Antiscons : Is That The Name Of A Vegetable?

Maggiemay

Hello,

Could anyone tell me what Antiscons are? Do I need to know about it? Because, from the little bit that I read, it seems rather complicated.

What do you think?

Thank you,

Maggie :)

Maggiemay

LOL!

Now, I am REALLY curious to know!

The suspense is killing me....lol

Regards,

Minderwiz

BigLuna is gently pointing out that you need to make some progress in Astrology before you start using them.

Their main use these days is in Horary Astrology and that's not something you've ventured into very much. Their use in Natal Astrology is now almost defunct but in the good old days when Astrologers were a power in the world, they were used in every branch of Astrology.

I'm tempted to leave it there but knowing you, you will start roaming the internet for information if I don't say something.

Antiscia is the plural of Antiscion. This is a connection between planets that is similar in effect to a conjunction. Identifying one is not straightforward, without the appropriate software. In effect they are two points in the zodiac which lie equidistant from the axis between the two solstice points (0 Cancer to 0 Capricorn) but lie on opposite sides - like a mirror image.

Thus in terms of Signs, Gemini is the antiscion of Cancer, Taurus is the antiscion of Leo and Aries is the antiscion of Virgo. You can work out the other three sign antscions by following the pattern of moving one sign back in each direction.

The arkward thing is that this also applies to degrees. So the antiscion of 1 degree Cancer is 29 degrees Gemini. and the antiscion of 10 degrees Aries is 20 degrees Virgo (note the two degrees must add to 30). Obviously the same rule applies if minutes and seconds are used as well as degrees.

If you think about it, 0 degrees Cancer is the longest day (a day being the period of light) So Antiscion degrees share the same length of day and night. The closer the degrees are to 0 Capricorn, the shorter will be the length of daylight at the two degrees.

So this is a real connection, not some hypothetical construct. Contact by antiscion is taken as evidence that the answer to the horary question is 'yes'.

Just to pique your appetite there are contra-antiscia, which are points that are mirror images on the equinoctial axis (0 degrees Aries to 0 degrees Libra). These are similar to oppositions. As with antiscia, there is a real link in that signs in contra-antiscion take the same time to rise above the horizon. (equal times of ascending).

In horary a link by contra-antiscion between two significators would suggest that whatever was quesited would not come to pass - the answer is 'No'

Animal, Vegetable or Mineral? John Frawley jokingly refers to them as furry little animals LOL

Maggiemay

I took another look at it... This is a case of curiosity killing the cat!!

I am now reading about parallel and contra-parallel... that alone is making me run..

I don't know... I'll see about those stuff later I guess.

Maggiemay

Minderwiz said:
I'm tempted to leave it there but knowing you, you will start roaming the internet for information if I don't say something.
You know me sooo well!
Now let me go read what you wrote!

Edited to add :

Minderwiz, I read your thorough post. You have quenched my curiosity! It is very well explained indeed.
Now, I know 2 things: #1 what antiscions are about & #2 it's more than I can chew!
I would have searched endlessly. You've save me quite a bit of time!

God bless,

firecatpickles

Does the anti-scion have to be vertical (i.e., on the solsticial plane) ?

Minderwiz

Think of the solstice axis as a mirror.

Thus 29 degrees Gemini reflects to 1 degree Cancer
28 degrees Gemini reflects to 2 degrees Cancer
27 degrees Gemini reflects to 3 degrees Cancer
26 degrees Gemini reflects to 4 degrees Cancer and so on.

Notice that the total always adds to 30.

At sign level:

Gemini reflects to Cancer
Taurus reflects to Leo
Aries reflects to Virgo
Pisces reflects to Libra
Aquarius reflects to Scorpio
Capricorn reflects to Sagittarius

But in each pair of signs the number of degrees adds to 30 and follows the pattern of the Gemini Cancer pair.

In terms of 'vertical' the pairing of 0 degrees Aries and '30 degrees Virgo' (0 Degrees Libra of course) is at right angles to the solstice Line and is the Equinoctial axis. But apart from this pairing all the other antiscia pairs are not vertical but they do have the same angle to the solstice axis.