unusual tarot things

starchild

i so hope this post is in the right place, if not im sorry to the moderators for the work they have to put in changing posts all over the place.

anyway, next winter i am planning on opening a new shop in my town with a partner, a good friend of mine who is also a tarot reader and we connect very well and have been close friends for years.

but this shop we want to be different from the other spiritual shops around here, (i am english but live in spain) and i use the word "spirutal" because thats the only word i can think of to get across the kind of shop we intend to open. i guess new age shop could be a better word. anyway.

one of the ideas that we are hooked on at the moment is to stay away from the bigger companys as i did with my last shop and to sell more unique and handmade things. but i cant seem to find any websites that sell handmade or unusual tarot, new age things. (i am rubish at crafts so i will not be even attempting to make anything myself, i did have one go at a tarot bag once and that got tossed in the bin as it was such a nightmare for me)

does anyone know any sites i can look around in.
i have done a search and spent quite a while hunting but didnt find much.

any tips are more then welcome. at the moment our heads are blowing off with ideas, and its a very interesting time for us. but i would love some imput from you guys. we have a good few months to hunt around.

swimming in tarot

Gosh, as a do-it-yourself type your question puts me a bit at a loss, because if a thing doesn't exist, I tend to make it, if I can. I'm not in Europe, but in North America there is Lee Valley Tools, which has various neat little boxes and so forth, needle cases, all not modern looking, and often cheapish. I might be curious about getting something similar from a local equivalent supplier, and customizing each one with stain, or linseed oil and beeswax finish for a wonderful smell, and offer a list of which decks would fit in it. Mind you, this would put your selling price up a fair bit, to recoup your costs. Is there the equivalent of Chinatown with all kinds of cheap, natural material, miscellaneous imports that you could customize? Maybe even silks? Maybe you could enlist the help, say, of a stay-at-home Mom, or handy granny looking for something to do, who would like some extra income making generic tarot bags from remnants, no two alike. Fabric stores often have odd-sized roll-ends in the mark-down bin. If the bags are presented with decks that are chromatically similar, so much the more tempting!

I'm having fun just thinking about this. Wish I could be closer for you! :)

Sinduction

Why not post an ad in your area? I'm sure there are plenty of crafty people that could supply you with such things. That's what I would do. Send out an ad looking for hand crafted whatever and see what you get that would be suited to tarot.

Unless you want to learn yourself, which is tons of fun.

I mostly have to learn a new skill just to get whatever it is that I want at the moment. :D

Raien

A site that's fun for handmade stuff is www.etsy.com. I searched it and came up with almost two hundred results for tarot bags and boxes. I'm not sure if it's mostly a US site or what, but if you really like anyone's work, you could probably get in touch with them and get them to do a bunch for you at a cheaper price than what they have listed.

starchild

thankyou. very inspiring replys. ive phoned an arty crafty friend i have and she is happy to have a go at making some tarot bags,

the site i was sent to was a great insperation and just what i was looking for. there are some items there, like the tarot charm braceletts that i just love. a realy great site thankyou.

starchild

i just had a google search bring me back to AT and i have found quite a few more links to sites that sell all things tarot. AT realy never stops amazing me.

lilaclona

Raien said:
A site that's fun for handmade stuff is www.etsy.com. I searched it and came up with almost two hundred results for tarot bags and boxes. I'm not sure if it's mostly a US site or what, but if you really like anyone's work, you could probably get in touch with them and get them to do a bunch for you at a cheaper price than what they have listed.

This is actually a good suggestion. A friend of mine showed me the link to etsy not long ago, haven't looked around on it much but it seems like a site where you can get some very cool and unique items.

red :)

Great idea !!
i wish i was closer to where you are!!!. i love making tarot bags , clothes ect.
but practice makes perfect. buy some cheap material and practice making simple designs. you will get the hang of it in no time. also find some cheap plain wooden boxes and paint them and line the inside with silk or velvet. get cheap note books and cover them with patterned material. buy cheap woven or cotton bags and sew ribbon and beads onto the, even doing the same to vintage cloths can create a very original item. things like that are easy to do and because they are hand made no 'one' will be the same:)
am not sure if any of this hepls but i hope it did :)
good luck and have fun !!!

Le Fanu

Great idea. Wish I could sew some for you. Im sure your shop will be a great success; they love esoteric stuff and tarot in Spain. Where exactly is it? Maybe I´ll be passing nearby one day...

canid

Many people here sell things in Advertising. Have you looked there yet? There are a lot of interesting things.