King of Cups - a man in love?

BrightEye

I always thought of him as someone who hides their emotions or has them under control. But I've been using the Harmonious Tarot and I can't help thinking that this King looks so obviously in love, as if he's wearing his heart on his sleeve. I'll see if I can find a scan... Any unorthodox thoughts on this king?

SPIRIT HAWK

i ama complete beginner , i use the charmen casselli deck , to me he can represent anyother king being passionate about what they love at that phase intime like there job , but in general as in relationships they are inlove and are very loving and caring and not ashamed of there feelings , and have found there ideal partner relationship which in turn could represent another king like he could be the king of pentecles but , as he,s fell inlove or found what makeshim happy and he is passionate about ruschkax

firefrost

Hi BE - I've just been to Drak's page and seen the card. I think he goes well with the deck title!

Having said that, I always think of the King of Cups as someone in love and not afraid to show it but also in control. I'm not sure the Harmonious king is!

I'm using my Anna K tarot just now and that king sits alone looking happy and cozy, reading in front of a fire.

It'll be interesting to see what others think...

BrightEye

firefrost said:
I always think of the King of Cups as someone in love and not afraid to show it but also in control. I'm not sure the Harmonious king is!
That's precisely my feeling about this king. This card came up as the base or shadow card of a reading. I know who this king is irl.

SPIRIT HAWK

sorry i dient put that very well did i!!! what i meant is he may be the king of pentecles , but he can become the kingof cups when he finds what makes him happy and feels passionate about be it relationship, his job, or somthing he is studying , so any of the kings can become the king of cups when they find what makes them happy, lol i hope i make sense now x

Aurelious

The Gilded Tarot shows the king as one who sits in his throne and keeps his feet barely on top of the water. He has complete control of his emotions and keeps them in check...and shows this to anyone.

However, he stares at the cup he holds with a look of...regret...desire. He is in control of his emotions...but he seems to be lacking something. He looks almost complacent and bored.

I usually see the King of Cups as someone who is indeed in love...but this is mature, strong love. Not just a fling, and not without it's base. He "knows" this could be the relationship he is seeking. Or it could represent someone already in a relationship (he shares my sign and I resonate strongly with him, which is why I worry about his complacent look at his cup.)

WalesWoman

The King of Cups has come up in my readings to show the man's intent, that he is in love, he's comfortable with it, owns his feelings and it's his choice, he's not some helpless person with his emotions out of control, not a slave to love, but it's master. Possibly has made a conscious choice to love, to protect, cherish and honor that love as well, he knows and wields the power of love.

I would also think that he is aware or feels he is the King, the top of the heap, that he knows he is loved, respected and held in high esteem.

Looking at the link, this card looks like he shares those same feelings, holding up his cup, as a declaration to the World, poised to take the next step forward. I'd say he's a man in love and not afraid to show it or go with it.

Thirteen

BrightEye said:
I always thought of him as someone who hides their emotions or has them under control. But I've been using the Harmonious Tarot and I can't help thinking that this King looks so obviously in love, as if he's wearing his heart on his sleeve.
Most certainly the King/Cups is a man in love. BUT the thing you have to remember about the King as compared to the Knight/Cups is that he isn't in love like a teenager swooning over his first girlfriend.

King/Cups is "in love" with something much larger. His family. His friends. His kingdom. His scope is far wider and more mature when it comes to love. So, yes, he still loves and adores his queen, but she's not the only one. He loves all he's built, and created, and fostered. All his sons and daughters, even the prodigal ones, all his relatives and friends, even the foolish and problematic ones. All of his home and land and business, which he tries to make spiritual and good.

Of course the King/Cups is in love. That's his greatest strength and his greatest weakness, that he is in love with it all, and is too forgiving of its failings, and when he can't be, when he must acknowledge them, they break his heart.

Grizabella

I don't think saying the King of Cups has his feelings under control means he hides them. I think it means he just expresses them in a controlled way. Instead of shouting from the rooftops, he'll whisper sweet nothings, for instance. Or instead of getting on one knee in a busy mall and pleading "please, please PLEASE PLEASE marry me", he'll make a private romantic dinner for two by candlelight to propose marriage. Instead of french kissing and groping you in the movie theater, he'll wait till you're behind closed doors for all that and just hold your hand and maybe give you a discreet kiss on the cheek in the theater. Instead of sending umpteen dozen roses to your workplace, he'll pick some wildflowers and give them to you when he picks you up for a date.

The King of Wands does the flamboyant stuff while the King of Cups is more subdued.

The King of Pentacles would steal a rose from someone else's bouquet and give it to you.

The King of Swords would just tell you he was going to bring flowers but tell you why it was unnecessary to do that. (Couldn't think of a better example for the King of Swords at the moment. :p )

Of all the Kings, the King of Swords would be the one with the hidden feelings, in my opinion.