.
Ah, so the press doesn't accept money for selling newspapers, then? And reverends who preach in church do it for no money? And writers don't get paid either, presumably?

I still think it can be challenged constitutionally. From a legal perspective, I see no difference between the examples I've given above, and reading tarot cards for a reasonable, market-value fee.